Join Early Retirement Today

Old 07-01-2022, 04:31 PM   #21
Recycles dryer sheets

Hi all. Here's an outline of what we have planned for our week-long trip in October to see the fall colors etc. I think we'll be doing Camden as a day trip, along with Boston and the Newport mansions/Salem etc over a long weekend when we first land.

Thank you all for your thoughts so far & please advise if any of this sound no good!

Day 1

Portland via Kancamagus Hwy to Lincoln, Franconia Notch St Park, overnight in Village of Loon Mtn

Day 2

Frankonia to Morristown, Stowe, then overnight in Burlington

Day 3

Burlington to Lincoln Gap Rd, visit Halping Bridge & Barlett Falls, overnight in Middlebury

Day 4

Middlebury to Woodstock, see Sleepy Hollow Farm, overnight in Woodstock

Day 5

Woodstock to Lincoln family home (Hildene), Mt Equinox Skyline drive to Creamery Covered Bridge

Day 6

Drive to Portsmouth NH (still working on this day!)

Day 7

See Hamilton House, drive to Ogunquit MA, then Kennebunkport & back to Portland ME
tmitchell is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-01-2022, 04:56 PM   #22
Dryer sheet wannabe

You are very motivated! That is a lot of driving but you will enjoy if the weather is nice! If you can fit it in anywhere (maybe before you fly back out of Logan) Concord/Lexington Mass has a lot of history! You could do a trolley tour if history interest you.

There a few highly photographed places in Woodstock if that interest you, beautiful depending on the leaves! Its hard to know when peak season is, depends on how much rain and warmth summer is!

Your trip looks great!
BarbH29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2022, 05:12 PM   #23
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

If you have the time, on your way from Morristown to Stowe, I suggest that you take the long way around to Stowe... Rte 15 east from Morristown to Cambridge and then Rte 108 south over Smuggler's Notch to Stowe Mountain Resort, then down the Mountain Road to Stowe. You can take a break and stop at Stowe Mountain Resort and ride the gondola to the top of Mount Mansfield for some great views... or there is a toll road to the top of Mount Mansfield.

And of course, don't forget Ben & Jerry's in Waterbury on your way to Burlington.

There is a nice dinner cruise on the Spirit of Ethan Allen out of Burlington harbor that cruises along the western shore of Lake Champlain. DW and I took it last year and enjoyed it.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2022, 04:23 AM   #24
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Acadia in October.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_5457fb.jpg (1,014.6 KB, 40 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_5621fb.jpg (961.0 KB, 39 views)
Old 07-03-2022, 08:42 AM   #25
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrRoy View Post
Acadia in October.
Beautiful!
Old 07-03-2022, 08:43 AM   #26
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb4uski View Post
If you have the time, on your way from Morristown to Stowe, I suggest that you take the long way around to Stowe... Rte 15 east from Morristown to Cambridge and then Rte 108 south over Smuggler's Notch to Stowe Mountain Resort, then down the Mountain Road to Stowe. You can take a break and stop at Stowe Mountain Resort and ride the gondola to the top of Mount Mansfield for some great views... or there is a toll road to the top of Mount Mansfield.

And of course, don't forget Ben & Jerry's in Waterbury on your way to Burlington.

There is a nice dinner cruise on the Spirit of Ethan Allen out of Burlington harbor that cruises along the western shore of Lake Champlain. DW and I took it last year and enjoyed it.
Gondola sounds awesome thank you. I'll check out your other recs too.
Old 09-24-2022, 05:29 AM   #27
Recycles dryer sheets

Quick update here as we made it to Portland. Despite my other post about the struggle to adjust to RE, our travel plans have been quite fun.

I had no idea how great the food is in Boston! Such a gorgeous city as well. Too bad winters suck or I'd move! We did a ton of walking and hit Harvard & MIT.

Next we drove all the way to Provincetown and spent the night there. I didn't LOVE it but was fun to go all the way out. Then back to Newport where we checked out a couple of the mansions and enjoyed an expensive meal in the port. We stayed in Jamestown at a friend's house so got a look at local life as well.

Salem was a highlight! Really beautiful architecture.

So far the food in Portland is great too. Found an amazing cheese shop and will explore downtown this weekend. Hopefully some of those donuts are still around

Next weekend we're visiting family in NH and then going to Acadia. Most of the leaves are still green around here, so hopefully a taste of color by then.
Old 09-24-2022, 07:59 AM   #28
Give me a forum ...

Oh. Portland MAINE, I get it.

Yes that is a really nice trip we have done a couple of times.

Also good to hit Nantucket, Martha's Vineyard, Block Island. Plimoth Plantation is a lot of fun and interesting.

Always a lot to see and experience.
Montecfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2022, 05:59 AM   #29
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I am following this as a possible girls trip 2023.
Old 10-27-2022, 07:48 AM   #30
Recycles dryer sheets

We made it home after nearly 5 weeks in New England, all of which was superb really. The weather was excellent, seafood especially great, people were lovely and welcoming. Too bad the winters suck otherwise I'd be moving! Still pretty tempting.

Since we had a month in Portland ME we got to know the city quite well. It's small but boasts "1/4 of Maine's population," amounting to under 100k. It's not a terribly remarkable city, and the downtown gets lots of action from giant cruise ships, but as a place to live it ended up being pretty nice.

For our week long road trip, we found Camden ME and Woodstock VT to be our favorite stops. Middlebury VT and Montpellier VT were also highlights. The state house in Montpellier was open to explore and was really interesting & beautiful.

The one place I wasn't crazy about was Bar Harbor, likely due to the enormous number of cruise tourists that poured in. Apparently there's a ballot measure to limit those numbers because the locals are fed up as well. Lots of beautiful and expensive real estate there though! Also Acadia was gorgeous so it made the trip worth it.

Thank you all for your thoughts and helping to make this a memorable trip!
Old 10-27-2022, 09:44 AM   #31
Give me a forum ...

Thank you for the follow up post.
This is a trip that is on our bucket list, so it was a great read.