European on a US roadtrip - fill in my itinerary

In an RV trip, we happened to drive by Santa Rosa, NM, so stopped by and spent the afternoon there to see the "Blue Hole", which is a geological oddity.

Saw a couple of Dutchmen there. They said they drove from Atlanta. I did not ask further to see where they were going next, but didn't think the Blue Hole was the reason they drove all the way across the US to see. But how did they know about the Blue Hole anyway? I did not know about it until I stumbled across some info.

In an RV trip, we happened to drive by Santa Rosa, NM, so stopped by and spent the afternoon there to see the "Blue Hole", which is a geological oddity.

Saw a couple of Dutchmen there. They said they drove from Atlanta. I did not ask further to see where they were going next, but didn't think the Blue Hole was the reason they drove all the way across the US to see. But how did they know about the Blue Hole anyway? I did not know about it until I stumbled across some info.

Perhaps they were scuba divers, the Blue Hole is well known in that community.

Do not skip Bryce. It is like no place else on earth. (IMO).

The most unique feature of Bryce, the hoodoos, are common in many places around the world, not all of them have a National Park wrapped around them to promote them though. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hoodoo_(geology)

One of the more unique examples of them is about 90 minutes southeast of Denver in of all places, a county park called The Paint Mines. There is talk of making it a National Monument. The colors are even more vibrant and varied than Bryce and few people, even locals know it exists.

Attachments

• IMG_1515.JPG
    IMG_1515.JPG
    679.2 KB · Views: 13
Here's another for your enjoyment.

Nice. I'll have to think about this on my next trip to CO.

Still, to OP and others, don't miss Bryce. Although the geography may not be unique, the scale of Bryce is breathtaking. The views from the rim at and beyond the hoodoos is, well, awe inspiring.

Cheesehead, don't worry, CO still has plenty going for it. :)

I forgot to mention something more practical and that is the Golden Gate Bridge has no toll booths and if you drive through (southbound) in a rental car without a transponder you're likely to get stiffed by the rental car company for a substantial service charge. I've heard that you can prepay online so you might want to do some research on that. I believe all the other bridges in the Bay Area has toll booths, just don't drive thru a lane labeled Fastrak only without a transponder.

Discounts in Las Vegas - sign up for a free gambling card like Totalrewards ( maybe able to signup online). You can get 10 percent off at participating restaurants and significant discounts at hotels during low season. A couple of years ago I got a room at the Rio for $29/night. To see the prices you need to log into the totalrewards.com site. (This is not an endorsement for totalrewards or any other gambling card).

San Francisco - parking & driving in the city itself is really bad. Recommend public transit if at all possible.

If you're planning to visit Grand Canyon, Bryce, Zion & Yosemite it's probably cheaper to get annual National Parks Pass than pay the individual entry fees.

Safe travels.

Last edited:
Nice. I'll have to think about this on my next trip to CO.

Still, to OP and others, don't miss Bryce. Although the geography may not be unique, the scale of Bryce is breathtaking. The views from the rim at and beyond the hoodoos is, well, awe inspiring.

Cheesehead, don't worry, CO still has plenty going for it. :)

I feel like I just got patted on the head. :LOL:

Another thing: Since you're going to GC-south from Vegas, I'd stop & do a tour of Hoover Dam. Couple hours. Great new arch bride over canyon also.
The direct route us 93 goes over the new bridge at hoover dam, so your going to go right by it.

You have a great itinerary and have gotten really good advice. Just a couple of additions:

1) My favorite hike EVER is the Narrows at Zion. It's very different from a mountain hike. Rent the gear in Springdale (dry pants, sticky water shoes, a stick to help you balance) take the Zion shuttle to the last stop, and walk up the Virgin River as far as you can. The hike is in the river, with the near vertical canyon walls on either side of you. Just stunning.

2) One of the best views of the Golden Gate Bridge is from underneath it. Start at Crissy Field and walk toward the bridge. If it's cold get a warm drink at The Warming Hut. Then hike up the hill to the deck of the bridge.

3) Drive down Highway 1 from SF to the Monterey Bay area. You will pass Ano Nuevo with the elephant seals along the way. There is an abalone farm in Davenport, and tidepools at Natural Bridges State Beach in Santa Cruz. Finally in Moss Landing is Elkhorn Slough, a great place for viewing sea otters in the wild. Boat and kayak tours available, most require advance reservations.

4) Don't miss Point Lobos State Preserve just south of Carmel and the Monterey Bay Aquarium.

5) If you want to visit wineries, you might also try ones in Carmel Valley. It's a beautiful drive and not at all far from the Monterey and Carmel area.

6) In LA, I would add a trip to the Getty Museum and definitely make the drive to Laguna Beach. Having cocktails and appetizers on the patio at Las Brisas was magical back in the 80's, and it is still there and still popular. Probably skip the restaurant, though.

Do the boat trip from pier 39 is best, you get to see Alcatraz island.

Just a quick thank you to all who contributed to building our perfect trip. We're heading off in two weeks and I will come back and let everyone know how it went!

I was at Yosemite since the earlier posts. In addition to exploring the valley thoroughly, take the modest hike to Sentinel Dome. I have other photos posted online. Send me a private message if you want more info.

Attachments

• IMG_8513.jpg
    IMG_8513.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 16
San Francisco - parking & driving in the city itself is really bad. Recommend public transit if at all possible.

FWIW, as a visitor I actually really enjoyed driving around San Francisco. Up and down the hills and around some of the funky neighborhoods. Out past the Presidio and down the road along the west side of the city. The only really slow traffic was around Fishermans Wharf/Ghirardelli and the Embarcadero.

But you're right, the parking sucked.

Back
Top Bottom