Join Early Retirement Today

Old 02-03-2019, 06:02 PM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ready View Post
But the thing I noticed most is how horrible the traffic is down there. I’m told the snowbirds descend on the area and stay until around the first week of April. Everything was super crowded and it could take fifteen minutes just to drive a mile down the road. So I’m not sure I would enjoy being a Florida snowbird that much. Especially if I was coming from So Cal, where the weather may be just as nice as Florida.

+1. We are spending the winter about 80 miles north of Tampa, and that is about as far south in Florida as I can handle these days. Sure, the weather further south may be a bit warmer, but the traffic and congestion is getting really, really bad. We were in Tampa the other day to pick up someone at the airport, and even Tampa traffic is pretty crazy. Maybe it is just me, but I don't enjoy fighting traffic even just to go a couple miles down the road to the grocery store. Where we are, it's not bad (yet), but I'm afraid it is going to get bad within a few years or so
RAE is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-03-2019, 06:34 PM   #22
Gone but not forgotten

Scuba...
I think you've got the right idea about doing the coastal circuit, but if you're looking to spend winters in Fl, you might consider keeping your options open. If you're looking for beaches, at least consider using a Central Florida base to allow for day or short term trips to different beaches on either coast
It's what we did for more than 20 years. Our active Lake Griffin Harbor home allowed us the lower cost, less traffic, still on the water and central to everything including the coasts. Absolute center of the state, so an hour and ten minutes to either coast (like to Daytona or Homosassa) 20 minutes to The Villages and about 45 minutes to Orlando.

It's on the Chain of Lakes, in Leesburg Fl. 212 miles of freshwater shoreline, and great boating, all the way up to Jacksonville. A nice low traffic town.

Even if you don't go, take a look at it on the Florida map. I think we averaged two days a week just roaming the beaches, with a great place to come back to.
Old 02-03-2019, 10:28 PM   #23
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Location: Spending the Kids Inheritance and living in Chicago
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry1 View Post
Not sure of your age or driving abilities, but my ex boss, now retired, snowbirds to southern Florida. He says that if you want to beat traffic, go out after dark. Apparently, enough of the older drivers don’t like driving at night or are in bed early.
Plus you won't have to fight for beach chairs.
Old 02-04-2019, 01:14 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ready View Post
I just got back from Fort Myers Beach last night. It’s about an hour drive from Naples. Nice area, but I left 80 degree weather in So Cal and ended up spending most of the week in Florida dealing with rain and weather in the 50’s and 60’s. It did warm up the last day we were there.

But the thing I noticed most is how horrible the traffic is down there. I’m told the snowbirds descend on the area and stay until around the first week of April. Everything was super crowded and it could take fifteen minutes just to drive a mile down the road. So I’m not sure I would enjoy being a Florida snowbird that much. Especially if I was coming from So Cal, where the weather may be just as nice as Florida.

Except for a couple of unseasonably warm days where temps hit the low 70’s at the beach, most of 2019 so far where we live in So CA has been in the 50’s and 60’s with lots of rain. I definitely wouldn’t want to spend a lot of time in bad traffic though. LA is horrible but luckily I don’t have to deal with traffic that often since ER.
Scuba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2019, 01:21 AM   #25

Thanks to those who suggested areas outside of S FL, but for us the entire motivation for winter outside of So CA is going somewhere we can wear swimsuits and shorts every day and get in the water comfortably. Anything in central FL or north of that won’t offer that.
Old 02-04-2019, 06:54 AM   #26
Give me a forum ...

Send a message via Skype™ to kcowan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scuba View Post
Did you prearrange lodging or just move around spontaneously?
We did both. Prearranged in popular places like Key West and South Beach.
Old 02-04-2019, 08:30 AM   #27
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Thanks to those who suggested areas outside of S FL, but for us the entire motivation for winter outside of So CA is going somewhere we can wear swimsuits and shorts every day and get in the water comfortably. Anything in central FL or north of that won’t offer that.
Hi Scuba, don’t worry about the possible cold weather here in Florida. Yes, last week we experienced highs in the 50’s and 60’s, but it was 20 degrees below normal. And that always coincides with a major snow, ice, blizzard up north with life-threatening conditions and days on end of being home bound. And one day it even rained Typically in January and February it is very dry.

That said, water temperatures are still cold. It takes a while for the big bodies of water to warm up. The Atlantic is colder than the Gulf this time of year. Maybe you are planning on a wet suit? You can of course find water temperatures on the internet. Heated pools are possible to find of course.

As far as staying places on the fly in Florida, I would say that is a little bit of a risk this time of year. As the winter drags on, even Red Roof Inn will start increasing their prices as desperate people try to escape the winter up north. But if you are willing to be flexible, you can always find something. You may just have to “commute” to the areas each day for your exploring.

But you are smart to pursue multiple areas, as there are a lot of differences in Florida for culture, price, traffic, and general vibe. Based on what you are looking for, I think Key Largo might be a good place to center your search.

Here’s a thought Let’s set up an ER Home Exchange. Maybe you can find someone here willing to share there place – especially if your wife decides to move out of that Red Roof Inn
48Fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2019, 12:57 PM   #28
gone traveling

Quote:
If you are looking for sure warm weather and water , South Florida is the way to go. Keep in mind some beach bungalows have wall unit AC but NO heat. If the temps ever get chilly you can always use an extra blanket.
Nick12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2019, 05:01 PM   #29
Recycles dryer sheets

I think you are looking at the right geographical area for what you want.

This is our 3rd winter in Key Largo. We have worn shorts and swimsuits almost every day. However, the Keys don't have the endless beaches that you will find in other parts of Florida. Also, we haven't noticed many golf courses if that is important to you. We have always booked ahead as I am a planner and worry about getting stranded with our 75# dog. As mentioned in other posts, every time we have traveled to Miami we have found the traffic to be horrendous.
Splash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2019, 05:37 PM   #30

We just flew back to LAX last week from a 71/2 week stay at our condo in West Palm Beach. I would stick with South East Florida (Vero Beach to Miami South Beach). With the Brightline/Virgin Train you can get easy access to West Palm Beach, Ft. Lauderdale, and Miami without driving. I would stay as close to the coast as possible. When you venture west of the I-95 or even the eastern railroad tracks that run north/south, it can get pretty nasty. Naples on the west coast is okay but pretty boring. With respect to rentals most of the better and more upscale high rise condos have restrictions on rentals and impose one year minimum leases. They do not allow owners to sublet, lend or rent through AirBNB or other intermediaries. The associations impose complete background checks of anyone renting or buying a unit which takes a few weeks. This is good for unit owners like us. Some Miami Beach condos don't impose the same restrictions. The older condos that are more inland also don't impose those restrictions but I wouldn't stay in those. Most seasonal renters in Palm Beach county tend to stay more inland or the one's with deeper pockets rent homes on the coast around Palm Beach which can cost around $45-$60K per month. Even many of those have 3 month minimums.
Freedom56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2019, 12:44 AM   #31

Interesting info about FL options, thank you all! I looked up water temps in Miami, Key Largo, Key West, USVI, and Hawaii, and even extreme South FL is borderline too cold for me. I wear a 5 ml wetsuit when I dive in the Caribbean. The water temp in Hawaii is much more consistent (76-81) vs S FL or USVI which vary from low 70’s to high 80’s. Hmmmm
Old 02-17-2019, 07:19 PM   #32
Full time employment: Posting here.

The weather in Southwest Florida is iffy mid Dec to mid Feb. a typical day is just warm enough for the pool mid afternoon, and weeks are broken up with hot periods and cold periods. Rain is rare in winter. Spring and fall are perfection, summer too hot for some.

Hurricane risk is mitigated by leasing rather than owning, moving inland, owning new construction under latest code, getting flood insurance or being elevated, concrete block to roofline. Owning along a power line connecting to a shelter or hospital is a plus for minimum power downtime.

Fort Myers Beach is more affordable due to brown water coming out of Calousahatchee occasionally. Water is much better towards Naples or Sarasota if that is important.

High season for tight rentals is Feb-March. You will pay more for lower quality going last minute.

If you like flat water boating, kayaking, Anglo mid western culture, and of course golf, tennis, Pickleball, lots of retirees to hang with, west coast Florida is better than east coast. East coast is attractive if you like busy, urban, more young people and New Yorkers about.

Naples is big huge large money mostly. Gets cheaper the more inland and the more north. Daniels Corridor Fort Myers is the edge of civilization until Sarasota, except right on the coast. Gasparilla is gentille big money. North of Sarasota and you start to catch more cold snaps.

Marco is seventies architecture looking like most of the East coast of Florida, but a stunning location for beach and boating. Sanibel is nice, Captiva is new big money.

We are in Daniels corridor, 10 minutes from the airport, and Marco up to Sarasota is our day trip play space. My hood, Paseo, unique, attracts California transplants. It’s a good base to start exploring from. We are close to Whole Foods.

Timing re traffic and restaurants is important in season.
Kroeran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2019, 12:37 AM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kroeran View Post
The weather in Southwest Florida is iffy mid Dec to mid Feb. a typical day is just warm enough for the pool mid afternoon, and weeks are broken up with hot periods and cold periods. Rain is rare in winter. Spring and fall are perfection, summer too hot for some.

Hurricane risk is mitigated by leasing rather than owning, moving inland, owning new construction under latest code, getting flood insurance or being elevated, concrete block to roofline. Owning along a power line connecting to a shelter or hospital is a plus for minimum power downtime.

Fort Myers Beach is more affordable due to brown water coming out of Calousahatchee occasionally. Water is much better towards Naples or Sarasota if that is important.

High season for tight rentals is Feb-March. You will pay more for lower quality going last minute.

If you like flat water boating, kayaking, Anglo mid western culture, and of course golf, tennis, Pickleball, lots of retirees to hang with, west coast Florida is better than east coast. East coast is attractive if you like busy, urban, more young people and New Yorkers about.

Naples is big huge large money mostly. Gets cheaper the more inland and the more north. Daniels Corridor Fort Myers is the edge of civilization until Sarasota, except right on the coast. Gasparilla is gentille big money. North of Sarasota and you start to catch more cold snaps.

Marco is seventies architecture looking like most of the East coast of Florida, but a stunning location for beach and boating. Sanibel is nice, Captiva is new big money.

We are in Daniels corridor, 10 minutes from the airport, and Marco up to Sarasota is our day trip play space. My hood, Paseo, unique, attracts California transplants. It’s a good base to start exploring from. We are close to Whole Foods.

Timing re traffic and restaurants is important in season.

Thank you, this is excellent information.
Old 02-18-2019, 03:11 AM   #34
gone traveling

Quote:
Thank you, this is excellent information.
I need to spend more time on the West Coast of FL. Spent a huge amount of my life in Central and South Florida. It's true about the comparison of East vs West in Florida. Excellent write up. But you didn't mention about all the alligators?
Old 02-18-2019, 04:37 AM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick12 View Post
... But you didn't mention about all the alligators?
Far too many to write about. : )
Lewis Clark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2019, 04:59 AM   #36
gone traveling

My BIL is a cop in DelRay, and he lives in Boyton Beach on the SouthEast coast. We can hardly stand to visit him because of the Winter traffic. Tuesday/Wednesday morning at 10:00 am grid locked traffic on 4 laners, and the surface streets aren't much better. Lots of really slow moving New Yorkers with attitudes who park like they own the place.

[mod edit]

Given the choice, I would choose SW Florida.
ckelly78z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2019, 06:59 AM   #37
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckelly78z View Post
My BIL is a cop in DelRay, and he lives in Boyton Beach on the SouthEast coast. We can hardly stand to visit him because of the Winter traffic. Tuesday/Wednesday morning at 10:00 am grid locked traffic on 4 laners, and the surface streets aren't much better. Lots of really slow moving New Yorkers with attitudes who park like they own the place.

[mod edit]

Given the choice, I would choose SW Florida.
Visitors should know that during winter time that it feels like the world has descended to Florida to escape their colder climates. Small towns and even major cities populations significantly increase. Also visitors bring their $$$ to support Florida's economy and keep my property taxes low here in FL. The slower times to visit FL is Sept, Oct, and summer ( oppressive heat and hurricanes).
Old 02-18-2019, 07:10 AM   #38
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Visitors should know that during winter time that it feels like the world has descended to Florida to escape their colder climates. Small towns and even major cities populations significantly increase. Also visitors bring their $$$ to support Florida's economy and keep my property taxes low here in FL. The slower times to visit FL is Sept, Oct, and summer ( oppressive heat and hurricanes).
It also depends if the area is a snowbird paradise. Here in New Tampa, there is no noticeable difference in winter population vs. anytime else.
It was one of the reasons of not moving to a 55+ Villages type community or right on the coast.
Old 02-18-2019, 07:13 AM   #39
Give me a forum ...

We find North East Florida to be a compromise of all the goods and bads listed in this thread.
Old 02-18-2019, 08:14 AM   #40
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
But you didn't mention about all the alligators?

Mostly they are nice. Very docile. I like to fit them with party hats. Much like the bears and the bison when I visit Yellowstone, they are also fun to pet.

Try it.

They like it.

EarlyBirdly is offline   Reply With Quote