Join Early Retirement Today

Old 02-27-2013, 07:11 AM   #41
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by photoguy View Post
The synthetic fabrics are fantastic. You can wash them in the sink and they will be dry by the next day.
They really last too. The nylon, that is. That's pretty much all we wear. We never wear jeans.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-27-2013, 07:24 AM   #42
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lsbcal View Post
I really like these men's pants from REI: REI Adventures Pants - Men's 32" Inseam at REI.com

They look nice and are suppose to wash and dry well although I never tried this on the road. The concealed zipper pocket is handy too.
My husband likes the pants from Royal Robbins - similar.

These are the ones he prefers to use "in the field" - i.e. out photographing wildlife. Royal Robbins - Zip N' Go Pant

Me - I love the Exofficio Nio Amphi pants for traveling. Light nylon and they have a coating (something like Teflon) that repels water and stains. Really amazing pants, and last forever. I just wish I could find more colors in my size! Women's Nio Amphi

Also have several pairs of the REI Sahara pants. That's what I wear out in the field.
Old 02-27-2013, 07:48 AM   #43
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by HFWR View Post
Endowment ceremony?
I do not think this means what you think it does.

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 08:41 AM   #44
Recycles dryer sheets

Nice pants and quick drying underwear are great, but what about shoes and sandals that are comfortable? The original article made fun of white running shoes and some other silly footwear, but in reality it is my feet that are often the limiting factor in how long I am out during the day and how comfortable I am.

What types of shoes, socks and sandals do people wear when traveling?
Stanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 09:00 AM   #45
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

When flying I always wear slip on boat shoes/docksiders, easy on and off for TSA. Low cut hiking shoes/boots, always have water shoes,or sandals. No socks with docksiders.

Alaska will be difficult for us in June, mostly because we don't have raingear, only a dollar plastic poncho in our daypack for here in AZ. I do have Redball boots, from my winery days, and neoprene booties and paddling gloves for kayaking. I have a goretex running suit somewhere, I have to check it out.
Old 02-27-2013, 09:10 AM   #46
Give me a forum ...

My inventory sounds like Grasshoppers. However, I'm usually faced with wearing the hikers through the airport to save space in my pack.

Vasque short hiking boots for colder places, and Teva closed toe "water" type shoes in warmer places. If space permits, I'll also bring Tevas that are open sandals (but still with secure heel strap), but mostly for hanging out rather than walking. It is very important for me to protect my feet from injury when we are out adventuring, because we have to be able to hoof it out of somewhere without backup.

I carry Coolmax socks that can be washed and dried overnight, and will wear them with the water shoes (total dork) if I must.

Old 02-27-2013, 09:14 AM   #47
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Note: Threadjack ahead

Quote:
Originally Posted by grasshopper View Post
When flying I always wear slip on boat shoes/docksiders, easy on and off for TSA.
While I certainly understand this, I do precisely the opposite for safety reasons.

If I should be one of the tiny percent of commercial passengers who are involved in an accident, I want to be sure my shoes don't fly off so I won't be barefoot when I attempt to get out of the aircraft. Before you say, "Who survives an aircraft accident?", note that an overwhelming majority of passengers do:

Quote:
Looking at all the commercial airline accidents between 1983 and 2000, the National Transportation Safety Board found that 95.7% of the people involved survived. Even when they narrowed down to look at only the worst accidents, the overall survival rate was 76.6%. Yes, some plane crashes kill everyone on board. But those aren't the norm. So you're even safer than you think. Not only are crashes incredibly rare, you're more likely to survive a crash than not. In fact, out of 568 accidents during those 17 years, only 71 resulted in any fatalities at all.
Surviving a plane crash is surprisingly common

I believe the accident rate has improved since these stats were published.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah in SC View Post
However, I'm usually faced with wearing the hikers through the airport to save space in my pack.
And maybe your @ss.

I cringe when I see folks get on a plane wearing sandals or flip-flops...
Old 02-27-2013, 09:46 AM   #48
Give me a forum ...

Ah, REW, good point and not one I'd considered as I heft my reasonably mid-weight hikers on and off at the TSA checkpoint. Fortunately they are also very comfortable, just in case I need to outrun my fellow passengers in a Donner Pass-type situation later.

Old 02-27-2013, 10:34 AM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post

While I certainly understand this, I do precisely the opposite for safety reasons.

If I should be one of the tiny percent of commercial passengers who are involved in an accident, I want to be sure my shoes don't fly off so I won't be barefoot when I attempt to get out of the aircraft. Before you say, "Who survives an aircraft accident?", note that an overwhelming majority of passengers do:
I will remember that when I am strapped into my airline seat, and I am plummeting to earth from 33000 ft with the wind at my back.
Old 02-27-2013, 10:50 AM   #50
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by grasshopper View Post
I will remember that when I am strapped into my airline seat, and I am plummeting to earth from 33000 ft with the wind at my back.
Guess you didn't read what I quoted...
Old 02-27-2013, 10:59 AM   #51
Recycles dryer sheets

Has anybody heard of good sandals with a lot of adjustment in them. My feet swell as the day goes on so I would like several straps so I can adjust to the swelling.
Stanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 11:08 AM   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
Guess you didn't read what I quoted...

Sorry for being a smart*s, docksiders do have shoelaces to tighten, and they would be great with jet fuel on the tarmac.

Just saying.
Old 02-27-2013, 11:20 AM   #53
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanley View Post
Has anybody heard of good sandals with a lot of adjustment in them. My feet swell as the day goes on so I would like several straps so I can adjust to the swelling.
Velcro adjusting straps are your friends. I have two pairs like this:

Amazon.com: Clarks Women's Hatch Backstrap Sandal: Shoes

Hopefully they make something similar for men.
Meadbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 11:26 AM   #54
Give me a forum ...

Stanley, these are my regular sandals and I also have a pair that are more "sandal-y"
Teva Dozer 3 Sandal - Men's | Backcountry.com

Tags
fashion travel