Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Old 06-11-2010, 12:29 AM   #41
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcowan View Post
We got back on Saturday from Mexico. In Vancouver, where the dead bodies don't have their hearts cut out. There are still dead bodies though, especially in east Vancouver. It is great to have such good PR. Tourism is up!
i thought that all you usually found was one of the feet when it came to dead bodies up there..
mh is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

We'll be in Vancouver in August...
Old 06-11-2010, 09:25 AM   #42
Recycles dryer sheets

We'll be in Vancouver in August...

But now we will avoid East Vancouver. Thanks for the Info.
Old 06-11-2010, 10:00 AM   #43
Full time employment: Posting here.

Not me. I represent a company from Vancouver and love it when I'm called into the office. I generally dislike big cities but absolutely love Vancouver. Absolutely beautiful with a wide range of activities and the variety of good restaurants is astounding.

To further confirm my strangeness, I'm looking forward to returning to my second home in Mexico in July. Can't wait!
Old 06-11-2010, 10:15 AM   #44
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BTravlin View Post
To further confirm my strangeness, I'm looking forward to returning to my second home in Mexico in July. Can't wait!
Leave your heart in Vancouver - that will prevent unwanted extractions of the ole corazon while south of the border.
Old 06-11-2010, 10:53 AM   #45

I've made nine trips to Mex in the last 4 years with no problems although my teenage daughters often accuse me of being heartless so that may be the reason.
Old 06-11-2010, 11:01 AM   #46
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I've made nine trips to Mex in the last 4 years with no problems although my teenage daughters often accuse me of being heartless so that may be the reason.
Maybe you left your heart in Mexico?
Old 06-11-2010, 11:17 AM   #47

Could be, maybe that's why I'm always so anxious to go back!
Old 06-11-2010, 11:27 AM   #48
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Could be, maybe that's why I'm always so anxious to go back!
I miss the place too. Haven't been back in 10 years now. I did pull out the photo album of my trips (back when photos were captured on film!) and fondly reminisced. All this violence is a little disheartening. I hope to take my own kids down there some day and show them the sights.
Old 06-11-2010, 11:58 AM   #49

We usually stick to Cozumel and have no problems there at all. I do know many expats there who have no hesitation about taking the car ferry to the mainland to spend several days tooling about southern Mexico, Belize and Guatemala. Hope to do that myself one of these days.
Old 06-11-2010, 12:04 PM   #50
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
We usually stick to Cozumel and have no problems there at all. I do know many expats there who have no hesitation about taking the car ferry to the mainland to spend several days tooling about southern Mexico, Belize and Guatemala. Hope to do that myself one of these days.
I've never been to the Yucatan, so there is some relatively safe unexplored territory down there that I want to see.
Old 06-11-2010, 12:11 PM   #51

Cozumel is very safe as the entire island is almost totally dependent upon tourism. Messing with the tourists is a big no-no. My wife feels totally comfortable walking around town by herself after dark. The worst thing we've had happen is being ripped off by the attendant at the Pemex station. They've got the nozzle in your tank and running before you even get the car in park and you can bet the meter didn't start on zero! Those who travel on the mainland say they get shaken down for speeding every now and then. The fine happens to magically be whatever you have in your wallet at the time.
Old 06-11-2010, 02:01 PM   #52
Give me a forum ...

Send a message via Skype™ to kcowan
We always ask for a ticket. The usual charge is about $17 if paid in 5 days. They have never written out a ticket. You just have to know the rules and demand your rights. However the transito polizia is not the federales. It is best to avoid encounters with them on the highways.

PV is also very safe, and walking around is fine but just don't flaunt your purse or wallet during holidays. Also carry just enough cash so that you can surrender it all. We have never had a problem but it is better to be safe than sorry.