Join Early Retirement Today

First cruise question
Old 09-09-2022, 10:52 AM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

First cruise question

DH and I have been cruise curious for awhile. I do not want to spend anymore than is absolutely necessary because I’m not sure it will be our thing. For that reason, I want an interior room. My husband thinks he needs a balcony, which doubles the price. Are we really going to be in the room to do more than sleep
vafoodie is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-09-2022, 11:19 AM   #2

There was a thread on the pros and cons a few years ago:

https://www.early-retirement.org/for...vel-91473.html

My personal take, as someone who can be claustrophobic, I would never not want a balcony. Not even just a porthole or window. One big extra vote against interior rooms in current times would be if one became ill during the cruise, or had to quarantine for any reason.
Aerides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2022, 11:20 AM   #3
Recycles dryer sheets

We've cruised 3 times, and each time had a balcony, and it was one of our favourite parts of the cruise ship and well worth the upgrade (although, I don't think it was double the cost for us).

Are either of you introverted?
The balcony gives you a nice place to sit and enjoy the view, without the openness and people walking by.

It's also nice to order the breakfast room service (free) and enjoy a slow morning on the balcony, while getting ready for the day.
Old 09-09-2022, 11:23 AM   #4

I would be wary of pinching the penny too hard. If you obsess about the costs of what should be a relaxing and enjoyable splurge (cruises are never essential expenses), you might not enjoy it nearly as much as if you gave in and let yourself get the most out of it.

That way, even if this first cruise isn't exactly to your liking and you don't do any more of them, at least you'll be able to say you gave it your best shot.
Old 09-09-2022, 11:25 AM   #5
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by vafoodie View Post
DH and I have been cruise curious for awhile. I do not want to spend anymore than is absolutely necessary because I’m not sure it will be our thing. For that reason, I want an interior room. My husband thinks he needs a balcony, which doubles the price. Are we really going to be in the room to do more than sleep
For me it depends on the ship and itinerary. How many days will you be at sea vs in port? What are your ports of call?

Also, I will say that you should pick your first cruise carefully. I have several family members who are convinced they hate cruising because for their "first" cruise they went on a 4-night Carnival cruise during spring break.
cathy63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2022, 11:40 AM   #6

I'm with naggz. We are introverts. We enjoy sitting on the balcony, out of the room but still our private space. Totally worth it for us. If the cost looks prohibitive you might be able to wait for a sale on balcony rooms.
Animorph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2022, 11:53 AM   #7
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

DW and I have also never taken a cruise - we planned to, going into 2020, but then of course... . We are again discussing it for 2023.

Though we want our first cruise to be a short one, one criteria we have is a balcony room. It costs more, but we feel it would provide us with a better feeling of space and less feeling of confinement than an inside room would. In our view it is worth paying extra for that feeling.
Old 09-09-2022, 12:00 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post
I would be wary of pinching the penny too hard. If you obsess about the costs of what should be a relaxing and enjoyable splurge (cruises are never essential expenses), you might not enjoy it nearly as much as if you gave in and let yourself get the most out of it.
Agreed.

I would look to pinch pennies on the dining, drinks, and excursions while taking a better cabin.

Try not to take less than a balcony - get the cheapest balcony they have if you must.

Remember - you are going to pay about the same amount of fixed charges as everyone else on the cruise, so the cheaper the cabin, the greater the percentage of fixed charges which you have no control over...for example port fees and taxes, as well as mandatory gratuities.
njhowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2022, 12:09 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by vafoodie View Post
What you do in your room is your business. If you are doing more than sleeping, having a comfortable room makes a difference to how enjoyable the cruise is.

Last winter DW and I took a long cruise (about a month) and paid for a slightly larger room than we have used in the past and it was noticeable to us. We just felt more comfortable with the extra room and have decided to continue with the larger rooms even on shorter cruises in the future. It’s worth it to us.
mpeirce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2022, 12:09 PM   #10

I would think that if you take an inside room, you may not like it too much. That might sway your opinion on future cruises. I would say go for the balcony and see how you like cruising. Then decide how much you enjoyed having the balcony or not for future cruises.

We've been on 2 cruises and enjoyed both. The first was a very small boat by today's standards, 790 passengers if I recall correctly. We had an outside cabin with a (small) window, more like a porthole. The 2nd cruise was on a 2,500 passenger ship with a balcony. If we do another cruise, nothing less than a balcony for us.
CRLLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2022, 12:11 PM   #11

Cabin type is very much a personal preference. My wife and I have been on about a dozen cruises. We have had interior cabins and we have had balconies. We didn't use the balconies much, even on days without a port visit. Sometimes the weather makes being on a balcony uncomfortable due to strong winds even if there is no rain.

Neither of us is claustrophobic. And we spend very little time in the cabin while we are awake. I'd always choose the interior cabin to save money, because spending extra for a balcony has no value for me. I'd rather spend those dollars on an activity meaningful to me. My wife says she prefers a balcony and then rarely uses it, other than using the balcony door as a large window.

If you think you might be susceptible to seasickness, I'd recommend an interior cabin, as low as you can get, and as close to the middle of the ship as you can get. This will minimize the motion if the ship is in rough seas.
Old 09-09-2022, 12:12 PM   #12
Full time employment: Posting here.

If you go to Cruise Critic, you find threads addressing cabin selection. Balcony versus interior is like when to take SS or whether to pay off the mortgage on this forum.

You will get a better cabin for more money. The question is whether it is worth the extra money. Keep in mind that all the cabins are small. They are however well designed to use the limited space.

I have been on several cruises. I wasn’t sure that I would like cruising, but some friends encouraged us to go on a cruise with them. Turns out, we enjoyed cruising. Our first few cruises were in interior cabins. I had the attitude that I would rather take two cruises with an interior cabin than one cruise with a balcony cabin. I have had a balcony cabin for a couple of cruises. The itinerary makes a difference on how much a balcony cabin adds value. If you are in port every day and only sleeping in the cabin then it is hard for me to justify the extra cost.

I hope to get back to cruising. I do have a cruise planned for 2023. It is an oceanview cabin.
FIYes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2022, 12:29 PM   #13
Recycles dryer sheets

We've done interior, port-hole, and balcony rooms for cruises. The biggest factor is how you expect to spend your time. If you like to stay away from the busyness of the ship, having a semi-private balcony to hide away on & relax is invaluable. But if you're always out & about, truly only using your cabin for a place to sleep/shower, an interior cabin is totally fine.

My advice: try the balcony for your first cruise, and pay attention to if/how you use it. That'll inform your decision making for future cruises (assuming you enjoy yourselves).
Kork13 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2022, 12:30 PM   #14
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerides View Post
One big extra vote against interior rooms in current times would be if one became ill during the cruise, or had to quarantine for any reason.
I did contract covid on a cruise. Unless there was a great deal of quarantine going on, they will not leave you in your room. You will switch to one of the rooms blocked off on the 1st floor forward near the infirmary.

In our case it was not a big move as we were already in a deck 1 porthole room midship. Just moved our stuff forward about 10-15 rooms.
thod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2022, 01:50 PM   #15
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I have had rooms with large window which is called a ocean view and smaller interior rooms and I am somewhat claustrophobic. We were only in the room to sleep and shower except when I was teaching my online class. For us a balcony room would have been a waste of money.
Teacher Terry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2022, 02:46 PM   #16

I would add that the clientele would be important for me. We did one with kids and young adults and they were annoying around the pools so we spent more time on the balcony. We will take a Viking in March and I’m advised it is less people and no little kids. I really enjoyed my first and only cruise, but don’t like big crowds so I would prefer smaller ships.
Old 09-09-2022, 02:53 PM   #17

I spent enough time in windowless bunkrooms/staterooms when I was in the Navy. Balconies (and wine, women and song) for me on cruise ships!
Old 09-09-2022, 03:03 PM   #18

I agree with the discussions of interior vs balcony is strictly a YMMV issue.
I have been on 47 cruises, and with BTD have slowly moved from a balcony to a mini suite to a suite. It depended on the length of the cruise and how many sea days there were.
We personally love a balcony and we sit out, read, listen to music, watch the in port goings on, etc. The main thing is the privacy.
Souschef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2022, 07:31 PM   #19
Full time employment: Posting here.

We don't mind an inside cabin because lights out makes it really easy to sleep. We've primarily done insides for Caribbean itineraries and I don't think we've missed out on much (though, you don't know what you missed, what you don't know ).

I like a balcony because I like watching stuff happening on the dock when in port. But I'm on the side of "It depends on the itinerary." Looking at the open ocean when at sea kind of gets repetitive unless there's stuff to see. But it is nice just to have quick access to look outside.
We did a balcony both times we cruised from Italy to Greece/Turkey and it was fun watching from our room as we sailed through the Messina Strait and Dardanelles Strait. We had an ocean view for inside passage to Alaska and I wish we had a balcony. Obviously we could have gone to public areas to watch too but it's kind of more comfortable from your own cabin.

Eating breakfast on our balcony is kind of fun but I don't feel it's a must do for us.

You can always try booking an inside cabin and then try for a discounted upgrade onboard. The upgrades while onboard are priced per room versus per person.
Old 09-09-2022, 08:16 PM   #20

My wife's favorite part of cruising is getting room service breakfast and enjoying it on the balcony. It's worth every penny to her. I like the balcony and being able to open the door and get fresh air in the room, but would be fine without it, but I wouldn't want an inside cabin. I'd want a nice window at the very least (had that on our first couple of cruises).

There may be other options depending on the ship. The newer Royal Caribbean ships (Oasis et al) have "inside" cabins that have a large picture window that overlooks the promenade area of the ship so it's not as closed in as a traditional inside cabin. They also have balcony cabins that face the boardwalk area of the ship rather than facing out to the water. Those are a little cheaper than the oceanview ones.
disneysteve is offline   Reply With Quote