East coast in January

jambo101

Full time employment: Posting here.
My wifes NYC trip now has an extra 10-12 days and she wants to travel further south than just NYC,a few days at the Smithsonian then on to Williamsburg and Virgina beach followed by a few days on the outer banks then Assetegue and Chincotegue,Myrtle beach and depending on time as far south as Savannah.The weather from Myrtle Beach to Savannah will probably be ok but i'm wondering how winterlike the weather will be in the Virginia Beach and outer banks part of the trip,Will anything be open?
Any dont miss places on the outer banks region assuming there open?

Outer banks can be really cold that time of year, and windy. Still beautiful, though. I would recommend Manteo--we've stayed there at the Tranquil House Inn before.

It will be nicer the further south you come, but it can still be amazingly cold here in Charleston and in Savannah when a wet wind comes blowing onshore. At least it feels that way to us locals! Let me know when you are coming to Charleston and if the weather is passable we'd be happy to take you for a boat ride around the harbor.

Expect the outer banks to be dead in general. Some stuff catering to locals will be open. Many touristy type things won't - some/many restaurants included. You'll be in luck with lodging - cheap ocean front hotels will abound. Expect very cold temps - probably with highs in the 40's (that's Farenheit, not C) and rather windy. Beach walking might be a "go", but expect cold temps. If calm and tranquility is what you seek, ye shall find it in OBX in January. Va Beach will probably be more lively, same with Myrtle, but nothing like the summertime.

In the Washington, DC area, this time of year the weather can do anything, from sunny 75 degrees to light snow. I've seen it do both in the same day but usually you get a few days warning.

Normally daytime temps will be in the 50-70 range, nights to the 30-50 range but can vary wildly.

Any one been to a restaurant in Nags Head called Tail of the Whale?
What did you think?

Forget that trip,when we were planning it our Canadian dollar was at par with the American dollar now with all this financial turmoil our buck has tanked and is now below 80 cents on the American dollar and falling further behind every day.Wife now wants to go to Toronto instead of the beach:rolleyes:

Back
Top Bottom