driving from Boston to Naples

msully76

Dryer sheet wannabe
Just received my first retirement check, what a great feeling. We are ready to spend our first retirement winter in Naples Florida and will be driving down for the first time. I have the AAA "trip tix" book but am looking for other travel suggestions on the trip, especially places to stop and visit on the way down. I would like to stop 3 or 4 times so any feedback would be appreciated. Charleston and Savanna have been suggested to us as possible visits.

Just received my first retirement check, what a great feeling. We are ready to spend our first retirement winter in Naples Florida and will be driving down for the first time. I have the AAA "trip tix" book but am looking for other travel suggestions on the trip, especially places to stop and visit on the way down. I would like to stop 3 or 4 times so any feedback would be appreciated. Charleston and Savanna have been suggested to us as possible visits.

Congratulations on getting that first check! Hope you enjoy your first retirement winter in sunny Naples. What a great place to celebrate. I know you're coming down I-95 and am interested in how AAA routes you over to I-75 in Florida. If it's I-4 from the east coast area toward Tampa you could plan to spend a day or so at Universal Studios and Epcot in Orlando. You have to go once in your life.

Sounds like fun! Lots of cool places on the way. Should be some nice fall color in part of your trip.

How about Washington,DC ? It is a great place to spend a few days . Also St. Augustine ,Florida .

How about Washington,DC ? It is a great place to spend a few days . Also St. Augustine ,Florida .

Those are my suggestions also. (My usual advice on taking the city bus tour first in each city applies.)

Philadelphia is worth a visit. Also Williamsburg and Wilmington, NC. Those are each five hour drives (then it's five more hours to Savannah and eight more hours to Naples). Hey, you're retired, take all the time you want :)

Kennedy Space Center in Cape Canaveral, FL if you are interested in space/flight. Heck, Smithsonian Air and Space Museum in DC (there are 2 now in DC) would be neat too if space/flight interests you.

I'm driving from the Carolinas to south Florida this Saturday/Sunday. I-95 will be my friend. We are stopping in Melbourne, FL on the way down, but mostly because we found a good, cheap hotel near I-95. If we had more time, we would stop off at Disney for a bit.

First time driving down huh? Watch out for "Pedro", er, actually never mind, you can't miss him!

Kennedy Space Center in Cape Canaveral, FL if you are interested in space/flight.

That simulated Space Shuttle flight is one of the most fantastic experiences ever. And the IMax show is unforgettable -- a Space Walk as if you were there..

Boston to Naples

Thanks to all that have responded with advice on stops along the way. I just returned from 4 days in Philly and I agree that it is a great place. AAA is sending us over the Tappinzi and on down 95. Once in Florida they keep us on 95.
I have been on this board for more than 2 years, mostly just reading getting ready for this retirement so now that it is here I now know what you were all talking about.

Back
Top Bottom