Downtown Rome!

Do Rick Steve's recommended walk....Borghese is beautiful but you have to get a reservation. The park around there is beautiful. I used it for a job when I had to train for my sprint triathlon. Being around the espresso bars during Italian breaks is like watching addicts get their fix.

You can also pick each day as a different time in history and visit the different sites based on that...ancient Rome, medieval Rome, renaissance Rome, WWII Rome, etc. A different walk each day with a theme.....

First time, I stayed on Via Sistina, at the top of the Spanish Steps. Not bad but there's more activity further south. Villa Borghese is also north of the Spanish Steps.

My favorite areas are between the Pantheon, Campo dei Fiori and Piazza Navona.

Not very many chain hotels in this area, instead a lot of B&Bs.

But if you want a big 5-star hotel experience, you're kind of away from these areas.

Finally back from a business trip - sorry for not responding sooner.

We are in the final planning throes for the Italy/Sicily trip.

Still have resv at the Marriott Grand Flora - a bit distant from some sites, but close to Borghese. Been looking for specific recommendations in the middle of the usual tourist sites ... I can cancel out of the Marriott if it turns out something satisfies :). Have points for Marriott.

We were thinking about hiring a car from FCO ... vice the train and long walk ... anyone done this? Which service did you use?

Been reviewing sites to try and develop a suitable agenda ... trying to fit them together geographically. Lots of options. Anyone have recommendations on how to clump them together efficiently?

What to do that first 1/2 day/evening after arrival - other than NOT sleep - have read all the warnings to stay awake and reset. What to do that day/night? We arrive on a Tuesday.

Has anyone hired a guide service in order to get more from the visit? We can walk well, but usually no more than a mile or so at a time... would not be averse to maximizing the visit this way.

Thank you all for your help ... this is gonna be fun!

Looks like Uber is available in Rome. May be cheaper.

There are definitely shared shuttle services which used to be about 20 Euros per person.

As for hotels, if you stay in the centro storico, they tend to be boutique hotels or B&Bs. They get nice reviews but they're not like the 5-star hotels.

However, if you're looking to go to all the popular sites on your own, it's nice to be around Piazza Navona or Campo dei Fiori because Corso Vittorio Emmauelle runs east-west, between the Colisseum and Trevi Fountains on the eastern end to the Vatican on the west end of it.

All the public bus lines are there.

Of course you can book tours which have hotel pickups and then it won't matter as much. Hotel tours are good for skipping the lines at the Vatican Museums, Colisseum and some other places. You get a guided tour as well of course.

However, generally, I think the Piazza Navona area is more lively, with restaurants and bars all over, than way up by the Borghese.

For the guided tours, I would look through viator.com and getyourguides.com. If you have smart phones, they have apps. and the tours you book, you can get electronic vouchers that you just show them and you don't have to worry about printing out any vouchers.

Also for something like the Colisseum or the Forum, I'd try to book a day or two in advance or when there's good confident forecast about the weather. Since they're mostly outside, you may not want to be there when it rains. When it's sunny, those places look a lot better but the heat from the sun could be tough, especially in the summer.

Of course if you wait until the last minute to be sure of the weather, those tours could be sold out.

I'd look for the half day or 4-5 hour tours which are often offered twice a day in the high season (march/april to sept/oct). The all-day tours could be tiring and also kind of limit where you could eat and what you could do the first day.

As for what to do on the first day, you can ask the hotel for a local map and they'll show you where the hotel is and what's around nearby. Good to walk around, just kind of walk off the long flight as well as dine. You can ask the hotel for restaurant recommendations or research them on trip advisor and other travel sites.

Google Maps will have tons of reviews too if you happen to be able to get data access on your phones.

From around 5PM on, the restaurants you walk by they will try to get you to sit. I'd avoid those places. The places with the good reviews have no problems getting customers.

Good morning, All!

I recall one of the things we didn’t like about arriving in Paris and having to put together the transportation from special train to local train to etc .... the cost of private pickup at FCO to the hotel near Borghese looks pretty reasonable (€40 ish) ...anyone done this and would you recommend that particular company? Other option is Uber ...anyone use it from FCO to downtown?

Good morning, All!

I recall one of the things we didn’t like about arriving in Paris and having to put together the transportation from special train to local train to etc .... the cost of private pickup at FCO to the hotel near Borghese looks pretty reasonable (€40 ish) ...anyone done this and would you recommend that particular company? Other option is Uber ...anyone use it from FCO to downtown?

We did that for 50 EURO for a couple. Our place was near the British Embassy. I don’t remember the company but at the airport they approached us. There were a few couples with us, not exclusively our own transportation.

In general, you're advised not to go with people who solicit you at airports or train stations.

The licensed taxis are usually allowed to queue up at official taxi ranks.

In London for instance, you can prebook mini taxis which are cheaper than the official black taxis.

40 Euro is a good price for a couple.

In general, you're advised not to go with people who solicit you at airports or train stations.

The licensed taxis are usually allowed to queue up at official taxi ranks.

In London for instance, you can prebook mini taxis which are cheaper than the official black taxis.

40 Euro is a good price for a couple.

Yes particularly in Rome. But in our case, no cash was paid ahead until you get to destination. It was right next to the train ticket station, we were waiting to buy tickets. I’ve been to Rome before, this is not our first time.

Last edited:
Just checked Uber estimate on their site .... close to €80 from FCO to Marriott near Borghese!

rideways.com is about £40 for same route - I misquoted above when I said it was €.

Cab is pretty straightforward? I recall the many criminals I met driving cabs in Paris .... sheesh ...

Are there other private pickup companies that you have used?

Just Google Rome airport shuttle.

Uber prices may vary by time.

Are those Uber Black prices or something fancier?

Will look into bus, but thinking something a bit easier since we are gonna be tired.

Was Uber Black ... other higher option cars via Uber way more expensive.

I don’t remember the name, but the place is near the train station tickets just as we walked out of the station.

Acquaintances just posted pics from Rome as of this afternoon - the Spanish Steps look like the London subway at rush hour!

Told them to come to Toulouse. ��

One data point, I was aware of the pickpocket threat, but never actually felt “threatened”, even at Trevi and Termini. Was still on alert, though.

My family has never been pickpocketed when we were in Rome. We were on alert though. I hold my purse between my arm and armpit and I had my hand on top of it all the time.
Even when my youngest kid was there when she was 21, she knew several friends who were pickpocket but she wasn’t.

When we stayed at the Hotel Modigliani, they sent a car to FCO for us and added it the our bill. We walked to a restaurant in Borghese for Sunday brunch and watched Italian families get together there.

We also took the Hop-on Hop-off tour bus to decide what were the worthy stops.

Overwhelmed, still ... :)

So, we arrive (just south of Borghese Park on Via Veneto and Via Lazio)) on a Tuesday morning ...could I ask everyone what they would do each day following? I'll bet some of you know exactly which sites should be avoided on which days :)

Any advice on specific tours or tour companies would be much appreciated - like everyone, we want to make our time count - there is so much to see.

We wanted to do a day tour out - but not so far that it is rushed ...maybe Florence? Better on Friday, Saturday or Sunday ... or maybe even front load?

Tuesday - arrive at hotel by noon ... considered just hopping on the hop on and off buses to get overview, but open for advice!

Wednesday - Ancient Rome sites (Wed is supposed to be busy at the Vatican)

Thursday - Vatican

Friday - TBD

Saturday - TBD

Sunday - TBD

HOHO bus might be okay but you could also get a map from the hotel and walk to some nearby sights, though it looks like it would be 1 km to the Spanish Steps and about 1.3 km to the Trevi Fountains.

1 mile is 1.6 km.

And this terrain isn't level. Not too steep but on the way back you'd have to climb a bit unless you took a taxi or an Uber.

If the HOHO bus stops near your hotel, then it might be worth it.

You can find guided tours within Rome and also day trips on viator.com and getyourguide.com. You can also Google for guided tours or day trips out of Rome to find other tours or you can even figure out how to take the train to Florence yourself.

If you read a guide book or search the web for "best attractions in Rome" or "best day trips from Rome" or "1-week itinerary Rome" you will find a lot of content and you can get an idea of the things you might want to see.

Or if you go on a guided tour, the guide can often provide details about some of the attractions. They typically have the most popular attractions included in these tours, which could have hotel pickups.

The advantage of guided tours in Rome is that they often have skip the lines for the Vatican Museums and the Colosseum and the Forum.

You can certainly save some money by booking on trenitalia.com and taking the train to Florence and walking around the very flat and compact center, where you'll see most of the attractions. They have guided tours that you can join once you arrive there too.

Orvieto is another nice choice, which is closer than Florence but doesn't have all its architectural and artistic marvels. But still a beautiful town.

Even closer by are Tivoli and Ostia Antica.

We were thinking about hiring a car from FCO ... vice the train and long walk ... anyone done this? Which service did you use?

If memory serves, the official taxi rate from FCO to downtown Rome is 45 euros and the unofficial "black" taxis are 50. I know that rate is correct because that is what I paid in February to go from near the Colosseum to FCO for two people with luggage. It was a black minivan and my Airbnb host made the arrangements for us.

I've also done the train. It's pretty easy, but you do need to deal with your luggage. If you are staying near the Termini station I would recommend it as the best option.

Edit to add: We also did the shared van ride into the Rome on that trip, but I forget the price. It was raining that day, so hauling our luggage from the train to the apartment wasn't an option. I want to say the shared van was roughly equal to the cost of the train. It took longer, but they dropped us at the front door of our apartment which was the goal.

Last edited:
Got small group tours set up for the Vatican (early morning on day three) and the Colosseum et al including the lower levels (early afternoon on day two).

Borghese harder cause I can't figure out which website to use ...any tips?

Anyone done a Tiber dinner cruise?

esplanade, thanks!

Thanks for the link!

Was looking for something to do the day we arrived - found a 3 pm guided tour of Borghese so took it instead of doing our own thing ... figured we needed something to keep us moving!

Back
Top Bottom