Exploring NW Lake Superior shoreline

ElizabethT

Full time employment: Posting here.
DH and I are going to be backpacking Isle Royale NP, which is on Lake Superior, close to Canadian border, in early-September. We exit on the Minnesota side at Grand Portage once our backpack is done, and would like to spend another week or two touring/exploring the area by car. I'm at a bit of a loss as to where to start or go since the entire region is new to us.

Any suggestions on must-do's within 200 miles either way of Grand Portage?

Waterfalls at Grand Portage State Park, Kakabeka Falls outside of Thunder Bay, hang out in Grand Marais, day hikes on Superior Hiking Trail up in the hills above Lutsen (if you hit it right, maples will be redder than you can imagine). The various state parks between Grand Marais and Duluth. Canal Park in Duluth. Harbor boat ride in Duluth. Sleeping Giant NE of Thunder Bay, Terry Fox memorial along the highway near there, lots of good hiking near Ely and along the Gunflint Trail (if you haven't already had enough of that).

Waterfalls at Grand Portage State Park, Kakabeka Falls outside of Thunder Bay, hang out in Grand Marais, day hikes on Superior Hiking Trail up in the hills above Lutsen (if you hit it right, maples will be redder than you can imagine). The various state parks between Grand Marais and Duluth. Canal Park in Duluth. Harbor boat ride in Duluth. Sleeping Giant NE of Thunder Bay, Terry Fox memorial along the highway near there, lots of good hiking near Ely and along the Gunflint Trail (if you haven't already had enough of that).

ditto,ditto, ditto one downside of early Sept is the entire region is very busy. So I recommend not winging it too much. Even if you want to camp, last minute reservations will be hard to come by. As for hotels very busy and pretty pricey. Staying in Canal Park is wonderful, book that early if you can. We did a day cruise (around 2 hours) out of Sliver Bay that I heartily recommend. You will get some amazing photos out of this cruise.

In Duluth the boardwalk along the lake and all of Canal Park are great for nice days. For a rainy day, tour the Congdon Mansion or the Lake Superior Railroad Museum.

Uncle Loui's (that is how they spell it!) near downtown is a local favorite greasy spoon for breakfast or lunch. The Duluth Grill is west of downtown (industrial area) but has great made-from-scratch items and has even been featured on TV.

Avoid Duluth the weekends of 6/11 (MS150 bike ride) and 6/18 (Grandma's Marathon) These events bring thousands into the city and really pack every hotel and restaurant and campground. Leaf turning time in September is fantastic but book ahead - hotels and campgrounds are especially full on weekends.

Not sure if it is within your 200 mile range, but we thoroughly enjoyed visiting the Soudan Underground Mine State Park. Drop half mile below the surface on an 80 yr old mine elevator!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Soudan_Underground_Mine_State_Park

Backpacking Isle Royale was once on my bucket list, may still do it some day. My joy in backpacking has moved to more of just do it, regardless of where but new is always better too. The experience outways the where if it is mostly in the woods and got lots of forest nearby in PA and NY. Now a truly different environ is always more interesting.

Wonderful suggestions, thank you so much. Really like the idea of slowly working our way south back toward Duluth, and didn't realize we might be so fortunate as to experience fall leaf turning season. Would definitely enjoy hiking portions of the Lake Superior Trail, particular without the backpacks!

Looks like there is a lot to do in Duluth as well. I just read that it's sometimes called the San Francisco of the North. Not 100% sure what that means, but I'm thinking it's probably good!

Last edited:

This sounds like something I would like to do as well. Good input.

You brought back memories of a great hike. We saw a moose, right in the middle of the hiking path, within 30 minutes of arriving on the isle. Didn't see another one for the rest of our hike.

If you end up liking this part of the country, another great hike is Pictured Rocks.

Enjoy!!

I am green with envy that you are able to hike in that area this time of year. You will find a plethora of interesting things to do all the way from Grand Marais down to Duluth depending on what your interests are. If you are looking for a place to stay or camp you may want to give Lamb's Resort a look. The service is awesome and it is located right on the shores of Lake Superior.

The hiking in the area around Grand Marais is wonderful. There are many state parks between Grand Portage and Duluth. Some of our favorite areas are Grand Marais, Judge CR Magney State Park, Lutsen area, Tettegouche State Park, Temperance River State Park, Split Rock Lighthouse, and Gooseberry Falls State Park. You can get a Minnesota North Shore map and guide book at the Grand Portage State Park and start off with an easy hike to the falls.

Back
Top Bottom