Join Early Retirement Today

Old 08-05-2022, 12:29 PM   #41
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I don’t know what you enjoy, but beyond the famous Lyon gastronomy, there are lots of Roman ruins around. Some in the city near the old cathedral on the hill, and some very nice ones scattered around Vienne 34km south of Lyon, which also has a large Roman museum. I think we enjoyed the downtown Vienne Roman temple the most.

A boat trip on the Saône is very nice and easy to do.

It’s a pretty cool funicular ride up to the highest part overlooking the river and city of Lyon. Nice overlook next to the old cathedral. And an old Roman amphitheater is nearby.

Lyon became wealthy as a silk manufacturing city plus other textiles, so there is a cool textiles museum, plus another artisan shop where we watched someone silkscreening silk scarves.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-05-2022, 12:40 PM   #42
Give me a forum ...

^^^ Thanks for the info.

I save Lyon for the end of the trip, when I turn in the rental car early. And because it's at the end of the trip, my research has not gotten to that point yet.

Will check out the surrounding attractions, and keep the car for another day or two to go see them.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2022, 12:46 PM   #43
Give me a forum ...

We took a 30 minute train ride down the Rhône to visit Vienne (small city) and visited various sites on foot, plus walked across the river to the museum. We did do a considerable amount of walking, including a steep hike up to the Belvédère du Pipet which had a great city and river overlook plus a view down into the large Roman theater which is used for concerts today.

Regardless tons to see in Lyon itself which we thought was a delightful city.
Old 08-05-2022, 12:49 PM   #44
Give me a forum ...

%&$$#@!

Just got off the phone with AA. I'd hoped to change to an earlier flight out my home airport to lengthen my layover in DFW (currently 2 hours 15 minutes). With lounge access, I'm happy getting there earlier. the computer essentially re-priced the entire itinerary. Yes, I could, for another $7,000.

Of course I can go to the airport early and ask to stand by, but wow.
athena53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2022, 03:20 PM   #45
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
We took a 30 minute train ride down the Rhône to visit Vienne (small city) and visited various sites on foot, plus walked across the river to the museum. We did do a considerable amount of walking, including a steep hike up to the Belvédère du Pipet which had a great city and river overlook plus a view down into the large Roman theater which is used for concerts today.

Regardless tons to see in Lyon itself which we thought was a delightful city.

No car needed is good.

About the funicular, that time when we did a day trip via train to Lyon from Geneva, we walked from the train station Lyon Part Dieu, and wandered across town to the Cathedral Saint Jean Baptiste. That's where the funicular starts, as I look on the map just now.

Can't recall if we saw the funicular to take us further up hill to the Basilica or not, but even if we saw it probably decided against it because did not have enough time.

I do remember on the way back, decided to buy bus tickets to save our legs.

PS. I also remember the train from Geneva stopped due to an emergency some miles from Lyon. The conductor explained that somebody got ran over by the train. No, it was a long train, and I did not see the victim.

They had to investigate the accident. We had to wait for a bus to come pick us up to deliver us to Gare Part Dieu. Hence, we lost some time that day.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
Old 08-05-2022, 03:23 PM   #46
Dryer sheet wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by cathy63 View Post
Are you close enough to go to PHX and talk to a real person at the AA ticket desk?
I did ICT-DFW-FLL then the return trip last week. Travel dates 7/25 and 7/29. All 4 flights were delayed by at least 1.5 hours. Wasn't a problem for me, I booked long layovers knowing things with AA were a mess.

What I wanted to point out was that both times I walked through DFW every single AA customer service desk had a line at least 200 people long. Felt sorry for the flyers but not as much as for the AA employees.

For the time being, I won't be flying AA. I will do whatever I have to do to avoid AA. And I have a LOT of business trips between ICT and FLL/MIA coming up. Basically every two weeks between Sep - Jan. Might just have to tell my company to put me up in an apartment in Miami for 6 months so I can avoid all of these hassles.
threeonesix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2022, 03:30 PM   #47
Give me a forum ...

^^^^ Uh Oh. Maybe when the travel date comes near, I may have to bail out and cancel the trip.

All my travel research would be for naught.

I did some research for my 2020 intended trip to Scandinavian countries. A cruise leg, a train leg, plus some driving. COVID hit, and of course nobody went anywhere.

I probably will do the above trip next, but will have to start from scratch with the research. Memory's not that good nowadays.

Old 08-06-2022, 08:32 AM   #48
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by athena53 View Post
%&$$#@!

Just got off the phone with AA. I'd hoped to change to an earlier flight out my home airport to lengthen my layover in DFW (currently 2 hours 15 minutes). With lounge access, I'm happy getting there earlier. the computer essentially re-priced the entire itinerary. Yes, I could, for another $7,000.

Be sure to put this in the inflation thread!

Anything which can be used can be misused. Anything which can be misused will be.
Koolau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2022, 09:33 AM   #49
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by athena53 View Post
%&$$#@!

Just got off the phone with AA. I'd hoped to change to an earlier flight out my home airport to lengthen my layover in DFW (currently 2 hours 15 minutes). With lounge access, I'm happy getting there earlier. the computer essentially re-priced the entire itinerary. Yes, I could, for another $7,000. >

gayl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2022, 10:01 AM   #50
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by threeonesix View Post
I did ICT-DFW-FLL then the return trip last week. Travel dates 7/25 and 7/29. All 4 flights were delayed by at least 1.5 hours. Wasn't a problem for me, I booked long layovers knowing things with AA were a mess.

What I wanted to point out was that both times I walked through DFW every single AA customer service desk had a line at least 200 people long. Felt sorry for the flyers but not as much as for the AA employees.

For the time being, I won't be flying AA. I will do whatever I have to do to avoid AA. And I have a LOT of business trips between ICT and FLL/MIA coming up. Basically every two weeks between Sep - Jan. Might just have to tell my company to put me up in an apartment in Miami for 6 months so I can avoid all of these hassles.

How is the fault of the AA customer service people that things are hosed up beyond belief.. Answer, it isn't. We should be grateful they actually show up at work knowing the crapshow that will have to endure.. I had major and I mean major issue when my Mother died and yes it was Delta's fault. I stood at the service counter after missing the last possible connection. I couldn't help myself and started crying trying to explain the circumstances. The gentleman helping me gave me a kleenex starting checking all adjacent airports and got me close enough to have a BIL come and pick us to attend family services. He handed me our tickets and said I am so sorry for your loss. That meant a lot.
ivinsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2022, 10:36 AM   #51
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivinsfan View Post
How is the fault of the AA customer service people that things are hosed up beyond belief.. Answer, it isn't. We should be grateful they actually show up at work knowing the crapshow that will have to endure.. I had major and I mean major issue when my Mother died and yes it was Delta's fault. I stood at the service counter after missing the last possible connection. I couldn't help myself and started crying trying to explain the circumstances. The gentleman helping me gave me a kleenex starting checking all adjacent airports and got me close enough to have a BIL come and pick us to attend family services. He handed me our tickets and said I am so sorry for your loss. That meant a lot.
Yeah, that's a pretty extreme example that allowed the agent to show some real compassion. So glad that he did.

DW was arriving from HNL into DEN (IIRC) but her connection to our home airport was cancelled. This was all in the middle of the night while I slept. She said "Get me to any place within 250 miles of my destination and Hubby will drive to get me." She called me at the last minute to keep me from going to the wrong airport as she'd gotten the last seat to a destination 100 miles away. Worked out great as the agent went to bat for her at the last moment. YES, it was the air line's "fault" but the agent can really make a difference. YMMV

Anything which can be used can be misused. Anything which can be misused will be.
Koolau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2022, 10:50 AM   #52
Dryer sheet wannabe

Quote:
I didn't say it was their fault.
Old 08-06-2022, 11:03 AM   #53
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by threeonesix View Post
I didn't say it was their fault.
Maybe I misunderstood your comment about not feeling sorry for the customer service people...I'm sorry if that's what happened .they customer service people have nothing to with airlines and airport snafus but have to try and resolve them. ..

To stay on topic here I'd say be it online or in person during a trip gone wrong..Best to treat airline agents like your best friend
Old 08-06-2022, 11:10 AM   #54
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Maybe I misunderstood your comment about not feeling sorry for the customer service people .they customer service people have nothing to with airlines and airport snafus but have to try and resolve them. ..

I read it the other way, that threeonesix felt for the customer service employees who had to deal with the mess they did not create.

When talking to customer service people, we never take it out on the front-line people who are serving us. It's not their personal fault that mishaps happen. Take it to the corporate, write letters, etc... Don't yell at their employees.

Old 08-06-2022, 11:14 AM   #55
Full time employment: Posting here.

We have traveled quite a lot this past few years despite Covid. A lot on BA first and business, and some on AA. We had some horrible delays on AA with minimum compensation. We are leaving for Europe next Sunday. With all the issues, we chose Iceland Air this time. Not the best business class, but the opportunity to see Iceland for a stop over was compelling. We booked this last Sept and not a single flight has changed AND they still have space on all of our flights. They do not seem to have the issues with cancellations. The only issue for most would be which connecting airport to get to. With Alaska as their "associated" not partner, you get the Alaska miles and if need be you can book Alaska to get from PHX to Seattle or Boston etc. and get easy connections into Paris or other parts of Europe. For us, we are heading to AMS to catch a Baltic cruise. Something most folks do not consider is airlines like Iceland and Norwegian which seem to have good service still. Now with than said, the volcano is erupting in Iceland 15km from KEF, so this will be interesting to see if it impacts our travel through there.
Happyras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2022, 11:25 AM   #56
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
I read it the other way, that threeonesix felt for the customer service employees who had to deal with the mess they did not create.

When talking to customer service people, we never take it out on the front-line people who are serving us. It's not their personal fault that mishaps happen. Take it to the corporate, write letters, etc... Don't yell at their employees.
I read the comment again and have to admit I can see it the way you saw it too. ..my first impression was different..I'm still happy I got to tell my nice story about my Delta angel.

I edited my reply to apologize to threeonesix..
Old 08-06-2022, 12:58 PM   #57
Dryer sheet wannabe

No apology necessary @ivinsfan, I'm often misunderstood. lol
Old 08-06-2022, 01:34 PM   #58
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happyras View Post
We have traveled quite a lot this past few years despite Covid...

In 2020 and 2021, we did not go anywhere. Too afraid of getting stuck outside the country with no way back. Even inside the US, getting sick and being treated in an out-of-state hospital while the spouse is hanging loose in a nearby hotel is no fun.

So, it came to our surprise when we learned some of the relatives and friends took the opportunity to travel, even out of the country, when every place was deserted. I wonder if the attractions were open for you to see anything.

Quote:
A lot on BA first and business, and some on AA. We had some horrible delays on AA with minimum compensation. We are leaving for Europe next Sunday. With all the issues, we chose Iceland Air this time. Not the best business class, but the opportunity to see Iceland for a stop over was compelling. We booked this last Sept and not a single flight has changed AND they still have space on all of our flights. They do not seem to have the issues with cancellations. The only issue for most would be which connecting airport to get to. With Alaska as their "associated" not partner, you get the Alaska miles and if need be you can book Alaska to get from PHX to Seattle or Boston etc. and get easy connections into Paris or other parts of Europe. For us, we are heading to AMS to catch a Baltic cruise. Something most folks do not consider is airlines like Iceland and Norwegian which seem to have good service still. Now with than said, the volcano is erupting in Iceland 15km from KEF, so this will be interesting to see if it impacts our travel through there.

I envy people on the West Coast near large airports. They have more options available. We do not have many flights going non-stop PHX to European cities.

If I pay for biz class seats, it's OK to go from PHX to an east coast airport, because the domestic leg does have better seats than coach. But for premium economy class, the domestic leg will be coach seat. The flight from Phoenix to the east coast is just as long as east coast to Europe. The domestic coach seat is painful for 6 hours.

I used to fly Southwest to LAX. Then, take a long non-stop to Europe. On twin-aisle international planes, the coach seat is more bearable for a 10-hr flight. But I am getting older and crankier.

From now on, I will not put myself through the pain. I have too much unspent money. Premium economy or biz class only.

PS. As people talk about on other threads, there are not many airlines with first-class seats anymore. Out of curiosity, I looked, and if I insisted on flying first-class to Europe, I would have to fly to LAX to catch one of those few planes.

Old 08-09-2022, 05:19 PM   #59
Recycles dryer sheets

What a great trip! I hope it all works out. The Dolomites are startlingly beautiful and quite different from the rest of the Alps. We spent two weeks there in 2018 and are hoping to go back. Since you are going near the end of the season, make sure to check the summer ending dates for any chairlifts you want to take as some stop as soon as late September. Also, we got snow (up to 1 ft on the higher peaks) on September 1, so be prepared for cold weather (at least bring gloves, a hat, scarf and one of those lightweight puffy jackets). If you plan on doing some hiking, bring hiking poles. The trails in the valleys are well kept, but higher up in the mountains they are often rocky and steep.
meridiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2022, 05:57 PM   #60
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
I don’t know what you enjoy, but beyond the famous Lyon gastronomy, there are lots of Roman ruins around. Some in the city near the old cathedral on the hill, and some very nice ones scattered around Vienne 34km south of Lyon, which also has a large Roman museum. I think we enjoyed the downtown Vienne Roman temple the most.

A boat trip on the Saône is very nice and easy to do.

It’s a pretty cool funicular ride up to the highest part overlooking the river and city of Lyon. Nice overlook next to the old cathedral. And an old Roman amphitheater is nearby.

Lyon became wealthy as a silk manufacturing city plus other textiles, so there is a cool textiles museum, plus another artisan shop where we watched someone silkscreening silk scarves.

We did one and enjoyed it. I have attached the story. I had to do it in 2 parts because of size limitations in the upload.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf BURGUNDY 2012 part 1.pdf (1.34 MB, 5 views)
File Type: pdf BURGUNDY 2012 part 2.pdf (1.14 MB, 3 views)
Souschef is offline   Reply With Quote