Fausses pâtisseries in Paris

Chuckanut

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
It appears the tourists are being taken advantage of in France. (Who would have imagined?) Factory made pastries are being sold to tourists!!!

https://www.washingtonpost.com/travel/tips/paris-bakeries-homemade-pastries/

Look out for the logo of Boulanger de France. This certification, created by the French baking confederation, guarantees that a bakery makes everything they sell — including pastries, quiches, and sandwiches — on site.
Clues to factory made pastries include:

1. too big of a variety - pastries take a long time to make, too long for a real baker to make a large variety every day.
  2. Near to famous landmarks - buy your pastries from a bakery that is not walking distance from le tour Eiffel.
  3. Consistently even, perfectly shaped pastries - anybody who bakes knows this is hard to do by hand.
  4. Smell - the bakery should smell of sour dough starter, licorice and a hint of alcohol. Are there dabs of flour here and ther or is it antiseptically clean?

It's worth the time to get this right :). Seriously.

Ha, ha good thing I’m on a low carb diet and no longer eat pastries even in France!

Isn’t it funny how in France they still call their famous pastries “viennoiserie” - as originating in Vienna. Yes, I believe the original crescent-shaped puff pastry croissant came from there.

Fortunately many French do care about food traditions and are willing to pay a bit more for higher quality food.

Last edited:
From the article:

A quick Internet search shows that supermarket chain Carrefour sells croissants and other viennoiseries for as little as 0.29 euros. Compare that to the 1 to 1.20 euros that bakeries commonly charge...

Authenticity is subjective — and potentially problematic — by nature. For many in France, industrial pastries taste just fine (though they may not admit it)...

I recall reading an article about fake olive oil made by putting chlorophyll in vegetable oil. Even Italians got fooled.

When traveling in Europe, staying in Airbnb and buying our own food, I just bought bread from grocery stores and rarely sought out small bakeries, unless one was nearby. My peasant taste is easy to please. :)

By the way, I noticed that the price of a baguette varied all over the place by as much as 25%, even at a chain like Aldi or Carrefour. Perhaps the labor rate or other costs varies between localities.

Last edited:
Ha, ha good thing I’m on a low carb diet and no longer eat pastries even in France!

Isn’t it funny how in France they still call their famous pastries “viennoiserie” - as originating in Vienna. Yes, I believe the original crescent-shaped puff pastry croissant came from there.

Fortunately many French do care about food traditions and are willing to pay a bit more for higher quality food.

Haha me too on the no pastry diet. By the time we get to France that might change, but for certain I will be on this diet for the August trip to the UK.

[*]Smell - the bakery should smell of sour dough starter, licorice and a hint of alcohol.
[/LIST]

I married into an Italian family with some who live near SFO. This sounds like every "old school" house I have been in out there. Only the licorice and alcohol were mixed together. :D

Only certain types of baked goods are called "viennoiserie" in France. They're typically eaten for breakfast. Well-known examples are croissant, pain au chocolat, pain aux raisins, & brioche. The following page from the famous Cordon Bleu cooking school has a good explanation and some mouth-watering photos:

https://www.cordonbleu.edu/news/what-are-patisserie-boulangerie-viennoiserie/en

"Viennoserie refers to breakfast pastries made in the style of Vienna, Austria. While they did not originate in France, viennoiseries rose to prominence after an Austrian military official, August Zang opened a bakery Boulangerie Viennoise in Paris, bringing new ideas to French pastry circles.

Viennoiserie is the 'bridge' between pâtisserie and French bread. These goods are typically made with white flour and active yeast cultures, which cause the dough to rise quickly and achieve the perfect flakiness. Some are instead made using an enriched puff pastry."

Haha me too on the no pastry diet. By the time we get to France that might change, but for certain I will be on this diet for the August trip to the UK.

If you haven’t enjoyed puff pastries in France or Vienna then it’s worth trying. But I’ve had plenty over the years, including my favorite pain au chocolat, and remembering them is good enough for me. I’ll stick with the foie gras, fabulous cheeses, charcuterie, duck, and so many naturally low-carb traditional dishes.

Only certain types of baked goods are called "viennoiserie" in France. They're typically eaten for breakfast. Well-known examples are croissant, pain au chocolat, pain aux raisins, & brioche. The following page from the famous Cordon Bleu cooking school has a good explanation and some mouth-watering photos:

https://www.cordonbleu.edu/news/what-are-patisserie-boulangerie-viennoiserie/en

"Viennoserie refers to breakfast pastries made in the style of Vienna, Austria. While they did not originate in France, viennoiseries rose to prominence after an Austrian military official, August Zang opened a bakery Boulangerie Viennoise in Paris, bringing new ideas to French pastry circles.

Viennoiserie is the 'bridge' between pâtisserie and French bread. These goods are typically made with white flour and active yeast cultures, which cause the dough to rise quickly and achieve the perfect flakiness. Some are instead made using an enriched puff pastry."
Well that certainly explains it! The original bakery name!

This is certainly timely! We are going to be in France in June and no way do I want a processed pastry! If I am going to do it.....which I am....I want the real thing! Thanks for the heads up!

Funny how the human bodies differ. When I get any kind of digestive system problem traveling overseas my go-to cure is the gelato and pastry diet. :D

I do try to do Lower-carb at home.

Ha ha!

My doc says the wheat in Europe is different than in the US, and he has several wheat-sensitive patients that do fine eating wheat in Europe.

As for me, I’ve had so many including primo pastries in Europe that I just don’t hanker for them anymore. However, I will admit to occasionally enjoying a piece of the glorious super rustic type bread sometimes served at dinner in Europe.

I find eating low carb to be very easy in France and Spain, and I really enjoy visiting those countries anyway!

I recently found a French bakery near me that is pretty good. They sell large croissants for $3.50 each. Expensive? Yes. But I would rather eat one of those each month than a half dozen of the big box grocery store croissants every week.

Don't let me near their almond croissants.

There is a nice ‘barro’ pandaria across from the hotel I’m staying at right now in Lisbon, great little Belem cakes. I try to watch carbs but schedule at least one of these a day.

At least I’m no longer keto like last visit to Italy where I had no pasta, pizza or pastries.

It's worth the time to get this right :). Seriously.

+1

I started this thread partly because I thought it might add a dash of humor to the site, and because I take good food seriously. You are correct it is worth the time to get this right. If in Paris get at least one croissant made by a master.

I first discovered this in Italy.
After my first few cappuccino and espresso in Rome I was hooked. This was the best coffee I had ever tasted. I would hate to think what would have happened if I had simply drank American style coffee in Italy. Thankfully, finding American style coffee in Italy was impossible. Sort of like finding English wine in France.

+1

I started this thread partly because I thought it might add a dash of humor to the site, and because I take good food seriously. You are correct it is worth the time to get this right. If in Paris get at least one croissant made by a master.

But if the Factory is in France, is it still good ? ;)

I’m low-carb (mostly) at home, but when I’m Europe I can’t resist the local bakeries.

That’s a good tip for France. I’ll be there in July and will have to pay attention. Hopefully the cafes where I get my morning coffee and croissant are sourcing them from a local bakery. Maybe not, but one can hope.

I’m low-carb (mostly) at home, but when I’m Europe I can’t resist the local bakeries.

That’s a good tip for France. I’ll be there in July and will have to pay attention. Hopefully the cafes where I get my morning coffee and croissant are sourcing them from a local bakery. Maybe not, but one can hope.

When we lived in Paris our apartment was above a bakery. On Sunday mornings the ladies who owned the place would actually deliver a half dozen croissants to our door...not something they did for anyone else!

Probably still better than anything you'll find in the States. Even on a bad day, the food there is better than anywhere else (except maybe Italy).

When we lived in Paris our apartment was above a bakery. On Sunday mornings the ladies who owned the place would actually deliver a half dozen croissants to our door...not something they did for anyone else!

Hmmmm - how did you score such a benefit!

Hmmmm - how did you score such a benefit!

We were generally pretty good customers; in there almost every day. It was also a small shop so they knew everybody who came in. They were on the ground floor and we lived on the sixth and seventh floors.

A big plus with the French is being an American who at least tries to "be French" and fit in so we got extra points for that.

Last edited:

If it's not for export, I would guess it's good. The French remind me of the Italians, most of them will not accept low quality food. They might tolerate it if they have no choice. But, accept it. Êtes-vous fou? Tu Sei matto? Are you crazy?:D

Old thread, but I had to jump in.

One thing I found out about the patisseries and boulangeries is that even with the laws, people can find a way to circumvent. Thus, your artisanal boulangerie might have just one one type of bread made on the premise, and the rest from factory made frozen dough (like the type the supermarkets use).

Some tips --- For bread, ordering "une tradition" will ensure you will get a handmade loaf, baked on premises, with no fillers. It is regulated, and costs maybe 0.10E more. If offered, take the "croissant au beurre". Lesser croissants use margarine.

I really do recommend searching out the local little bakery. There are three within two blocks of our apartment. And more just a few steps beyond.

There is a similar issue with restaurants that use prepackaged/frozen dishes, especially in touristy areas.

I don't drink beer any more in the U.S. either.

But I do drink beer when on vacation in Europe--with my fake croissants.

We're leaving tomorrow for London--taking in a little bit of 5 countries.

Back
Top Bottom