Forgetting things on vacation

cj

Full time employment: Posting here.
We just got back from a trip to Cape Cod. We stayed at a Days Inn - nice, not luxurious, but the service was outstanding. When we first arrived, I found (to my great dismay) that I had not packed a phone charger. I assumed that I would have to buy one :facepalm: but, also assuming that I wasn't the only person who ever did this, I went down to the front desk to inquire. Lo and behold, they had an entire box full of phone chargers that had been left by other visitors over time. The front desk rummaged through, and in short order, found one to fit my phone. He said, "keep it, we have lots!" I used it while I was there, but turned it in at the end for the next guy. Nice experience, lucky me!!

I know one forum member (not me!) who left on an extended summer vacation to the mountains - where temps drop into the 30's and 40's - and forgot his long pants...

I went to the California coast from the muggy, hot SEC during college.
Took no long pants and only short sleeved shirts. Good thing my friend and I were about the same size then.

As a teen, I flew from Boston to London in August with miniskirts and t-shirts in my bag. I really needed to buy tights (the American kind) to stay warm, but I didn't understand that "tights" meant "pantyhose" over there. So I shivered through with my British "tights" and never disregarded a weather report again!
I have a packing list saved on my computer, with last-minute items like chargers and dental mouthguard highlighted. I check the list before I leave home and before I check out of the hotel to make sure I didn't forget those items.

I know one forum member (not me!) who left on an extended summer vacation to the mountains - where temps drop into the 30's and 40's - and forgot his long pants...
Hey, one time DH forgot to pack any shirts! We had to stop at the Bealls in Roswell, New Mexico - only city left on the way to our destination.

More troubles from Roswell - something didn't agree with him at dinner. I took him to the emergency room at 3:00am. They doped him up with narcotic anti-nausea medicine, so he slept all though the fabulous views of the pass through the mountains near Cloudcroft, and ended up missing the first two days of our photo safari.

Last edited:
As a teen, I flew from Boston to London in August with miniskirts and t-shirts in my bag. I really needed to buy tights (the American kind) to stay warm, but I didn't understand that "tights" meant "pantyhose" over there. So I shivered through with my British "tights" and never disregarded a weather report again!
I have a packing list saved on my computer, with last-minute items like chargers and dental mouthguard highlighted. I check the list before I leave home and before I check out of the hotel to make sure I didn't forget those items.

That's a great idea! Long time ago our family went on a vacation and I forgot to bring any underwear. Had to stop and buy some. My kids haven't let me forget it, to this day. Everyonce in awhile that topic comes up. Next time I'll tell them about "my" computer list.

When I packed a bag before leaving town, I always felt like I was forgetting something. So now I use a packing list app on my iPad. It provides me with great peace of mind.

I once put my bag down to lock the front door and forgot it there! I didn't realize it till I got to my destination (by car). Luckily, it was only a weekend trip and a quick visit to the mall solved the problem. I also had nice neighbors who kept the bag safe for me.

Forgot my underwear once on the way to a conference. Amazingly, one of my colleagues did the same! Luckily our conference was in a convention centre with a big mall attached. We both bolted for the mall at the first coffee break. It was a fun bonding experience!

One of the things that I have learned is that no matter what you forget, you can almost always buy it when you get there... not always, but mostly...

One of my sisters knew someone who would pack old clothes when she went somewhere.... and would leave them when she left so she could fit more stuff in when going home... I have tried this method, but can't give up anything....

The last few trips when we flew, we would buy a cheap ice chest to keep with us in the rental so we could always have cold drinks or even keep lunch cool... just a cost of vacation....

One of the things that I have learned is that no matter what you forget, you can almost always buy it when you get there... not always, but mostly...

Mostly. DH has allergies, and but sudafed takes care of it really well. But you can't get sudafed in Europe or mexico.

There's also things that are hard to shop for anywhere, like a bathing suit, so I always put that in my carry-on. I have enough trouble at home finding one, I'm not going to count on finding one at my destination. :)

Hey, I remember that guy :)

Due to traveling so very much in my childhood, I have never forgotten anything on a trip.

The one exception would be the Hurricane Katrina evacuation trip, when I "forgot" my car (rode with my beloved F), and my photographs, and nearly everything else. I had my laptop and 2 days' change of clothing. I thought we would be back in about 48 hours. Oops. :blush:

I forgot my medications once on a ten day trip. Had to get a temporary prescription from my doctor for my high blood pressure medication. Walgreen's was great about contacting my doctor, filling prescription, etc.The worse one was when I left my car keys in my Florida hotel room before flying back home. Had to call a locksmith at airport and take cab to meet him. Locksmith had to break into my house at about 11 pm on a Friday night. Then I took a cab back to the airport parking to pick up my car.

We also use a packing list that I created years ago. I print one off for each trip, AND take it with us. I leave it laying in plain sight, and jot down things I wish I'd brought (scissors, clothespins, for example) and then work from that list for the next trip.

It's h*ll getting old, isn't it? ;)

When we got married DH left all his underwear in his mother's clothes dryer. We drove 3 days to our honeymoon destination (ski resort in the off season) with the pair he was wearing and a spare pair from the dirty clothes hamper at our apartment. Every night he washed a pair for the next morning, squeezed it out in a towel and hung it to dry. When we finally made it to our resort we spent the first day shopping for underwear at a very posh men's ski shop. Actually, it was very pleasant because it was a beautiful day and it gave us a chance to explore. And laugh.

When we got married DH left all his underwear in his mother's clothes dryer. We drove 3 days to our honeymoon destination (ski resort in the off season) with the pair he was wearing and a spare pair from the dirty clothes hamper at our apartment. Every night he washed a pair for the next morning, squeezed it out in a towel and hung it to dry. When we finally made it to our resort we spent the first day shopping for underwear at a very posh men's ski shop. Actually, it was very pleasant because it was a beautiful day and it gave us a chance to explore. And laugh.

Perhaps your DH simply wanted to go commando. :ROFLMAO:

omni

For some reason I find these stories of what people left behind on their trips very enjoyable. :D

Ya'll people must be vacationing to some fancy high falutin' places if forgetting things like pants, shirts, and underwear are impediments to enjoying your vacations.

When I was in my early 20's I travelled with my (now ex-)husband for an important business event for him. There was a dinner with spouses and I had brought an appropriate dress, shoes, etc. But the dress was a little sheer and I forgot a slip. He was furious at me, and made sure that I was careful not to stand anywhere near a window or bright light all evening. Makes me laugh now :D

When I was in my early 20's I travelled with my (now ex-)husband for an important business event for him. There was a dinner with spouses and I had brought an appropriate dress, shoes, etc. But the dress was a little sheer and I forgot a slip. He was furious at me, and made sure that I was careful not to stand anywhere near a window or bright light all evening. Makes me laugh now :D

Too funny. Today women in their early 20s would wear a slip as a dress, if they even knew what a slip was.

In my days in the Aleutians, a few times after an hour of helicopter ride over open ocean, get fogged in. Land on the beach. We would saddle up our backpacks with batteries, test gear, spare radio and amplifiers,antennas, hardware etc.. 15 gallons of water for the zinc air batteries and go hiking 5 or 6 hundred feet up a mountain side through thick alders. If you don't know about alder bushes, see wikipedia.

Get to the seismic sensor location and inevitably we would be missing some critical item.

The standard line was: I thought you had it in your pack.

I would radio the helicopter pilot to rummage around and find it, if not fly back to base and get it. Pilot loved it, both for the humor and razzing he could dish out, and flight time logged.

Mercifully it was always the grad student/field assistant get the joy of hiking back down to meet the heli pilot and hike back up through the mess.

It was great training for their future leadership skills as chief scientists.

Last edited:
I once packed a single pair of dress shoes for a conference it had to present at - and learned the dangers of packing when the lights aren't fully on, as the shoes where mismatched! So I spent the first morning in a suit and sneakers (not an unusual outfit these days but back in the Megacorp dress code days it was another matter), and ran out during lunch to buy a pair of shoes before I had to speak.

Heck, it might have been better for him to MAKE you stand there... nothing better than eye candy for the old pharts that run the place... :LOL:

:flowers:

Once we left for vacation and neither had a house key with us for when we got home. We didn't have one hidden anywhere either. :facepalm:

Fortunately our college age son who was living with his dad was home from college and came over with his key to let us in. Much cheaper than a locksmith or breaking a screen and window!

Back
Top Bottom