Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Old 03-23-2010, 04:08 PM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonBoyd View Post
Wouldn't want to give up winter travel -- no traffic (read crowds) and the sights are spectacular.
AMEN on the lack of crowds. When we were at Carlsbad Caverns, we practically had the cave to ourselves. On the self-guided Big Room "tour", we often found ourselves the only people on the trail--whole different experience without all the crowd noise.
When we wanted a hotel night, N-o-o problem, and got great rates.
Nwsteve
nwsteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-23-2010, 04:19 PM   #22
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Nights down to the 20s are no big deal for us. We even get those in TX (shock!). But frankly, it's just not that much fun for us to travel much north of I-10 in the winter - just too much cold weather to spend a lot of time outdoors. It really limits where you can go.

I see people with really heavy duty 4-season fifth wheels, and they are so heavy you have to use an 18-wheeler cab like truck to pull one. Unless you are a working fulltimer who has to spend the winter in cold climes, it seems like a pity to have to go to such an expense.

Audrey
audreyh1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 05:58 PM   #23
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
Nights down to the 20s are no big deal for us. We even get those in TX (shock!). But frankly, it's just not that much fun for us to travel much north of I-10 in the winter - just too much cold weather to spend a lot of time outdoors. It really limits where you can go.
I quite agree. Camping (in the "Campers" or "Travelers" sense) would probably not be that enjoyable in the winter. Exploring America in something as agile as a Roadtrek is completely different. We are kind of "Storm Chasers" in reverse -- we go where the weather isn't. The Weather Channel is on 24/7 in some variation or another when we are traveling. We don't necessarily stay away from cold weather but stuff flying around in the air is definitely something we avoid.

Anyway, the point being that Winter travel requires nimbleness and that means no long drawn out set-up/tear-down procedures -- the Roadtrek fits that role.
RonBoyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 06:51 PM   #24
Give me a forum ...

Ron, what do you do about cooking and dishes when you are on the road and winterized? All the rest I get.

- George Orwell

Ezekiel 23:20
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 06:53 PM   #25
Give me a forum ...

TV dinners in the microwave? Paper plates?

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 06:35 AM   #26
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewer12345 View Post
Ron, what do you do about cooking and dishes when you are on the road and winterized? All the rest I get.
Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
TV dinners in the microwave? Paper plates?
It depends on how much time (hours) we have while stopped. We have, of course, the microwave but also a toaster oven and a Oil-filled electric skillet (but Google for other models). Although I use electricity exclusively, we do have the propane two-burner stove -- although, if cold out, it would be difficult uncomfortable to ventilate properly. Oh! And I do have that nifty Microwave Pasta cooker that is a god-send.

I have had suggested but haven't tried the "Crock Pot in the sink" as you drive down the road.

Yeah, it is not as convenient as in our stick and stone house but not everything else is either.

Dishes are done in the laundry room of the campground -- although we do use a lot of paper for weight control and storage space reasons.

We haven't done any "boondocking" but if we did, I believe the generator would supply the electricity needed at a very reasonable cost.

Now, having said that: I have no objection to "TV Dinners." Some of the Lean Cuisine products, for instance, are quite nutritious (not all, of course, so be careful). See this article, for example.
RonBoyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 07:52 AM   #27
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
We have never traveled winterized. At most, with our Casita trailer, we poured some RV anti-freeze into our waste tanks. As long as there is heat in the living areas, your plumbing is not going to freeze - open some cabinet doors inside if you are worried.

Then again, we never camped anywhere with nights below 20 in our Casita, and in our motorhome, we haven't gone below 11 at night. There, the basement is kept warm enough so we don't even pour anything into our waste tanks.

If you are bound and determined to camp where nights drop below 20 or so, and days don't really get above freezing, and your heating systems are really up to snuff, then you probably have to take more drastic measures.

Audrey
audreyh1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 11:36 AM   #28
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
As a fellow Roadtreker, we have be able to enjoy a variety of menu items without going to Lean Cusine by shopping an increasing variety of pre-prepped main-course meals from Costco. On last trip we had a veal entree, garlic shortribs, and pot roast to name a few. All were done in the stock microwave, so cook times had to be extended. Adding a few frozen veggies and some Uncle Ben's rice mixes makes for a pretty good meal.
It is pretty amazing the menu choices showing up in Costco refrig and frozen cases. The unit costs are a bit higher, of course, but the ability to have meals with character and variety is well worth it. Especially if you compare to eating out and paying the premium required for decent wine.
Nwsteve
nwsteve is offline   Reply With Quote