ePassport Gates In Heathrow

gayl

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
I'm looking for options on which National Express bus to get a ticket for. I'm getting off a 10 hr flight landing at 12:30. I don't have Global Entry. I read about ePassort at LHR which sounds a lot like mobile passport (speeds up customs at SFO). My options are 2 busses, 1415 and 1530. Just trying to figure out the probability of catching the 1415.

Last edited:
Were it me, I would take the Heathrow Express into London, then Britrail to Southampton if there is no change of station

I'm looking for options on which National Express bus to get a ticket for. I'm getting off a 10 hr flight landing at 12:30. I don't have Global Entry. I read about ePassort at LHR which sounds a lot like mobile passport (speeds up customs at SFO). My options are 2 busses, 1415 and 1530. Just trying to figure out the probability of catching the 1415.

If I understand you correctly, you're landing in LHR at 1230 and want to catch the 1415 National Express bus.

American citizens landing at LHR can go through eGate, which involves scanning your passport and then taking a photo, all done by a kisok.

When the family and I landed in LHR in early June on a Monday morning at 10:30 am, it took us literally 5 minutes to go through eGate, which has many lines to choose from. In fact, it took longer to walk from arrival gate than it did to go through eGate.

After going through eGate, if you have nothing to declare, you simply walk out. That took us another 5 minutes.

The only delay may be getting off the plane. When our LAX - LHR flight arrived, there were no gates available, and so passengers had to deplane and get on a bus to be shuttled to an arrival gate, so those at the back of the plane faced quite a delay in actually getting off the plane.

Other than that, you should have plenty of time to catch the 1415 National Express bus.

Last edited:
We flew thru Heathrow 3 weeks ago--coming and going. I wouldn't push it timewise getting through the airport as the airplanes are now traveling virtually 100% capacity.

The easiest way to get to Southampton is to catch the bus at the airport--National Express 204--for the 2 hr. 21 minute ride.

You could take the 15 minute Heathrow Express into Paddington Station and then take the South Western Railway 1 hr. 15 minute ride. But it'll end up costing much more and take longer since you'll have to wait around Paddington for the next train to leave.

Perhaps it depends on the destination. Our experiences with a National Express shuttle from LHR to Gatwick has been very good.

We bought our tickets on line. Cannot remember if we were able to catch an earlier shuttle or a later shuttle. We had the same issue....what time to book after a long flight from NA that could well arrive late.

Last time we got to the bus boarding point the National agent did not even care about the time on our ticket. He only checked that we had a ticket, told us where to put our bags and to get on the bus because it was going to leave any time. I seemed my original concern was unwarranted.

This may not hold true for a different bus destination.

Back
Top Bottom