Join Early Retirement Today

flying without a rash (this title is of no help)
Old 05-20-2012, 11:06 AM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

flying without a rash (this title is of no help)

I am flying to Wisconsin to visit my daughter. I plan on bringing her some family heirlooms (a watch, a ring, a necklace). And, while these heirlooms are not exactly worth a fortune, I would like to make sure they get to her. I'm more concerned about the airport security people than my fellow travelers. So, what's a safe method for me to transport them (e.g. keep them in my pocket, a fanny pack, swallow them...)? I'd wear them, but the necklace gives me a rash. Strangely enough, the rash does not occur around my neck. But, maybe this is a topic for another thread.
redduck is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-20-2012, 11:19 AM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

My mom broght to me a diamond ring via flight from Japan that my grandmother used to own. She put it in a tiny cloth sachet (along with another item from my grandmother) and secured it in a zipper pocket in her purse. She said she was kind of nervous about it (due to value of the ring - about 10K), but she went through the security gate like normal people.

I guess you would just have to get your purse through the x-ray machine last so you can make sure you can get to it before someone could snatch it up? Is that your worry?
tmm99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 11:25 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by redduck View Post
I'd wear them, but the necklace gives me a rash. Strangely enough, the rash does not occur around my neck. But, maybe this is a topic for another thread.
You'd only have to wear them for about 10 minutes while you go through security. Then you could take them off. Would that work?

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 11:30 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

I've never taken rings off to go through the machines, or any other jewelry nor been asked to (although I don't wear a watch--that would probably have to come off).

DS took an engagement ring in his carry-on through three different airport security systems. The inspectors must see some valuable/interesting/weird stuff go through. Just stick some groucho glasses and giant underwear in your carry-on to distract them.
Old 05-20-2012, 11:33 AM   #5
Gone but not forgotten

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
You'd only have to wear them for about 10 minutes while you go through security. Then you could take them off. Would that work?
Recently they have had people take off their jewelry while going through security so probably the best thing is to put it in the zipper compartment of your purse . I also have a case for carrying jewelry when travelling . You could mix the good jewelry in with costume jewelry and put it in your carry on.
Moemg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 11:41 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

I see by your profile that you're a guy, Redduck. You might want to give some thought to what purse you'll carry to avoid calling attention to the jewels .
Old 05-20-2012, 11:45 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bestwifeever View Post
I see by your profile that you're a guy, Redduck. You might want to give some thought to what purse you'll carry to avoid calling attention to the jewels .

Well, maybe something like these would work:

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 11:56 AM   #8
Administrator

Redduck, you can travel with a manpurse but a small briefcase or computer bag will do and you'll get fewer stares. If you put the jewelry securely in an inner compartment in the briefcase you should be fine. Just make sure the pieces are not loose. If the bag fits under your seat it is safer that in the overhead - things are often damaged by travelers rearranging space to fit their own requirements.
MichaelB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 12:19 PM   #9

I take a fanny pack, put all my metal junk in it.

I moved across the country once and carried Ms G's jewelry in a Crown Royal bag in my carry on, they couldn't tell what it was because I also had gold coins that we gave each other for our anniversaries. Well they made be dump everything out in public even after I was whinning and crying that I had my whole life there. People were going by bumping me picking up their stuff, my stuff was going everywhere. Well one TSA person saw what was going on stopped the search and helped me gather my self/stuff together. We never found a gold erring.
Old 05-20-2012, 12:39 PM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Can you bear to send the items flying to her on their own? Via insured, certified mail or FEDEX, I mean.

Every time I read some new horror about flying, I bless my stars I don't need to travel by air for work. That used to be considered a perk, but not by me - not any more.

Amethyst

Quote:
I am flying to Wisconsin to visit my daughter. I plan on bringing her some family heirlooms (a watch, a ring, a necklace). And, while these heirlooms are not exactly worth a fortune, I would like to make sure they get to her. I'm more concerned about the airport security people than my fellow travelers. So, what's a safe method for me to transport them (e.g. keep them in my pocket, a fanny pack, swallow them...)? I'd wear them, but the necklace gives me a rash. Strangely enough, the rash does not occur around my neck. But, maybe this is a topic for another thread.
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 12:40 PM   #11
Recycles dryer sheets

I like W2R's suggestion

Nova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 03:26 PM   #12
Give me a forum ...

+1. And that's one stylish bag to boot!
tmm99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 09:26 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bestwifeever View Post
Bestwifeever, I don't care if you are a moderator. Read what you wrote (carefully) and turn yourself in. Especially the part where you could see by my profile that I'm a guy. Couldn't you have just let me know about that privately? And, then writing about calling attention to the jewels --I am so embarrassed (sort of).
Old 05-20-2012, 09:34 PM   #14

Thanks for all the suggestions. I'm a bit more at ease now. I'm thinking I will go with the zippered inner compartment of my little carry on bag that holds my meds and cell phone, etc. I keep the bag on the floor beneath the seat in front of me. It's not quite as cool as the man purses you guys pictured, but, it is green.
Old 05-20-2012, 10:20 PM   #15

I agree that UPS/USPS/Fed ex make a lot of sense, you can insure with them, all be it you might want an appraisal if worried about loss. UPS loss rate is in the neighborhood of .55%.
meierlde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 10:29 PM   #16
Give me a forum ...

They aren't going to be looking at your neck.

Old 05-21-2012, 04:22 AM   #17
Administrator

Quote:
Thanks for all the suggestions. I'm a bit more at ease now. I'm thinking I will go with the zippered inner compartment of my little carry on bag that holds my meds and cell phone, etc. I keep the bag on the floor beneath the seat in front of me. It's not quite as cool as the man purses you guys pictured, but, it is green.
That should work well. Good luck.
MichaelB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 04:49 AM   #18
Give me a forum ...

Too much worry in this thread. Just carry the items on your person (in your purse) and fly to Wisconsin.

I know someone who had his wallet stolen at airport security from the belt while distracted by the TSA folks. Since the whole thing was videotaped, he got his wallet back in about 30 minutes. It turned out the guy behind him in the line stole his wallet. They arrested the perp on the concourse.
LOL! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 09:48 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOL! View Post

I know someone who had his wallet stolen at airport security from the belt while distracted by the TSA folks. Since the whole thing was videotaped, he got his wallet back in about 30 minutes. It turned out the guy behind him in the line stole his wallet. They arrested the perp on the concourse.
Hmnn, this episode you speak of---it's not quite as reassuring as you think. But, yes, I'll just carry the valuables in my a zippered compartment of my little travel bag. I figure a bad guy would go right for the meds, before he goes for the heirlooms. (That's what I would do).