Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Gate 1 Travel and the likes
Old 07-23-2021, 05:29 PM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

Gate 1 Travel and the likes

We have always cobbled together our own trips, but these Gate 1 trips sound great. I’m ready to relinquish some control. I’d like to hear some thoughts. Also, what is OAT? I see it mentioned often here.
vafoodie is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-23-2021, 05:52 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Location: Spending the Kids Inheritance and living in Chicago
Interested, as those Gate1 trips seem cheaper than just the flights to Europe, and they include hotels, etc.

I have read some reviews, and due to the Covid, folks were EXTREMELY unhappy as they didn't get refunds, just rebooked, etc...

Maybe in good times it's a good deal, but during bad times it sounded awful.

There are a lot of review sites ex: https://www.tripadvisor.com/
Old 07-23-2021, 06:23 PM   #3
Recycles dryer sheets

O.A.T. Overseas Adventure Travel. I've also been interested in Gate 1 and receive their weekly deals email but haven't pulled the trigger yet. I get the impression that they both cater to a demographic that's slightly more senior than we're ready for although that will certainly change as we age and our needs change. We've done a few tours with Intrepid and G Adventures and really enjoyed them. They take care of all transportation/accommodations, tours, and some meals. What we really liked was that the small groups of 12 to 16 were quite diverse with respect to age, nationality, occupations, etc. There was also plenty of free time built in and we usually but not always ate dinners together at smaller local places suggested by our tour leader. I distinctly remember having dinner together in a wonderful little place in Saigon and we all watched as bus pulled up across the street and 40 or so seniors got off and they all went to eat at what is as close to a chain restaurant as you could probably find. In Hue we ate at the home of a relative of our tour guide. The pumpkin soup and morning glory greens were out of this world. We've booked a "Walk the Kenai" trip with Intrepid in September. It'll be interesting to compare this domestic trip with what we experienced in SE Asia.

BTW last Jan/Feb, just before covid hit we spent a month in Thailand. Seven days on a catamaran with G Adventures and 2 weeks up north with Intrepid. We built in days on our own before and after each. We feel we got a very good feel for the country and hope to spend more time there on our own in the future. Absolutely loved Chiang Mai.
OldConch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2021, 06:49 PM   #4
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

We went on a Gate 1 cruise from Nuremurg to Budapest about 6 years ago. It was an internet deal with a relatively short response time. It was an Amadeus cruise ship. I’m not sure if Gate 1 had leased the ship/crew and was reselling the seats or if they were just acting as the booking agent for Amadeus and the airline that got us there. No complaints about either the arrangements or the ship.
Old 07-23-2021, 10:35 PM   #5
Give me a forum ...

With the exception of cruises, and one safari, all of our travels post retirement have been extended independent land travels.

I was actually considering Gate 1 pre covid for a solo India trip. We plan was for me to do 14-21 days in India (my wife was not interested) and then do the short hop over to Thailand and meet up with my wife mid/late Jan for our snowbird vacation.

Gate 1 was on the short list based on reviews, tours, and on speaking to a number of people we had met while traveling who were on a Gate 1 tour. Feedback was all good.

All on the back burner for at least 18 months. Perhaps longer. By then I will have to start the research all over again as no doubt the tour provider landscape will have changed. I still intend to do this trip. OAT is also on my list as is a UK firm whose name escapes me.
brett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2021, 10:48 PM   #6
Full time employment: Posting here.

We have done nine Gate 1trips.

The value they provide is why we keep returning. We feel we get so much in return for the price we pay compared to other tour groups we’ve done.

The trips are very active, but some items are optional, meaning more free time if you don’t care too purchase the extra-fee optional excursions.

Age group is not older as some previously supposed.. These trips are very on the go active, and the average age we’ve experienced is pretty evenly spread between mid 40’s to mid to late 60’s.

Big fans.
ElizabethT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2021, 02:23 AM   #7

I've done four Gate 1 tours and have two I am signed up to do next year. All of the trips have been fabulous. Excellent guides, nice hotels, great meals. You get an incredible value for the money. I have no complaints.
There were some issues with people getting refunds due to covid, but I think they had more to do with the airline portion than with Gate 1. I got full refunds for all three of the trips that were cancelled. The owner of Gate 1 called me himself to discuss refunds and the issues with airlines. I'd say the average age is 55-60 but they are quite active trips and age so far does not have to have been a problem.
SheitlQueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2021, 04:17 AM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Took a look at them. Prices seem good, but I tend not to like group tours. They consider 22 or less to be a small group!
Old 07-24-2021, 04:38 AM   #9

First I've heard of Gate 1, so no opinion.

We did our first and only OAT trip in 2019, a tour of Ireland. Itinerary and guide were both outstanding, and we enjoyed it immensely.

OAT is actually one of a pair of companies. The other one is called Grand Circle. The customers for Grand Circle are older and get a less active tour, but similar itineraries.

My main complaint about OAT is the same one expressed by DrRoy. We are experienced travelers and hate being trapped in groups of more than a few couples. Also, on many of their trips, OAT is big on exposing you to what they call "controversial topics" (social injustices, discrimination, historical bad behavior, etc.). I really don't need that.
Old 07-24-2021, 05:37 AM   #10
Dryer sheet aficionado

We booked a 5 day Greek cruise through Gate 1 for March 20, and then came Covid. We requested a refund, and they promptly did. No problem at all. Once the present Covid situation subsides, we are looking forward to re-book again with Gate 1.
Many of our friends have good experiences with Gate 1 as well
CuriousJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2021, 09:15 AM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Before giving money to any travel group organizer I would go back to 2020 and check out what people were saying in regards to getting their money refunded for tours that were cancelled. IIRC, some of the companies mentioned in this thread did not follow their own policies that existed at the time of payment. They often changed their policies to do away with cash refunds, and then applied the changes retroactively to the unfortunate customer. One large national airline, I believe, is still in direct violation of US law regarding refunds.

Covid is not over yet. Most of the world is not vaccinated. If they cheated customers once, will they do it again? Like my grandpappy used to say "Once bitten, twice shy."

The worst decisions are usually made in times of anger and impatience.
Chuckanut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2021, 10:45 AM   #12

O.A.T. (Overseas Adventure Travel) is a small group tour company - no more than 16. They go the same places as Gate 1 Discovery Tours (a small group equivalent). It is all in how you want to spend your time and the total price for the experience. OAT grades their tours by activity level so you can pick tours with more (or less) walking/hiking.

I've traveled with them 10 times and they provide a quality product with enough free time to explore on your own. They also attract a friendly group of people who intermingle throughout the day and on meals on your own.

It is all in what your are want. Hotels are 3*, occasionally 4, and you generally spend 2-3 nights in one place. Controversial topics used to be handled in transit by the tour leader, now with Covid and access restricted in many places, OAT seems to be inserting more local speakers on these topics. Depending on how the itinerary is organized, you can skip out of these and rejoin the group afterwards.

Similar groups are Odysseys Unlimited, Elder Treks, and Road Scholar.
Old 07-24-2021, 10:51 AM   #13
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckanut View Post
Before giving money to any travel group organizer I would go back to 2020 and check out what people were saying in regards to getting their money refunded for tours that were cancelled. IIRC, some of the companies mentioned in this thread did not follow their own policies that existed at the time of payment. They often changed their policies to do away with cash refunds, and then applied the changes retroactively to the unfortunate customer. One large national airline, I believe, is still in direct violation of US law regarding refunds.

Covid is not over yet. Most of the world is not vaccinated. If they cheated customers once, will they do it again? Like my grandpappy used to say "Once bitten, twice shy."
Agree completely.

Our airlines in Canada were not refunding monies. The only reason they did after months and months is that the Government made their bail out monies contingent on their issuing refunds. Airlines did not like that but they wanted those bail out monies.

Cruise lines have been waiting until after final payment to cancel cruises that they knew had no hope of leaving the dock. They have been playing reservation churn with customers to retain their monies. Or providing time limited Future Cruise Credit incentives.....but at the same time increasing prices to take the value of those incentives into their respective pricing models. Some people out there still believe in 'free lunches'.

Our approach is very simple. Not paying for anything up front while covid is very much in play. If we do go to Greece in October we will not be booking our air until a week prior to departure. We may or may not end up paying a premium for doing this but it is better than having an airline hold a bunch of our money.
brett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2021, 11:20 AM   #14

My in-laws traveled extensively, and my MIL still does solo, and they love OAT. From what I hear they do require a lot of walking and some hiking, but it's supposed to be suitable for very active, fit seniors, no extreme sports or arduous multi-hour hikes. We plan to give them a try once we're ready for international travel again, it sounds like a good balance of activity, and like they try to give you the locals' feel for a place, not just the rich tourist view.
Old 07-24-2021, 01:49 PM   #15
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElizabethT View Post
We have done nine Gate 1trips.

The value they provide is why we keep returning. We feel we get so much in return for the price we pay compared to other tour groups we’ve done.

The trips are very active, but some items are optional, meaning more free time if you don’t care too purchase the extra-fee optional excursions.

Age group is not older as some previously supposed.. These trips are very on the go active, and the average age we’ve experienced is pretty evenly spread between mid 40’s to mid to late 60’s.

Big fans.
Thanks for sharing your experience. I'll continue to monitor the weekly "Deal" from Gate 1 and look forward to giving them a try.
OldConch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2021, 09:50 AM   #16

We have done a few organized tours including one from Gate 1. The tour was enjoyable and very similar to other tours we have taken. I enjoy independent travel but tours have their advantages also. The age group was similar to other tours…a mix but quite a few fifties, sixties, and early seventies. One tour group that appeared to skew older to me was Gold Circle. Now I haven’t taken one of their tours, just an observation.
FIYes is offline   Reply With Quote