Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Old 08-13-2021, 11:24 PM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koolau View Post
Even though we only moved from the midwest to Hawaii, I'll suggest that culture shock is still a potential issue. I believe we have adapted pretty well. But (mentioned here many times) we are the only folks we know who have moved to Hawaii and stayed more than a few months to maybe a few years. Everyone else had moved "back home."

Typically, it's not the HCOL. I don't even think it's rock fever (Island fever.) Some have said "Its for the kids and grand kids." I'm sure, sometimes, it is. But I think it's culture shock. Without a certain "in" (a club, church, dazzling personality) folks from the mainland rarely make friends. Hawaii is "friendly" but only on the surface. Local folks have been burned too many times by people moving in and then leaving in a month or a year or 3 years, etc.

I mention this because I suspect moving to another country would multiply the effects we have seen. I always say "Hawaii is the USA but it's not America." If you move to SE Asia or Europe or Africa, you probably won't even speak the local language. Politics will be completely different. Culture will be almost unrecognizable in some areas. Fitting in or even adapting - especially as an expat American will be difficult for many.

Not trying to talk you out of anything. Absolutely! Explore the world if that is your thing. I'm only suggesting that its much less about finding a place to live than it is about living in a completely different kind of life and culture. As always, YMMV.

I think this is an excellent point. A similar situation exists in the US Virgin Islands in that it is difficult for stateside people to make friends with locals. The locals are generally courteous and helpful, but do not regard people who move there as islanders until a very long time has passed. Most of the people who move there are quite young so I think it would be pretty tough for a retired couple to make a lot of friends. We love visiting there and have gotten to know a few islanders, but the vast majority of our time there is spent together, with no one else.
Scuba is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-14-2021, 03:41 PM   #22
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by patela6 View Post
Thanks Brett!! Did you choose specific communities to rent? Expat communities or local? I'm guessing you made good friends along the way! Sounds amazing, especially when travel is still so tough right now...
We met friends in Thailand from Australia. Since then, while snow birding we have flown to Australia from Thailand/Malaysia and spent time with them and time touring Australia on our own. We have come to love Australia.

Same with friends we met from Yorkshire.

We met British friends in Southern Thailand. Covid has prevented us from meeting up with them again on Crete.

We are sitting at home doubting whether we will be able to get to Greece/Cyprus in Oct. We will not book air until a week or so prior to departure. Thailand/Australia is probably out of the realm of the possible for this winter. So is Mexico. Not certain what we will do. Desperate to travel but not willing to do anything foolish. Our health and well being are worth more than a cruise or a trip to us.
brett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2021, 03:44 PM   #23
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by brett View Post
We met friends in Thailand from Australia. Since then, while snow birding we have flown to Australia from Thailand/Malaysia and spent time with them and time touring Australia on our own. We have come to love Australia.

Same with friends we met from Yorkshire.

We met British friends in Southern Thailand. Covid has prevented us from meeting up with them again on Crete.

We are sitting at home doubting whether we will be able to get to Greece/Cyprus in Oct. We will not book air until a week or so prior to departure. Thailand/Australia is probably out of the realm of the possible for this winter. Not certain what we will do. Desperate to travel but not willing to do anything foolish. Our health and well being are worth more than a cruise or a trip to us.
Awesome!! ��
And totally get your itchy feet. I can't wait to get on a long flight with a drink in my hand!
patela6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2021, 04:29 PM   #24
Give me a forum ...

Send a message via Skype™ to kcowan
One of my former employees has moved to a small town outisde of Lisbon. Her DW is Portuguese heritage. Too son to tell but they waited until all their kids were launched.

Another moved to Antequera Spain, bought a house and lived there for five years. Now back in Monteray CA.

We know fulltimers who live in PV MX but they always return to the states for at least five weeks in the summer although they no longer reside there. One set of Canadians who returns to home in Winnipeg every three years for a month.

It is always a compromise because you trade low COL and weather for remoteness of friends. It is much better now with Zoom etc. But of course not a great time with Covid.
Old 08-14-2021, 11:51 PM   #25
Give me a forum ...

Location: Spending the Kids Inheritance and living in Chicago
Quote:
Originally Posted by patela6 View Post
Awesome!! ��
And totally get your itchy feet. I can't wait to get on a long flight with a drink in my hand!
Airlines have cut back on the drinks. Too many fights.

Last week when flying , they had no booze for the peasants (non-first class).
Old 08-15-2021, 01:32 AM   #26
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bamaman View Post
Those considering Europe will find the Schengen Agreement something to deal with. You can only stay 90 days out of 180 days in the EU in most countries without exiting the EU. Visa's are difficult to obtain--at least without costing you a small fortune.

But we've found Spain, Portugal and Hungary to be very affordable places. And the farther east you go from Hungary, the cost of living gets cheaper.
I am presently in the Hungarian Countryside - renting a 2-BR Furnished Flat for $230 a month. Utilities are running about $50 a month, with $12 being 100 Mbps Internet. I can easily reside (and rent) here on less than $1k a month. Although, I am contemplating the purchase of a Flat at around $45k. There is plenty for me to do here, and I am really enjoying my time.

The Hungarian Govt has extended the 90-day rule to 180 for US Citizens due to COVID, so I have decided to stay longer than originally planned.

I'd like to go visit the Balkans.. Maybe find a place on the Albanian Coast to stay for a while.
Old 08-15-2021, 05:10 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scuba View Post
I think this is an excellent point. A similar situation exists in the US Virgin Islands in that it is difficult for stateside people to make friends with locals. The locals are generally courteous and helpful, but do not regard people who move there as islanders until a very long time has passed. Most of the people who move there are quite young so I think it would be pretty tough for a retired couple to make a lot of friends. We love visiting there and have gotten to know a few islanders, but the vast majority of our time there is spent together, with no one else.

I have lived in a number of places in the US as well as overseas and I can tell you of a few states in the south east that you will have the same experience. https://getyarn.io/yarn-clip/3bf63e6...7-7998ef39c9b8

Cheers!
Badger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2021, 08:05 AM   #28
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshTrent View Post
I am presently in the Hungarian Countryside - renting a 2-BR Furnished Flat for $230 a month. Utilities are running about $50 a month, with $12 being 100 Mbps Internet. I can easily reside (and rent) here on less than $1k a month. Although, I am contemplating the purchase of a Flat at around $45k. There is plenty for me to do here, and I am really enjoying my time.

The Hungarian Govt has extended the 90-day rule to 180 for US Citizens due to COVID, so I have decided to stay longer than originally planned.

I'd like to go visit the Balkans.. Maybe find a place on the Albanian Coast to stay for a while.
Wow. That is cheap! Only been to Eastern Europe once, a short trip to Serbia. Would love to explore more!
patela6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2021, 10:32 AM   #29
Give me a forum ...

Had a facetime call with our SIL(Canadian) in Spain. She has lived all over the world but decided on Valencia for early retirement. She loves it there but she speaks Spanish fluently. Husband from the UK. Last place they lived was Moscow.

She says everything is normal where they are in Spain. People are out and about. They just came back from a five day yacht trip to the islands. She cannot even discern that covid is an issue. Might be different in other parts of the country.
brett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2021, 11:04 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by brett View Post
Had a facetime call with our SIL(Canadian) in Spain. She has lived all over the world but decided on Valencia for early retirement. She loves it there but she speaks Spanish fluently. Husband from the UK. Last place they lived was Moscow.

She says everything is normal where they are in Spain. People are out and about. They just came back from a five day yacht trip to the islands. She cannot even discern that covid is an issue. Might be different in other parts of the country.

This was our experience in South Carolina and Georgia last week. Very few wearing masks, all businesses open and operating normally, street fair held in downtown Greenville SC and was well-attended with no masks in sight.
Scuba is offline   Reply With Quote