Dublin/Columbus OH to Chicago IL

OAG

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Anyone see anything wrong with this route to the North Side of Chicago on a Friday: Dublin OH to Fort Wayne IN via I33 then I30 to I94 and I94 through Chicago to the North Side? Will attempt to time the trip to avoid the HEAVY rush hours in Chicago (I know there is no way to avoid the 24 hour rush in Chicago).

I used to live in Columbus and Dayton and we usually took I-70 through Indy up to the Hammond/Merryville, IL area through I-65...Mapquest, indicates the same route....

I used to live in Columbus and Dayton and we usually took I-70 through Indy up to the Hammond/Merryville, IL area through I-65...Mapquest, indicates the same route....

I-70 to I-74
I-70 to I-65

I live in cincy. Haven't done the drive from dublin to chi-town, but I think both 65 and 74 go into chi-town.

where 94 merges into 90 is a construction area - it sucks big time.

90/94 On the Move to Improve

If you can swing over to 294 w/o it throwing you way off track, you'd be better off....

- John

Last edited:

Yes, that is the route I have taken in the past. I was looking for an alternate route to stay off of the interstates I could avoid (at least I70 and I65). In no real hurry.

Ok, just back from the Columbus to Chicago and return trip. The I33 to Fort Wayne IN link and then I30 out of Fort Wayne to I94 to the North Side of Chicago was just fine. To be truthful the trip though Chicago up I94 was kind of a mess but as long as you stay in your lane (Center one is the best) and "go with the flow" you are fine. Gosh, I was born and raised in Chicago, for the most part, but really do not like it. DW family is there so I do not have a real choice of not going there. Coming back out of Chicago on Sunday morning was not bad at all. I would recommend early Sunday mornings to anyone going or coming through that city. Anyway it was about a 320 mile trip from our place in Dublin to the North side of Chicago. Much shorter and much more scenic, than the Mapquest route (I70 to I65 to I94 or I90).

Just wanted to update anyone that was interested.

Ok, just back from the Columbus to Chicago and return trip. The I33 to Fort Wayne IN link and then I30 out of Fort Wayne to I94 to the North Side of Chicago was just fine. To be truthful the trip though Chicago up I94 was kind of a mess but as long as you stay in your lane (Center one is the best) and "go with the flow" you are fine. Gosh, I was born and raised in Chicago, for the most part, but really do not like it. DW family is there so I do not have a real choice of not going there. Coming back out of Chicago on Sunday morning was not bad at all. I would recommend early Sunday mornings to anyone going or coming through that city. Anyway it was about a 320 mile trip from our place in Dublin to the North side of Chicago. Much shorter and much more scenic, than the Mapquest route (I70 to I65 to I94 or I90).

Just wanted to update anyone that was interested.

Glad you had a nice trip...yeah, going through Chicago on an early weekend morning works out the best....or do what I do to get up to Wisconsin....go through Danville, IL area up through central IL...;) Bloody Chicago...:p

glad it worked out. I'm a chicago suburbanite, I could never tolerate that traffic or that many people. Rather be a hermit out in the (relative) boonies.

- John

I use to drive right through the Chicago area and on my way to Ohio and it was brutal during rush hour.

Back
Top Bottom