Driving from Toronto Canada to Orlando

also note you have a second route in Canada- which is take the 402 to Port Huron/Sarnia. I assume the weather pattern off Lake erie (Windsor) will be different than the pattern of lake Huron (Sarnia). Adds a little to commute, but moving at 55 mph for 100 miles trumps 20 mph for 60 miles.

Hi jIMOh,

It seems to me the section from Buffalo to Erie (I90) along lake Erie is the worst ?

I was thinking, the shortest route from Toronto:
Buffalo: I90 to Erie <------ Any thought about this section along lake Erie Dec 18 ?
Erie: I79 to Pittsburgh PA then Charleston WV
Charleston: I77 to Columbia SC
Columbia: I26/I95 to Florida

Thanks for sharing the experience but I would like to know how "bad (driving condition, snow ...)" is the section along lake Erie (I90) on Dec 18 (I know you don't have a crystal ball) ?

The reason I chose the Windsor Ontario I75 last year was because people "advised" me it is the easiest route (I75) to Florida, but it takes longer. However, on the way back, the section of 401 from Windsor to London Ontario was the worst (blowing snow, hazardous driving condition, 1 minivan went into the ditch up side down).

Thanks

If you are alert and drive in snow enough, the I90 trip from Lackawanna (Buffalo Suburb) to PA (state line) then thru Erie to I-79 is tough. A little closer to Cleveland my wife put us in ditch late on xmas eve many years ago- she is NOT a good winter driver.

I have seen I90 on NYS thruway close, only way to know that is to check weather- it can come fast and furious off the lake.

90% of my winter drives thru that area are uneventful, you are hearing of my 10% "other".

What I would do is map 3 routes thru NY:
One route is 90 EAST to Syracuse and take 81 south. This would be weather patterns off Lake Ontario and 81 has its own challenges. Slight alternate is 390 South to US-15 South and thru Washington DC. 15 has lights, but it does not get snowed on like I81. This route is worst case, but avoids ALL lake Erie Weather once you cross border.

Second route would be 90 WEST to 86 EAST to "anything" south". If Lake Erie was wreaking havoc on whole trip in PA/OH, this takes you EAST fast, however you go thru small towns and I86 presents challenges of its own.

Once you clear I-86 you are within 40 miles of I-79. 79 South takes you away from Lake, so the challenge is getting thru Buffalo/ NY area and into PA. The roads in PA will be the worst of the entire trip- PA does not plow when it snows, so know that ahead of time, and the fastest way thru PA is to stay on I90 and get into Ohio (90 is only in PA for about 40 miles, 79 south will keep you in PA for 150-300 miles I think).

90 in PA is BAD because PA does not plow
90 in Ohio will clear up once you hit the state line, and I-77 is about 100 miles ahead when you take 90 into Ohio (90 to 271 to 77)

Thanks !

I believe it doesn't hurt to ask !

I can't believe PA does not plow I90 ... Hmmm the govnmt must be short in their budget :)

I am a good winter driver but will check the weather before deciding on which route to take ...

However, on the way back, the section of 401 from Windsor to London Ontario was the worst (blowing snow, hazardous driving condition, 1 minivan went into the ditch up side down).
I worked in Sarnia and in London. The 401 is always blowing snow around Woodstock. It gets lake effect snow from Huron, Erie and Ontario. The only direction of winds without snow is NE and that almost never happens! I have driven that stretch many times in all conditions.

I would take I-75 because the highway conditions are better during the winter. You can maintain a higher average speed on I-75 in the winter.

I worked in Sarnia and in London. The 401 is always blowing snow around Woodstock. It gets lake effect snow from Huron, Erie and Ontario. The only direction of winds without snow is NE and that almost never happens! I have driven that stretch many times in all conditions.

I would take I-75 because the highway conditions are better during the winter. You can maintain a higher average speed on I-75 in the winter.
Thanks !

In regard to the blowing snow between Windsor and London/Woodstock Ontario Jan 4/2010, obviously those whose minivan in the ditch flipped upside down did not know, did not care, did not exercise winter driving skill, did not care about my hazardous lights, did not slow down (my speed was 40 km/hour) ... So they ended up in the ditch upside down. I hope they were fine as I didn't follow up on that !

If I take the I75 again, then I won't be able to make it to Orlando in 2 days / 1 night. Moreover, I may experience the same white out condition on 401 (Windsor to London/Woodstock) again on the way back to Canada.

I will check the weather forecast before making a decision.

It was a relatively short distance from Buffalo to Erie OH. I will try to familiarize myself with the Ohio TV stations which I have to see what the road condition is like in mid Dec.

Thanks !

In regard to the blowing snow between Windsor and London/Woodstock Ontario Jan 4/2010, obviously those whose minivan in the ditch flipped upside down did not know, did not care, did not exercise winter driving skill, did not care about my hazardous lights, did not slow down (my speed was 40 km/hour) ... So they ended up in the ditch upside down. I hope they were fine as I didn't follow up on that !

If I take the I75 again, then I won't be able to make it to Orlando in 2 days / 1 night. Moreover, I may experience the same white out condition on 401 (Windsor to London/Woodstock) again on the way back to Canada.

I will check the weather forecast before making a decision.

It was a relatively short distance from Buffalo to Erie OH. I will try to familiarize myself with the Ohio TV stations which I have to see what the road condition is like in mid Dec.

two notes

erie is in Pennsylvania
and Ohio weather patterns will vary. Focus on the EASTERN suburbs of Cleveland- western suburbs and southern suburbs have much different weather patterns depending on which direction wind is blowing off Lake Erie. Like I said, I have seen whiteout just west of lake erie, then once I get south, it is 10 degrees warmer and completely clear.

75 is more predictable- you get further away from great lakes faster (once you clear detroit, you are "free" of lake effect snow). With I90 you are literally driving about 250 miles next to the lake from Buffalo to Cleveland.

Then with Pennsylvanie not plowing (that is true), even I-79 will be touch and go if weather hits.

There is a reason PA has lower taxes than NY and Ohio which border it- they have ways of cutting costs, and the one which applies here is PA is notorious for calling snow emegencies (means stay off the road) then once it stops snowing, plowing once and being done with it.

Thanks !

I just found out Erie is in PA before I revisit this thread.

It's 92 miles or 149 km between Erie & Buffalo, about 1.5 hours drive (good condition) or more if there's blowing snow prior to my trip.

An alternate route from Buffalo to Erie (away from lake Erie): Buffalo, 219 South to Great Valley, then 17/I86 West to I90 near Erie), this L shape route is away from lake Erie, but takes 50 minutes more.

Do you have experience or know about this alternate route (Buffalo, 219 S, 17/I86 W, I90) ?

I will probably take this alternate route if it forecasts blowing snow along I90.

According to the US highway forecast:
USA Highway Forecast: I-90 - The Weather Network

The section between Erie and Buffalo near Dunkirk NY is pretty bad: Blizzard, close to 5cm of snow.

Erie: Flurries
Buffalo: Flurries

Hmmm ... I must check this website before heading to I90 !

No wonder a lot of snowbirds left Ontario on Oct 30, especially if they drive ...

Thanks !

I just found out Erie is in PA before I revisit this thread.

It's 92 miles or 149 km between Erie & Buffalo, about 1.5 hours drive (good condition) or more if there's blowing snow prior to my trip.

An alternate route from Buffalo to Erie (away from lake Erie): Buffalo, 219 South to Great Valley, then 17/I86 West to I90 near Erie), this L shape route is away from lake Erie, but takes 50 minutes more.

Do you have experience or know about this alternate route (Buffalo, 219 S, 17/I86 W, I90) ?

I will probably take this alternate route if it forecasts blowing snow along I90.

I am real familiar with that portion of 219/86. Take I90. If its bad, you want to be on the interstate, not in the mountains (hills). There is a reason ski resorts are off 219 and not off I90. That part of 219 and 86 is a snow belt. DO NOT consider that route in bad weather. 86 in and of itself in bad weather has some challenges (like a .5 mile bridge over chatauqua lake).

If you need an alternate route, I have taken route 5 from Dunkirk exit to Buffalo when the thru way closed. I am an experienced snow driver, and I know the area, so even though I was closer to lake in a pure whiteout I knew it moved, and a few of us took that route when thru way closed that night.

So taking route 5 from Buffalo into Erie, then to I-79 south is an option. If you hit bad weather, avoid Pennsylvania (re-read my posts above). You may not understand how "bad" that is until you do it once. I would much rather deal with the 401 and head to windsor than to risk a snow storm in PA. The extra day on the commute is worth the safety.

Most of my winter traveling is based on visiting family in Buffalo at xmas time. PA is the worst part of the trip... even though (for me) it is 40 miles of a 400 mile trip, that 40 mile stretch is really bad (it is up on a bluff, so it gets dumped on if any front comes off the lake), plus PA does not plow it much. You will know when you cross the state line just based on quality of the roads.

I am real familiar with that portion of 219/86. Take I90. If its bad, you want to be on the interstate, not in the mountains (hills). There is a reason ski resorts are off 219 and not off I90. That part of 219 and 86 is a snow belt. DO NOT consider that route in bad weather. 86 in and of itself in bad weather has some challenges (like a .5 mile bridge over chatauqua lake).

If you need an alternate route, I have taken route 5 from Dunkirk exit to Buffalo when the thru way closed. I am an experienced snow driver, and I know the area, so even though I was closer to lake in a pure whiteout I knew it moved, and a few of us took that route when thru way closed that night.

So taking route 5 from Buffalo into Erie, then to I-79 south is an option. If you hit bad weather, avoid Pennsylvania (re-read my posts above). You may not understand how "bad" that is until you do it once. I would much rather deal with the 401 and head to windsor than to risk a snow storm in PA. The extra day on the commute is worth the safety.

Most of my winter traveling is based on visiting family in Buffalo at xmas time. PA is the worst part of the trip... even though (for me) it is 40 miles of a 400 mile trip, that 40 mile stretch is really bad (it is up on a bluff, so it gets dumped on if any front comes off the lake), plus PA does not plow it much. You will know when you cross the state line just based on quality of the roads.

Hi jIMOh,

Thanks for sharing your experience, and I am sure it will benefit readers who are interested in the Buffalo route to Florida.

I will keep that route 5 in mind as my alternate route to Erie PA, and of course I79 S to get away from the snow.

LS

try Autotrain next time

I know you're leaving today so it's too late, but next time, or on the return trip, you may want to consider Amtrak Autotrain. I've live in Buffalo & I've taken it quite a few times to get to/from Tampa.

It would be cheaper than staying in hotels, paying for gas.
You would drive from Toronto to Lorton, Virginia. The Autotrain departs at 4pm. They put your car on it, and the trip includes dinner, snacks and breakfast and movies. If you get a sleeper car it jacks the price up quite a bit, so just sleep in the seat, which is pretty comfortable. You will then arrive in Sanford, FL (an hour east of Orlando) at about 9am the next day. The price is reasonable, and seems to fluctuate depending on how far in advance you purchase. There is also a 10 percent discount with AAA/CAA card. You pass some pretty/interesting scenery, FBI training grounds, etc.

Thanks Karen64 ! We arrived safely in Orlando.
Will keep your suggestion in mind as option in the future.

Maybe we can start a new post on how to get around Orlando!

Does anybody know the closest Starbucks with a left hand drive-thru?

Back
Top Bottom