Join Early Retirement Today

England Recommendations
Old 02-18-2008, 06:42 AM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

England Recommendations

If you have been there what would you make sure to visit and what would you skip? Considering Scotland, London, Wales, etc.

How many days should one consider spending in London to see the sites?
chinaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-18-2008, 06:26 PM   #2
Full time employment: Posting here.

I've been a couple of times, last time was about 10 years ago.

London is fun, I especially liked the gardens at Kew.

I really enjoyed the area around York, and also liked visiting Warwick. There's a lovely public garden below the castle, on the river, that's a nice place for a picnic lunch.

Stratford-upon-Avon was great, we enjoyed some Shakespeare there.

If I was going again, we'd visit Cornwall, Wales and the Lake District for some walking trails.
Old 02-18-2008, 06:30 PM   #3
Gone but not forgotten

In my opinion you need four of five days in London . My don't miss is Bath . It's truly gorgeous . Also ,not sure if they still have it but last time I went I got a discount card for London .It was really worth the money . We were in London for five days and then went on a tour to Wales and Ireland . I would think that tour groups might be a better deal than trying it on your own with the exchange rate . We stayed in Kensington and it was a great location especially since we arrived the day of Princess Diana's funeral . We had a first row seat to history .
Moemg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2008, 07:24 PM   #4
Recycles dryer sheets

We were in the UK 3 years ago. We spent 4 days in London which we found adequate but of course you could fill up more days there. We then rented a car and spent the next 2 1/2 weeks touring England, Wales and Scotland. The Lake District, Wales, the Isle of Skye and Glascow were wonderful. Driving through the countryside was a wonderful adventure, (tho driving at times could be more than exciting). I am sure there were other places and sites that were great. Stonehenge was a disappointment.
Have a great trip.
Larry
Old 02-19-2008, 12:48 AM   #5
Recycles dryer sheets

Have been several times. DW is a Londoner. Great trip is train to Scotlands West Highlands. Oban and Isle of Mull are favorites. Get a BritRail pass if your going this route and stay at local B&B's. Can see London in 2-3 days. War museum in London is interesting. Don't rent a car unless you are touring Ireland.
hogtied is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2008, 06:29 AM   #6
Recycles dryer sheets

Been to the UK many times. I love London its my favorite city in the world. You could spend months there alone. I really love the Scottish Highlands also. Beautiful country and really nice people.

My next trip is going to be spent in the Devon and Cornwall area. I have never been to that part. Can't wait.
StJohnsWood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2008, 06:35 AM   #7
Give me a forum ...

Southwest England is beautiful - don't forget the Coxwolls
Old 02-19-2008, 08:14 AM   #8
Give me a forum ...

I spent 3 weeks in the UK in 1986 - just traveling from one B&B to the next. London is, of course, wonderful, but as a Yank, I quickly got claustrophobic in England and Scotland was like a breath of fresh air. Stonehenge was a disappointment, Bath was memorable, as were the Cotswolds where I really enjoyed the hiking. It is easy to get tired of seeing castles, especially castle ruins, so pick judiciously.
travelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Don't Miss Scotland
Old 02-19-2008, 03:46 PM   #9
Recycles dryer sheets

Don't Miss Scotland

Take the train from London to Edinburgh (or farther north on the east coast) and spend some time in the Grampians. But do it in the summertime when the temps get up into the 70s and the sun is up until 1am. And pack your sweater and rain gear; the wx can change in 5 minutes. Edinburgh during the Tatoo or the festival early in the Fall are lso great times to be there. St Andrews, Aberdeen, Balmoral. Good whisky, great golf, and wonderful people.
Old 02-19-2008, 08:27 PM   #10
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Stonehenge is amazing as is the little town of Avebury and the circle of stones. Both are part of the UNESCO World Heritage sites.
From Wikipedia:
Avebury ". . . is one of the finest and largest Neolithic monuments in Europe dating to around 5000 years ago. It is older than the megalithic stages of Stonehenge . . ."

Avebury - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Zoocat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2008, 04:56 AM   #11
Give me a forum ...

If WWII history interests you, the Cabinet War Rooms in London is very interesting.
RunningBum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2008, 08:42 PM   #12
Dryer sheet aficionado

If you really want to "learn" about London, visit the following web site:

London Walks - "first and best of the walking tour firms" Fodors - Homepage

This is the site for a company call London Walks. We have taken many of their walks and learned tons about London and it's history.

The guides are really good; the cost is reasonable; you don't need reservations, just meet up where they say and pay to join the walk.

If you're in Paris they have a companion company:

Paris Walking Tours Home

They do the same thing and they are done in English. We have done several of these and they are also great.
BanDit1 is offline   Reply With Quote
We took the Jack the Ripper walking tour a few years back.
Old 02-21-2008, 06:18 AM   #13
Recycles dryer sheets

We took the Jack the Ripper walking tour a few years back.

I went in expecting nothing and totally enjoyed it. It was my first walking tour ever and I have taken more since. A great time!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BanDit1 View Post
If you really want to "learn" about London, visit the following web site:

London Walks - "first and best of the walking tour firms" Fodors - Homepage

This is the site for a company call London Walks. We have taken many of their walks and learned tons about London and it's history.

The guides are really good; the cost is reasonable; you don't need reservations, just meet up where they say and pay to join the walk.

If you're in Paris they have a companion company:

Paris Walking Tours Home

They do the same thing and they are done in English. We have done several of these and they are also great.
StJohnsWood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2008, 07:53 AM   #14
Confused about dryer sheets

Hi, Chinaco. Check the London Guide. I saw plenty of useful info there. I'm actually helping my dad plan his retirement trip to Europe, particularly London.
Bernard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2008, 10:00 AM   #15
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by StJohnsWood View Post
I love London its my favorite city in the world.
Cheers StJohnsWood,
curious why did you choose this tube station as your username?
As far as the station itself it was still there on Friday - we took a stroll from the Zoo through Regents Park to St. Johns Wood.
sailor is online now   Reply With Quote