Join Early Retirement Today

Fall Travel
Old 08-04-2022, 10:42 AM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Fall Travel

Well, I was planning ankle replacement surgery for September but after a lot of research have decided to put that off for a couple of years.

SO, that means we can travel this early fall.

Where should we go in Sept/Oct? We are pretty open. We have never been to Europe as a couple. Last fall we went to Jersey Shore beaches in Sept and to Vancouver Island/Wash St/Oregon Coast in October

This spring we went to NYC and to St. John and St. Thomas.

We love the Caribbean but will probably go to BVI or to Hawaii in the spring.

So that leaves Europe? Or Northeast fall color (but we get that here too).

Outer Banks? Maryland/Delaware beaches?

ideas welcome.
Montecfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-04-2022, 11:00 AM   #2

September Alaska cruise? If spots are still available!
Fall is lovely in Oregon/Washington, but it looks like you have been to the coast. What about Crater Lake, Mt Hood, or Bend/Sunriver in Oregon. Or Leavenworth in Washington?
Hawaii is beautiful anytime!
Mexico?

Short time frame for planning. Enjoy whatever you do!
Old 08-04-2022, 11:31 AM   #3

Japan in the fall? It's a relative bargain with the rise of the dollar. After our trip to Europe in three weeks, we are planning to go to Japan. Also business class fares from LAX to NRT are only $1642 return on Zipair (Japan Airlines) 787 Dreamliner with lie flat seats.

Freedom56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2022, 11:45 AM   #4
Administrator

Moved to the travel forum
MichaelB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2022, 11:48 AM   #5
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

My wife and I are avid travelers. When working, I traveled from coast to coast. Now that I'm retired, we only travel to Europe. Other than Yellowstone/Glacier, I have little desire to travel in the U.S.

We just got back from London/Athens and a cruise ending in Venice. Let me warn you that international airports are tough on the legs/ankles. My wife's got a Luggie folding scooter that has a 10 mile range, and she rides it to the door of the airplane. It's the only way she's been able to travel the last 3 trips. (She's since had back surgery and is in rehab.)

A starter trip to Europe would be London and Paris--taking the Eurostar train under the English Channel. Both cities are worthy for as much time as you can allow.

Another important European trip would be to Italy--Rome, Florence and Venice.

An alternative would be to mix in a cruise in Europe. We've taken 2 repositioning cruises going over. We also did Scandinavia/Baltics and the Greek Isles including Turkey and Malta ending in Italy. The cruises are very decently priced right now.

Happy travels!
Bamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2022, 12:31 PM   #6

In September and October it's spring south of the equator. If you don't want to do a long slug of air travel, think Colombia (if you favor the tropics), Peru (if you love moutains and the Andes are magnificent), or Argentina for food, wine and culture.
Old 08-04-2022, 12:32 PM   #7

If going to the British Virgin Islands, check out Bitter End Yacht Club. We went maybe 25 years ago and had a fabulous time. It was/is a bit pricey, but it was certainly worth it. It was all inclusive, you had free access to their sail boat fleet (small and larger). If you've never sailed or are a novice, they offer classes and you'll be out there in no time. It's on Virgin Gorda, a bit secluded, you need to take high speed ferry to get there. It is a stone's throw to Richard Branson's Necker Island...you can sail close by.

When we went, we flew in to St. Thomas, took one ferry to Tortola, then the high speed ferry to Virgin Gorda.

Definitely check it out, if not for this trip, then one in the future.

https://beyc.com/
njhowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2022, 03:56 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by njhowie View Post
If going to the British Virgin Islands, check out Bitter End Yacht Club. We went maybe 25 years ago and had a fabulous time. It was/is a bit pricey, but it was certainly worth it. It was all inclusive, you had free access to their sail boat fleet (small and larger). If you've never sailed or are a novice, they offer classes and you'll be out there in no time. It's on Virgin Gorda, a bit secluded, you need to take high speed ferry to get there. It is a stone's throw to Richard Branson's Necker Island...you can sail close by.

When we went, we flew in to St. Thomas, took one ferry to Tortola, then the high speed ferry to Virgin Gorda.

Definitely check it out, if not for this trip, then one in the future.

https://beyc.com/
We have been there, and I agree it is fabulous. It would.definitely be on our list for a return engagement.

We took the same route and also.went to Cooper Island, Jost Van Dyke,.The Baths and the famed snorkeling spots.

And that was also about 25 years ago.
Old 08-04-2022, 04:08 PM   #9
Administrator

You mention ankle surgery, so does that mean you prefer to limit your outdoor activity? Not looking to pry, just get a better sense of options.

Canada is always a top destination, and Braumeister just started a thread on that https://www.early-retirement.org/for...ml#post2810625

Grand Canyon and surrounding area is breathtaking and a great time to visit is after school year has begun.
MichaelB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2022, 05:29 PM   #10

I need ankle replacement. It is a less common surgery than knee hip or shoulder surgery with a wider range of possible outcomes. I am cautious about heading down that path, plus it is a long recovery.

I use an ankle brace and great Hoka hiking boots and ice after. Plus a recent injection has improved function a lot. I can do most of what I want to do.

I appreciate the concern.
Old 08-04-2022, 05:30 PM   #11

And thanks for the Grand Canyon idea. There is a lot to consider in that area.
Old 08-04-2022, 05:39 PM   #12

We have spent numerous Sept/Octs in Greece and Turkey. Island hopping from Athens-Crete, or Corfu-Zakynthos. Pre covid we spent the last two weeks in Oct in Cyprus. Fast, inexpensive flight from Greece. It was 28 every day....except in the mountains.

We have done the same touring Sicily and then spending time in the Aeolian islands. Or touring along the Med coast of Turkey from Antalya, then south from Marmaris to Rhodes.

You have so many choices. But you need to decide....cruise, independent travel, etc.

We just came back from Portugal in May/June. Madeira and the mainland. It would be very nice in Sept/Oct. As would be Spain and southern France.

We are tentatively planning for six weeks Sept/Oct island hopping in Greece.
brett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2022, 10:46 PM   #13

I highly recommend Greece. September is fabulous for island hopping, while October would be good for the mainland. We were there from late August to early October in 2018. We found that by late September, some of the smaller islands were shutting many activities down as the business owners go to Athens for the winter.

If you want further thoughts on Greece, feel free to PM me.

Other potentially interesting places could be Croatia or Portugal.
Scuba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2022, 10:50 PM   #14
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Do you want to fly or drive? Before you decide on method of transport read the fair warning about travel thread.. How long do you want the trip to be? How much money do you want to spend?...the world is a big place
ivinsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2022, 06:30 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivinsfan View Post
Do you want to fly or drive? Before you decide on method of transport read the fair warning about travel thread.. How long do you want the trip to be? How much money do you want to spend?...the world is a big place
We are pretty open on all counts. Love to drive but that ends up being a bit limiting. But a beach trip on the east coast or a trip to Vermont are in the mix. We are not cheap but we are value oriented. Accordingly we tend to like to explore on our own, find off-the-beaten path places to stay, etc. We tend to not find high-end dining to be worth it so again we look for unique places that are good and inexpensive.

When travelling to non-English speaking locales, I know we may need to use guides, etc and we are ok with that (though I can manage enough Spanish to get by where that is the native language).

I am hoping air travel will settle down after kids are back in school, but will review the fair warning thread.

We have never done a cruise, but the two places that seem interesting to cruise are Alaska and the Mediterranean.

We often plan travel relatively late in the game, covid has taught us this.

I am thinking we would be away 2 weeks or so.
Old 08-05-2022, 02:58 PM   #16
Recycles dryer sheets

I believe you and I have communicate regarding ankle joint replacement.
Iíve had two on the same ankle. First in 2010, second in March 2021.
The surgeonís concern was that the first device was loose and I had a large bone cyst on my talus. Turns out the device was not loose. However the cyst needed to be addressed.
Recovery was vastly different for each surgery. Five months after the second I went on a 13 mile hike. No problem, but I could I could not have done it again the next day. But I did not suffer. I have hiked and biked all over since the revision surgery. I climb ladders, lift weights (not as heavy as I used to). My only limitation is no running. Doctorís orders.
I think the difference is improved devices and surgery techniques. Devices are custom 3D printed specifically for you now.
Bottom line, my brace and Hoka boots were no match for the comfort of the replacement surgery.

I would encourage you to have the surgery while you are still in good health. Then your vacation mobility will be unlimited.
Both times I wished I had done it sooner.
Also wish I had retired sooner than 57.
Gallaher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2022, 09:31 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gallaher View Post
I believe you and I have communicate regarding ankle joint replacement.
Iíve had two on the same ankle. First in 2010, second in March 2021.
The surgeonís concern was that the first device was loose and I had a large bone cyst on my talus. Turns out the device was not loose. However the cyst needed to be addressed.
Recovery was vastly different for each surgery. Five months after the second I went on a 13 mile hike. No problem, but I could I could not have done it again the next day. But I did not suffer. I have hiked and biked all over since the revision surgery. I climb ladders, lift weights (not as heavy as I used to). My only limitation is no running. Doctorís orders.
I think the difference is improved devices and surgery techniques. Devices are custom 3D printed specifically for you now.
Bottom line, my brace and Hoka boots were no match for the comfort of the replacement surgery.

I would encourage you to have the surgery while you are still in good health. Then your vacation mobility will be unlimited.
Both times I wished I had done it sooner.
Also wish I had retired sooner than 57.
Thanks Gallaher. I messaged you some time ago after we had connected to see how recovery from your 2nd surgery was progressing. Glad to hear things are proceeding well for you.

Since that time i have gained a great deal of additional info on the surgery, interviewed 5 surgeons and rejoined a larger forum to compare notes with folks like yourself who have had the surgery. It was all very helpful and has led me to this point.

Best,

Monte
Old 08-06-2022, 09:40 AM   #18

thanks for the great suggestions! Not sure where things will end up.

We are looking first at Europe now, or southwest US as second option, and a driving fallback of heading to the Outer Banks.

Those of you familiar with the Greek isles, would love to know your favorite specific islands and why. We are only looking at a couple of weeks so we have to stay focused and not try to do too much.
Old 08-09-2022, 01:13 PM   #19

Pre covid we were always shopping.

Spent 5 weeks in Portugal this past May/June.

Currently we are shopping air, etc for 6 weeks Sept/Oct in Greece, a two week stay early Nov. stay in Puerto Vallarta, and an 8 week snowbird trip to Thailand/Malaysia. Plus a 7 day AI trip with daughter and family over the Xmas break.

No idea where we will end up with. But we are shopping!
brett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2022, 03:39 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by brett View Post
Pre covid we were always shopping.

Spent 5 weeks in Portugal this past May/June.

Currently we are shopping air, etc for 6 weeks Sept/Oct in Greece, a two week stay early Nov. stay in Puerto Vallarta, and an 8 week snowbird trip to Thailand/Malaysia. Plus a 7 day AI trip with daughter and family over the Xmas break.

No idea where we will end up with. But we are shopping!
Let us know if you find decent airfare to Greece. Long flight!

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Early Retirement Forum mobile app