Favorite Area of New York City?

Danny

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Just back.
Walked our toes off from the Upper East & West sides down to Soho Village Lower East side and Tribeca plus across the Brooklyn Bridge. Loved it except for staying around Madison Square Garden area.

I always enjoyed meandering around Greenwich Village. All sorts of neat little shops, bakeries, and restaurants to check out.....a cup of java, a slice of pizza, some fresh fruit, a warm cookie fresh outta the oven, a sandwich & a cup of soup....and LOTS of "interesting" people for your entertainment...'specially after midnight!!! And we enjoyed spending an afternoon or two in Washington Square listening to folks singing and playing music....and just plain ol' "people watching" there too! :)

I NYC
:smitten:

I like so many areas. When I go back now for 3 or 4 days for theater I have a favorite hotel on W. 44th St. between 5th and 6th that I like as it is small-ish and quiet and I can walk to see a couple of plays, stroll 5th Ave., window shop at Rockefeller Center(my first job out of college was in Rockefeller Ctr), maybe go to the Museum of Modern Art. I also like the Upper West Side just off Central Park. Also the Gramercy (sp?) Park area. And South Street Seaport.
And Greenwich Village. And on and on. I could live there again now as my son is grown and I am in good health and able to walk all over and take the subways, but I'd have to empty out the piggybank and that would cause me a great deal of anxiety and put retirement plans in turmoil.

I plan on renting an apartment in the West Village for a few months after I retire. I love it there but I think it would be difficult to live there.

Danny, glad you enjoyed your visit to my adopted home town.

There are lots of great places to explore, and walking across the Brooklyn Bridge on a sunny day is a something everyone should experience. Did you get to walk through Central Park?

I agree though that staying near MSG would be far from optimal. Its a bit soulless over there.

I ran through all 5 boroughs a couple weeks ago. It was a pretty cool experience. Stayed in Brooklyn with a friend. Manhattan is fun to visit but the crowds wear me down pretty quickly.

Went through Central Park on the way to Guggenheim to see the Kandinsky - had a great time meeting New Yorkers - 95% we met were very friendly and helpful - we met this old guy while we ate our breakfast at Zabars - he knew about Minneapolis he's a lifetime member of the Minneapolis Institute of Art although he hasn't visited in years - "Why are you a member of a museum you never visit?" - "oh, I gave them some paintings and they gave me a membership"...we leave and bump into Jeff Daniels (appearing right there on Broadway and also on Broadway)

Went to West Side Story (good - they've altered it some) & Hair (terrific) (saw exactly 40 years ago)

We liked the Villages Chelsea Brooklyn Heights (surprised it's so easy to walk across the bridge there and it was a beautiful sunny warm Sunday). We stayed in Soho last trip and that's nice too, thought we'd try out MSQ area just to find out and now we know that it's just too much. Will be looking for a quieter area - maybe Bed & Breakfast or smaller cheaper hotel in Manhattan or Brooklyn next time.

Enjoyed eating at the Grand Central Oyster Bar, Heights Cafe in Brooklyn, Cafeteria in Chelsea, Zabars, La Bonne Soupe Mid-town, Bread in Soho, John's Pizza Greenwich, Frankies Spuntino and Max in East Village

Meandering around the streets, stopping into shops cafes restaurants bars was a pleasure - visited our youngest son - we're both old vinyl record junkies and lord we had plenty of shops in Greenwich to browse in together.

Also checked out rentals (few months would be nice!) - Greenwich was kinda expensive close to $3k while Brooklyn Heights was under 2k and much quieter.

Now I'm enjoying the contrast and quiet of Minnehaha - I feel like I can hear a pin drop outside after Manhattan!

I like so many areas. When I go back now for 3 or 4 days for theater I have a favorite hotel on W. 44th St. between 5th and 6th that I like as it is small-ish and quiet and I can walk to see a couple of plays, stroll 5th Ave., window shop at Rockefeller Center(my first job out of college was in Rockefeller Ctr), maybe go to the Museum of Modern Art. I also like the Upper West Side just off Central Park. Also the Gramercy (sp?) Park area. And South Street Seaport.
And Greenwich Village. And on and on. I could live there again now as my son is grown and I am in good health and able to walk all over and take the subways, but I'd have to empty out the piggybank and that would cause me a great deal of anxiety and put retirement plans in turmoil.

care to share the name of it w/ us? i'm always on the lookout for
nyc hotel recommendations.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom