Join Early Retirement Today

Old 03-26-2015, 12:50 PM   #101
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meadbh View Post
It is not standard procedure for all airlines. This morning, at least four non-US airlines have changed their policies.

Germanwings crash prompts airlines to introduce cockpit 'rule of two' | World news | The Guardian

Thanks. This is good to know. The "expert" gave the kind of answer that had the air of phony assurance most of these people adopt whenever they have a mic in their face. Personally, I didn't even trust US airlines to have this one covered. The taking guy did press him to reiterate that it was NOT just a US rule and he did. Another reason not to listen to someone presented as an expert.
razztazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-26-2015, 12:54 PM   #102
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by razztazz View Post
Thanks. This is good to know. The "expert" gave the kind of answer that had the air of phony assurance most of these people adopt whenever they have a mic in their face. Personally, I didn't even trust US airlines to have this one covered. The taking guy did press him to reiterate that it was NOT just a US rule and he did. Another reason not to listen to someone presented as an expert.
Anyone who flies outside the U.S. has probably seen a pilot emerge from the cockpit for a washroom break. To those observers, such an "expert" statement would not have face validity, unless one assumes that airline procedures were being violated on a daily basis.
Meadbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2015, 01:08 PM   #103
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
I remember flying to Hawaii in the last "non smoking" row. Guy behind me doesn't stop smoking. Then he has an epileptic seizure. We're well over the Pacific Ocean. For a while the crew is wondering whether to turn around but decide they have to go on to Honolulu. It may have been that a doctor passenger on board diagnosed what had happened. At least the smoking stopped.

I remember being so relieved when smoking was banned on flights.
Back in the mid 80s I was flying from somewhere in Europe to Sweden on SAS. Had an aisle seat in the non smoking section. Turns out the smoking/non smoking divide was the aisle, so if you sat on the left, you could smoke. Right side, you couldn't. Kind of made the whole concept worthless. Count me as another who was happy to see the end to smoking on flights.
oldphd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2015, 01:43 PM   #104

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldphd View Post
the smoking/non smoking divide was the aisle, so if you sat on the left, you could smoke. Right side, you couldn't.
That arrangement was common in South America too.

As someone said, it was a lot like having a peeing section in a swimming pool.
braumeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2015, 01:50 PM   #105
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post
That arrangement was common in South America too.

As someone said, it was a lot like having a peeing section in a swimming pool.

I need to go workout....but if you can keep coming up with lines like that, I will stay and skip the workout. Hilarious!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Mulligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2015, 02:24 PM   #106
Give me a forum ...

At least 2nd-hand P won't kill you.

About 25 years ago, my employer sent me to Seoul. As a DoD employee, I flew coach...no business class for us! The whole trip, including connections, took 27 hours. I could not sleep. And the cross-Pacific flight was full to the brim with smokers. Also, vomiters-in-the-aisle. The lavatories quickly became unspeakable. When what was left of me finally arrived in Seoul, I was detained by airport authorities who'd inspected my luggage and found a set of walker's arm weights - the kind that wrap around your wrist with Velcro. Everyone was yelling at me in Korean, and when an English-speaker finally appeared, it transpired that they thought I was a North Korean agent and the wrap weights were plastic explosives!

I survived the experience (and went on to have a good time for the week I was in Seoul) because I was young....

Amethyst
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2015, 02:25 PM   #107
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
This morning's revelation that the GermanWings copilot deliberately crashed the Airbus 320 in the Alps is very frightening. Was he suicidal (which has happened before) or was he a closet terrorist?

No matter how save aviation technology has become, ultimately, stepping on a plane requires putting one's trust in another human being.
Of course its also true of riding a bus or indeed a taxi, or a railroad. After hearing this I do wonder how many auto "accidents" are really the driver trying to kill himself and his passengers.
meierlde is offline   Reply With Quote
Flying: A Necessary Evil
Old 03-26-2015, 02:55 PM   #108
Give me a forum ...

Flying: A Necessary Evil

Today's WSJ has an interesting article on how those new entertainment systems are causing loss of foot space to their electronic boxes which are often placed under seats where bags and feet are supposed to go. It's hard to believe the guys and gals who run the airlines did not think about how uncomfortable this is for many of their customers.

This may be behind a pay wall: http://www.wsj.com/articles/is-more-...ght-1427304252

Me? I would gladly trade the entertainment systems and power outlets for another 2 to 3 inches of leg and foot room.

The worst decisions are usually made in times of anger and impatience.
Chuckanut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2015, 03:02 PM   #109

Quote:
Originally Posted by 38Chevy454 View Post
I also did some work supporting the older aircraft including DC-3's. There are still a lot of them flying, although most are now cargo duty since insurance is too high for passengers.
I had the chance to fly in a DC-3 on the way back from St. Thomas in 1978. We'd flown in on a small model 727 but took the local airline (Air Caribbean) flew the leg back to Puerto Rico, where we transferred to a 727 for home. I enjoyed it, like a trip back to 1935!
Old 03-26-2015, 03:12 PM   #110
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by 38Chevy454 View Post
Started my engineering career at McDonnell Douglas - Douglas Aircraft Co in 1987.
One of the best planes your company made was the DC-10. Of course that was after they re engineered the cargo doors.
check6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2015, 03:16 PM   #111
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt34 View Post
I had the chance to fly in a DC-3 on the way back from St. Thomas in 1978. We'd flown in on a small model 727 but took the local airline (Air Caribbean) flew the leg back to Puerto Rico, where we transferred to a 727 for home. I enjoyed it, like a trip back to 1935!
That would be amazing, because the DC3 only went into passenger service in 1936!
Though, to be fair, they did build a prototype in 1935.

Douglas DC-3 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Old 03-26-2015, 03:21 PM   #112

Quote:
That would be amazing, because the DC3 only went into passenger service in 1936!
Though, to be fair, they did build a prototype in 1935.

Douglas DC-3 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Oops! I knew it was mid-30's but didn't know the exact year. Ya got me.
Old 03-26-2015, 03:24 PM   #113
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt34 View Post
Oops! I knew it was mid-30's but didn't know the exact year. Ya got me.
Sorry for being a nitpicker, Walt. But you know, INTJ and all that......
Old 03-26-2015, 03:28 PM   #114
Give me a forum ...

Love driving, dislike flying, but flying is necessary for over the pond excursions.

I had a recent near miss on a USA Interstate recently. Driver in oncoming traffic fell asleep at 4pm. It was a lightly traveled road. Came across the median and crossed our lanes without incident. He had 3 passengers too.

This was out of the blue on a nice day. Luckily, nobody was seriously injured, but the car was toast. A few seconds difference would have had a very different outcome. It really got me thinking about driving. I still love it, but much less after this near miss.

You may have crazy pilots out there, but driving is still way more dangerous.
JoeWras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2015, 06:48 PM   #115

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckanut View Post
Today's WSJ has an interesting article on how those new entertainment systems are causing loss of foot space to their electronic boxes which are often placed under seats where bags and feet are supposed to go. It's hard to believe the guys and gals who run the airlines did not think about how uncomfortable this is for many of their customers.

This may be behind a pay wall: Is More Entertainment Worth Less Legroom on Your Flight? - WSJ

Me? I would gladly trade the entertainment systems and power outlets for another 2 to 3 inches of leg and foot room.
This is the reason I still use seatguru.com... to avoid sitting in a seat with no storage/foot room. On some planes it's EVERY "c" and "d" seat - so every aisle seat.....
Old 03-28-2015, 03:56 AM   #116
Dryer sheet wannabe

Big people little seats made of plastic make it no fun, at least on united jet blue was great the last time I flew there. The accountants run united.

maloney50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2015, 04:46 AM   #117
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by maloney50 View Post
Big people little seats made of plastic make it no fun, at least on united. jet blue was great the last time I flew there. The accountants run united.
Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but the accountants have gotten to JetBlue, too, in the form of investment analysts. They've been criticizing JetBlue for years for spending too much time and money on customer service and comfortable seats, and JetBlue is apparently starting to join the race to the bottom with the other airlines.
athena53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2015, 08:38 AM   #118
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by aja8888 View Post
Here's one to top:

When traveling back and forth to Indonesia in the early 80's, I flew Garuda Airlines when they JV'd with Continental. I remember one of the planes was painted "Garuda Airlines" on one side of the fuselage and "Continental" on the other side!

I also flew Garuda between the Indonesian islands and those were some flights...passengers smoked clove cigarettes, half the emergency exit doors were placarded as "broken", no seat belts...etc.
Late 70's I flew a few times from Honolulu to Christmas Island (Kiribati) in the Pacific for business; well before the island was opened for the general public. "Air Nauru" shared a plane with "Air Tungaru". Nauru flight in, Tunagru out; one flight a week each way.

The plane had no markings outside, but inside was a cardboard placard that they'd change depending on who was the carrier.

There'd be only a few people on the plane which was good because the rest of the seats were full of luggage, supplies, food, etc etc. Flight attendant in flip flops!

On landing time the pilot came out and made us sit toward the back because the plane was imbalanced. He warned us that he'd be hitting the ground hard because he didn't have enough runway to bounce.

Fun!
Old 03-29-2015, 04:26 AM   #119
Dryer sheet wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakewood90712 View Post
Don't know. IMO, these days, passengers and flight attendants would stop any hostile action , using extraordinary means if needed , and the reinforced doors were never needed.

I do know on US carriers, with a 2 member cockpit crew , if one leaves to use the lavatory , a flight attendant or dead heading off duty pilot enters until the on duty pilot returns. Always a second person present. Apparently non us carriers don't necessarily do this.

My wife is a former flight attendant and she said the same thing. Unfortunately, the policy in europe of allowing one person in the cockpit at a time was a disaster waiting to happen. It is crazy to think that the pilot could lock the door with a switch and know one else could get in the cockpit. I guess they didn't learn anything from 911.

maloney50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2015, 07:03 AM   #120
gone traveling

I plan on flying to West End, Bahama, and hop around some islands there in a couple of months, but the only one delaying me will be me, or Mother nature!
Pilot2013 is offline   Reply With Quote