Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Eating and drinking to and from the Grand Canyon
Old 02-02-2009, 06:39 PM   #1
Full time employment: Posting here.

Eating and drinking to and from the Grand Canyon

DH and I are taking a train trip in May starting in Philly and ending up in the Grand Canyon and then back with several over nights on the train. We will have stops in Wash DC, Chicago, Kansas City Mo., Santa Fe, Albuquerque, Williams, Flagstaff, Sedona.

I have to say we were inspired by some of you folks who were kind enough to post your experiences riding the rails.
Any must see and/or must eat at places we should try in any of the cities listed that you care to share? KC was put on our list of stops only because we are going to eat at a rib joint there. We luv us some Barbecue. I guess we should call this the chow hound express since tasting the local fare is one of the points of this trip.

Oh, how could I forget, any information about what is good beer wise would be a plus.

La tavola e il letto non hanno restrizioni.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-02-2009, 07:07 PM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

We took one rail trip, it was 35 years ago. From Ft Worth Tx, to Houston Tx. It was the worst trip we ever took! A trip that would have been a 4 hr bus trip, turned into a 9 hr train trip. The train was pulled to sidings for all freight! We vowed never to travel the U.S. by train again. Good Luck!
Rustic23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 07:38 PM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Just checked: Amtrak - Station Search Results

I didn't remember a train in Santa Fe, though i see there is now a tourist ride spur line that will get you there - Amtrak will get you to Lamy, which is a dirt crossroad in the middle of nowhere - never understood why you could take the train to somewhere no-one wanted to go - Lamy - rather than Santa Fe. Darn nice high desert area though - i miss NM. The Grand Canyon section sounds great as well - should be a killer trip!

The Santa Fe spur - looks fun too!
http://www.sfsr.com/
calmloki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 04:25 AM   #4

If these overnight stops are 8 hours or more you should send an email to the local tourist bureau and get them to send you some info. Walking around an unfamiliar big city at night doesnt sound like fun to me, does the train have any evening event organizers?
Old 02-03-2009, 04:33 AM   #5

The foregoing responses is why I refuse to Fly, Bus, or Train, around the USA. If I can't drive there, forget it (exception is Hawaii). Driving you can decide when and where to stop, eat cheap, and come and go when you want to. Can't do that with the other modes of transportation.
Old 02-03-2009, 06:22 AM   #6

The both of us are very much aware of the upsides and downsides of train travel. But heck we are FIRED so we are not punching a clock and can keep it loose. We are really not worried about delays.

My husband used to live in NM so we were also aware of the stop in Lamy. No biggie, just part of the adventure.

No, the train part we've got. What I am interested in is anyone who has visited or lives in any of the cities listed above. What is good, what to avoid. The the Chambers of Commerce and travel bureau always paint a rosy picture. We're looking for the straight dope.

La tavola e il letto non hanno restrizioni.
Old 02-03-2009, 12:59 PM   #7

as a tivia note..
here'a song the california guitar trio wrote about lamy station..

Quote:
Originally Posted by calmloki View Post
Just checked: Amtrak - Station Search Results

I didn't remember a train in Santa Fe, though i see there is now a tourist ride spur line that will get you there - Amtrak will get you to Lamy, which is a dirt crossroad in the middle of nowhere - never understood why you could take the train to somewhere no-one wanted to go - Lamy - rather than Santa Fe. Darn nice high desert area though - i miss NM. The Grand Canyon section sounds great as well - should be a killer trip!

The Santa Fe spur - looks fun too!
Santa Fe Southern Railway
mh is offline   Reply With Quote