Join Early Retirement Today

Don't Need Real ID If You Have Passport
Old 08-02-2019, 07:29 PM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Don't Need Real ID If You Have Passport

I took a ton of documents with me to renew my driver's license, but it turned out that because only the last four digits of my social were showing on my 1099, I didn't have what I needed.

Luckily, I decided to just renew and get a regular old driver's license, figuring I'd go back at my leisure to get a Real ID.

Then Lena informed me that if I have a passport, I don't need a Real ID. So I'm good for another eight years.

I was also worried that I'd fail the vision test because of my PVD, but I passed with flying colors.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-02-2019, 07:34 PM   #2
Give me a forum ...

That’s correct. A US issued passport is a Real ID. Just don’t forget to carry it for domestic flights starting 1 October 2020.
Old 08-02-2019, 07:44 PM   #3
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Thanks, TromboneAl. It's good to know.

I went to renew DM's driver license to regular ID (she no longer can drive). The lady at the DMV thought DM was applying for real ID and asked for 2 IDs (passport, SS), and two proofs that she lives in the current address like PG&E bill, etc.. Of course, I didn't have them all. So, I told the lady that she won't be traveling again and just issue her a regular id. And that was that. If it becomes DW and my turn to get a real ID, I will come ready with all the docs. If not, passport it is.
robnplunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2019, 07:53 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post
I took a ton of documents with me to renew my driver's license, but it turned out that because only the last four digits of my social were showing on my 1099, I didn't have what I needed.

I guess you never are too old to learn. Got an extra 50 steps in today because I couldn't believe this...........but you are right, except geezers have an advantage because the SSA-1099 still has the full number (as of 2018, anyway). Must be what I took.

In my state the lines at DMV are a disaster so you really want to get it done when you have to have it renewed and not make a special trip.
kaneohe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2019, 08:07 PM   #5
Give me a forum ...

I finally got the gold star on my TXDL when I renewed recently. I supplied my SS card, and they always have required, and I took my passport.

I have to go renew in person because I have to fill out a form claiming that I don’t drive commercially as I have a class B (heavy vehicle) license.

I made an appointment online. The place was jam packed, like couple 100 people, but I was the 4th person called once I checked in at the door.
Old 08-02-2019, 08:12 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
That’s correct. A US issued passport is a Real ID. Just don’t forget to carry it for domestic flights starting 1 October 2020.
Will everyone need a current passport for domestic travel then?

(I don't want to renew mine as I have no plans to leave the country AGAIN)
Old 08-02-2019, 08:19 PM   #7

If you don’t have the real ID on your license and you use your passport, can you use the passport card? Or, do you need the passport book?
Old 08-02-2019, 08:23 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post

Luckily, I decided to just renew and get a regular old driver's license, figuring I'd go back at my leisure to get a Real ID.

Then Lena informed me that if I have a passport, I don't need a Real ID. So I'm good for another eight years.

I was also worried that I'd fail the vision test because of my PVD, but I passed with flying colors.
My passport was expired so I had a bit of difficulty. I like the fact this version of my ID shows I am a veteran right on it. I don't think I have any other official form besides the 214 that shows this so the convenience of having that designation right on the ID was worth the cost. Sounds like I might be doing a bit of international travel again soon so I will need to finally renew the passport that expired 6mos ago. I pray that process is easier.
Old 08-02-2019, 08:40 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry1 View Post
If you don’t have the real ID on your license and you use your passport, can you use the passport card? Or, do you need the passport book?
Yes, if traveling domestically but not internationally.
And whatever your labors and aspirations in the noisy confusion of life, keep peace in your soul. With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be cheerful. Strive to be happy.- Desiderata by Max Ehrmann
MissMolly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2019, 09:24 PM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
According to travel.state.gov, the passport card is good for

Quote:
Entering the United States at land border crossings and sea ports-of-entry from:
Canada
Mexico
The Caribbean
Bermuda

The passport card cannot be used for international air travel.

The passport card is Real ID compliant and can be used for domestic air travel.
I just renewed my DL today and chose to not go for the real ID version. We may explore getting the passport cards (already have regular passports) for North American travel.
Old 08-02-2019, 09:34 PM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by aja8888 View Post
Will everyone need a current passport for domestic travel then?

(I don't want to renew mine as I have no plans to leave the country AGAIN)
No, if your state issued driver license is real ID compliant, you won’t need a Federal issued ID like a passport to fly domestically.
Old 08-02-2019, 09:35 PM   #12
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I am pretty sure passport card is good for domestic air travel as well as border crossings.
Old 08-02-2019, 10:05 PM   #13

A Global Entry card is supposed to be good also.
Animorph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2019, 06:32 AM   #14
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bestwifeever View Post
According to travel.state.gov, the passport card is good for
Quote:
Entering the United States at land border crossings and sea ports-of-entry from:
Canada
Mexico
The Caribbean
Bermuda

The passport card cannot be used for international air travel.

The passport card is Real ID compliant and can be used for domestic air travel.
Some states also have "Enhanced" drivers licenses that combine a drivers license and passport card into one card. I have one.

Quote:
An enhanced driver's license (EDL) in U.S. English, enhanced driver's licence in Canadian English, or enhanced ID in other common usage, is a card which functions both as driving licence and ID card with limited passport features issued in some states in the United States and some provinces in Canada to people who are both citizens of the country and residents in the relevant region, compliant with the Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative.

An enhanced driver's license is allowed to be used as an alternative to a passport for international land and sea travel, but not air travel, to countries that recognize it. The card includes machine-readable RFID and barcode for automated identification of the card and its holder.

As a Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative-compliant travel document, an EDL may be used for "official purposes" (such as boarding a domestic flight) covered by the U.S. REAL ID Act. However, a U.S. state that issues only EDLs, but does not issue any other REAL ID-compliant driver's license, is not deemed compliant with the REAL ID Act unless granted an extension. Likewise, REAL ID-compliant licenses alone are not sufficient to cross international borders, even if a state gives its REAL ID-compliant licenses a similar name.

Enhanced driver's licenses are available to U.S. citizens who reside in the states of Michigan, Minnesota, New York, Vermont, and Washington.

Enhanced driver's licenses are available to Canadian citizens residing in British Columbia, Manitoba, Ontario, and formerly Quebec. After running it for five years, Quebec discontinued the enhanced driver's license program, citing low demand as the reason. Current enhanced driver's license (Driver's Licence Plus) identification cards will remain valid until their expiration dates. ....

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2019, 07:11 AM   #15

I wouldn't like carrying my passport around on every domestic flight. I didn't get the card. Yuck.
Old 08-03-2019, 07:38 AM   #16

I have an "Enhanced" DL.

If you drive to places like Canada, a "Enhanced" DL will get you through the gates. If you live in MN, that is handy. Also a "Enhanced" DL works on a flight domestically.

It saves from having to carry a passport around. I already carry my ID, why carry anything else if I do not have to.
FIRE no later than 7/5/2016 at 56 (done), securing '16 401K match (done), getting '15 401K match (done), LTI Bonus (done), Perf bonus (done), maxing out 401K (done), picking up 1,000 hours to get another year of pension (done), July 1st benefits (vacation day, healthcare) (done), July 4th holiday. 0 days left. (done) OFFICIALLY RETIRED 7/5/2016!!
Senator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2019, 09:21 AM   #17
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Animorph View Post
A Global Entry card is supposed to be good also.
Sure, it’s a Federal photo ID.
Old 08-03-2019, 11:45 AM   #18
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator View Post
I have an "Enhanced" DL.

If you drive to places like Canada, a "Enhanced" DL will get you through the gates. If you live in MN, that is handy. Also a "Enhanced" DL works on a flight domestically.

It saves from having to carry a passport around. I already carry my ID, why carry anything else if I do not have to.
+1 I golf in Canada 5-10 times a year and it makes crossing the border easy peasy since I always have my wallet and EDL with me.... I don't have to remember to bring my passport if I'm golfing in Canada.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2019, 12:07 PM   #19
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
No, if your state issued driver license is real ID compliant, you won’t need a Federal issued ID like a passport to fly domestically.
Thanks, I didn't know about the DL having the designation. Mine does since I renewed it last year.
Old 08-03-2019, 01:03 PM   #20
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaneohe View Post
In my state the lines at DMV are a disaster so you really want to get it done when you have to have it renewed and not make a special trip.
I have lasting trauma from growing up in NY. Once I spent six hours in line at the DMV.

California's is excellent, though. You make an appointment, they have floaters to answer questions, and everyone is nice.