Join Early Retirement Today

Old 08-16-2019, 10:14 PM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

We have been in Alaska since June 11th in our motorhome and plan to start for home sometime next week.
Don't let the price of gas or diesel in Canada scare you off. We paid about $3.50-3.70 per gallon with the exchange rate. More expensive but just part of the cost of the trip. Gas in Alaska is about $3/gallon, diesel is a few cents cheaper. Food in Alaska is more expensive, seafood is very expensive at least by Louisiana prices.
We've had no problem finding a campsite anywhere for our 36' motorhome, not always at our first choice but in the same town.
We've stayed in a few roadside rest areas or pull-outs for free. State campgrounds are ~$15/night with no hookups. Provincial campgrounds are $12/night with no hookups. Tesoro gas stations in Alaska have free dumps and potable water, as does Fred Meyer stores in some towns.
Any other questions, just ask.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-16-2019, 10:36 PM   #22
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I knew about the Sign Post Forest on the Alcan before the trip, but then forgot to bring my own sign. We sacrificed an aluminum baking tray for a makeshift sign. Using a nail I hammered in our names and the date of the visit on to the tray, but now how to mount it?

It is not easy to find an free spot on a post to mount your sign. I spotted an empty spot, but it was almost 10 ft up. We had to look around to borrow a ladder. I mounted it with a long screw.

Hopefully it will still be there, if and when we ever come back that way.

About boondocking, that's the best part of RV'ing in Alaska. So many times, we parked for the night by the water, either a lake, a stream, and even the ocean. All free, and nobody around.
Old 08-16-2019, 11:36 PM   #23
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

For us, the trip was more than just Alaska. The Yukon is a huge Canada province. Same with BC and Alberta. We had been to Banff on an earlier RV trip, but this time went up to Edmonton and had to spend a couple of days there to wait out a storm. We took the opportunity to visit the city.

On the way back we took another road to go through BC Mt Robson Park, and went down the Okanagan Valley. There was so much to see, and we enjoyed visiting different towns too.

And on the way down to Spokane, we happened to drive by Coulee Dam without planning for it, and of course had to spend an afternoon there at the visitor center that is much less visited than Hoover Dam because of its remote location.

RV'ing allows you to take country roads and go to places that are not convenient to visit otherwise. We like to see how people live in remote corners and small rural towns.
Old 08-17-2019, 10:59 AM   #24
Recycles dryer sheets

We went on a similar trip in 2012 (5-month round trip from AZ to AK). When we finally left Valdez, Alaska it was August 11. The "top of the world highway" from Tok to Dawson City was extremely slow going (7 hours to drive 185 miles on mostly dirt). We went down through Dawson City, Skagway, down through sparsely populated parts of BC (we had done Jasper and the Alberta parks on the way up), and then meandered and really took our time around Washington state before finally arriving in Portland on September 10th. So someone who only has 15 days and also wants to do some sightseeing might be hard-pressed, especially if there is an arrival deadline. I agree with others that an alternative (but more expensive) route might be to enjoy scenery in Alaska in the RV, then take the RV on the Alaska Marine Highway to Bellingham WA (definitely splurge on a cabin, you aren't allowed to sleep in the RV) and then take your time enjoying Washington state before arriving in Portland. You will have quite a bit more time to do some sightseeing, although you would have to save Jasper for a separate trip. (Edit: I forgot that the ferry stops at Prince Rupert BC. So you could get off the Marine Highway at Prince Rupert and drive over to Jasper from there).

I also second Bamaman and others' suggestion to pick up a copy of the Milepost -- it is a great guide to all the roadways and services up there. We kept a blog of our trip with posts from each stop -- I'll send you a PM with a link to the post with tips about staying in Denali (I also wrote a blog post about the Marine highway -- we took it on the way up). Alaska is so beautiful, have fun planning your trip and feel free to PM me if you have any questions!
Zona is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
alaska trip, denali, jasper, motor home, rving