FlightAware Tools

ExFlyBoy5

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
I think most of us that travel by air are fairly familiar with FlightAware. It has gained more robust uses in the last couple of years (like where is my inbound flight) and many of the uses come at no cost to the user. Something I found today is that they have charts that will show the number of arrivals/departures for an airport from 2019-today...all for free.

I have found this to be pretty useful in figuring out how busy an area might be, at least as a supplement to other tools. Anyway, just thought I would share.

I have attached a screenshot example of the Cancun Airport.

https://flightaware.com/live/airport/MMUN#airport-parity-stats-container

Attachments

• MMUN.jpg
    MMUN.jpg
    126.9 KB · Views: 54
I use FlightAware a lot when meeting an arriving passenger at the airport. It's great to get the notifications when their flight leaves its origin, and then any alerts about delays, etc. The landing notification from FlightAware usually comes significantly before the passenger can even turn on their phone and text me that they landed. It's fun to also check how the flight is progressing in route.

I use it to help fliers when I'm at home and I know their flights (family). The most handy is the text message with their arrival and departure gates, sent while they're in the air, so the minute they turn on cell, they get an idea about how far they need to walk to change planes, and if their next flight is on time or not. Not that they couldn't do it themselves, but it's super easy for me, at my desktop computer. And it shows them that I love them (or at least I'm thinking about them while they're suffering through the indignities of flying) :)

I use it to monitor the fire tankers that take off from the nearby air force base. I can see them depart on flightaware and then watch them fly over our home shortly after on their way to dump fire retardant on the Caldor fire. It's pretty cool, especially if you watch it while playing the radio of the flight tower at the AFB. And you can watch their path and see all the loops they do over the fire before coming back home for a refill and another trip.

We are on one of the main flight paths into SFO. It's interesting to check on the flights coming in. For example, China Airlines has two flights from Taipei that typically arrive within a few minutes of each other. Vaccine tourism? A few months back the major carriers (e.g. BA) were running 787s on long haul flights. Now it's 777s. And Lufthansa has switched to 747s for their transatlantic routes. So obviously passenger loads are increasing.

Geeking out on FlightAware. What else to do during a pandemic?

We are on one of the main flight paths into SFO. It's interesting to check on the flights coming in. For example, China Airlines has two flights from Taipei that typically arrive within a few minutes of each other. Vaccine tourism? A few months back the major carriers (e.g. BA) were running 787s on long haul flights. Now it's 777s. And Lufthansa has switched to 747s for their transatlantic routes. So obviously passenger loads are increasing.

Geeking out on FlightAware. What else to do during a pandemic?

For geeking out, I prefer ADS-B exchange. You are able to put all sorts of overlays on the map (including aeronautical charts) and it will even show you the previous flights of an airplane concurrently if you like. It takes a little messing with to get it all figure out, but still a pretty cool website.

https://globe.adsbexchange.com/

American Airlines started using 777s on some of the shorter routes a few months back to keep them in operation. Airlines have had a tough time trying to get crews re-qualified and new crews trained and this has required some inventive ways of scheduling airplanes.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom