Join Early Retirement Today

Foreign Transaction Fees
Old 08-17-2017, 03:38 PM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Foreign Transaction Fees

Booked a bunch of travel with the Costco Citi Visa since it has 3% cash back for travel. They took it back with an offsetting 3% FTF fee. Just a heads up. I should have read the fine print.
RetireAge50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-17-2017, 03:54 PM   #2
Recycles dryer sheets

I use Barclaycard Arrival World Mastercard for travel, but it is not available anymore. For airline tickets, there is PenFed Premium Travel Rewards AmEx. It does not have annual fee or foreign transaction fee. For other payments abroad, PenFed Power Cash Back Visa is one of the best.
Alex The Great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2017, 04:03 PM   #3
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex The Great View Post
I use Barclaycard Arrival World Mastercard for travel, but it is not available anymore. .

Yep, I used it for an overseas project and it saved me a few bucks
97guns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2017, 04:16 PM   #4

Yes, fine print is very important! I recently discovered that not all cards are equal in their coverage of rental car insurance. One of my cards, for example specifically excluded rentals in Italy, and another Ireland (i can sort of understand Italy as drivers are crazy aggressive there), but no idea why Ireland was blacklisted by one of the cards.
euro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2017, 04:49 PM   #5

We use an Amazon Visa which gives spot exchange rates for almost all of the world's currencies. Those it doesn't, you probably won't want to be visiting. It does charge $5 or 1% fee on ATM withdrawals (whichever is more) in foreign countries.
6miths is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2017, 05:07 PM   #6
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Our Wells Fargo ATM charges $5 plus 5% for foreign cash withdrawals.
We use a credit union ATM card that gives us full currency value and no charges.
All year long, we use a Capital One Venture Card that pays back 3% and we apply it toward travel. We usually have one free European airfare every year. And all Capital One charge cards do not charge transaction fees and gives you full credit on the currency conversion.
Bamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2017, 05:16 PM   #7

Use the Sam's Club Master Card. 3% back on travel, no foreign transaction fees.

Maybe they have the hidden screw with exchange rates?

Quote:
You will earn 3% Cash Back on Eligible Purchases made at Travel merchants located worldwide (excluding warehouse clubs other than Sam's Club).

Travel merchants are generally merchants identified by their MCC in categories such as airlines, rental cars, hotels, passenger rail travel, bus lines, cruise lines, timeshares, travel agencies, travel sites and tour operators.
FIRE no later than 7/5/2016 at 56 (done), securing '16 401K match (done), getting '15 401K match (done), LTI Bonus (done), Perf bonus (done), maxing out 401K (done), picking up 1,000 hours to get another year of pension (done), July 1st benefits (vacation day, healthcare) (done), July 4th holiday. 0 days left. (done) OFFICIALLY RETIRED 7/5/2016!!
Senator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2017, 10:51 PM   #8

Yep, the Costco card is the best one we have for domestic transactions, but for foreign travel we use a Wells Fargo or Amazon card with no fees, and a credit union ATM card for cash.
cathy63 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2017, 03:07 AM   #9
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetireAge50 View Post
Booked a bunch of travel with the Costco Citi Visa since it has 3% cash back for travel. They took it back with an offsetting 3% FTF fee. Just a heads up. I should have read the fine print.
Yeah, I only use it for domestic travel expenses. I use the Bank of America Travel Rewards or First Tech Odyssey MasterCard for foreign travel expenses. These both offer cash/credit back rewards plus no foreign transaction fees.
Old 08-18-2017, 03:08 AM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator View Post
Use the Sam's Club Master Card. 3% back on travel, no foreign transaction fees.

Maybe they have the hidden screw with exchange rates?
Should be standard MasterCard exchange rate, so don't worry about that - at least not compared to other MasterCards
Old 08-18-2017, 05:28 AM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Yeah, sometimes you don't know till you actually use it. My Fidelity Visa charges 1% (well, there goes half my 2% cash back). Fortunately on my last trip, the 2 major chunks- airfare and Airbnb- were charged in $US.
athena53 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2017, 06:38 AM   #12
Give me a forum ...

Send a message via Skype™ to kcowan
Beware that many organizations will offer to bill you in your home currency. They will add a convenience fee that is always > 2.5%. So ask for their local price.
Old 08-18-2017, 06:50 AM   #13
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcowan View Post
Beware that many organizations will offer to bill you in your home currency. They will add a convenience fee that is always > 2.5%. So ask for their local price.
+1

In addition, the exchange rate they bill at will not be as good as the exchange rate you get from the card. When I did this earlier this year at a hotel in China and chose the yuan, it saved us close to $200 on a $2000 bill.
Old 08-18-2017, 08:59 AM   #14
Give me a forum ...

Our choices:

Chase Sapphire Visa Preferred: 3% back on travel, NTF, good exchange rates

Schwab debit: for cash, they refund any ATM charges, good exchange rates

Secondary cards:
Bank of America Travel Rewards Visa

First Tech debit: was told they do not refund ATM charges
Lsbcal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2017, 09:02 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcowan View Post
+2

On this. The local business is making the profit on the unfavourable exchange rate rather than the credit card company making it. Last week, I was very surprised that a clerk in Hamley's in London asked me if I wanted to be charged in CAD. No thank you very much!
Old 08-19-2017, 02:11 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6miths View Post
We use an Amazon Visa which gives spot exchange rates for almost all of the world's currencies. Those it doesn't, you probably won't want to be visiting. It does charge $5 or 1% fee on ATM withdrawals (whichever is more) in foreign countries.
I have an Amazon Chase Visa card. They changed it to 0% FTF in the last year or so (yeah!). But you mention ATM withdrawals ... how does that work? I thought it was just a credit card and I don't have a pin for it, to my knowledge.
kramer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2017, 03:16 PM   #17
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by kramer View Post
I have an Amazon Chase Visa card. They changed it to 0% FTF in the last year or so (yeah!). But you mention ATM withdrawals ... how does that work? I thought it was just a credit card and I don't have a pin for it, to my knowledge.
I think you could arrange to have a pin for your CC but there would be fees so this is not the recommended way to get cash. Best to use a low/no fee debit card.
Lsbcal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2017, 07:47 PM   #18
Give me a forum ...

We use a Chase Visa with FX admin fees. Just did a foreign purchase last week. The exchange rate on the settlement date equaled the rate on FX.com to the fourth decimal. The slight differences were probably attributable to time.

We always ask to be billed in the local currency. The only exception is some airlines. They often have extremely attractive conversion rates.

Asking if we wished to be billed in our home currency seems to be very common in FLL and MIA. And Avis does it every time unless we check....and I cannot seem to get this fixed on my avis preferred account.
brett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2017, 10:43 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by kramer View Post
We originally got the card when DS went to Australia to work. The idea is to put money into the account and then withdraw as a cash advance. There is a 1% charge to withdraw at an ATM but no FOREX charge. This is better than the bank exchange rate when using a debit card with no transaction fee.
Old 08-20-2017, 12:48 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6miths View Post
We originally got the card when DS went to Australia to work. The idea is to put money into the account and then withdraw as a cash advance. There is a 1% charge to withdraw at an ATM but no FOREX charge. This is better than the bank exchange rate when using a debit card with no transaction fee.

For cash, I'd recommend the Schwab Debit Card. You can open an investor checking account with them and don't need to have any other accounts funded. Their debit card charges 0% foreign exchange fees and they reimburse you for any ATM fees. Works great.