Germany 2021 and back!

target2019

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
As discussed in the travel thread (https://www.early-retirement.org/forums/f46/travel-hopes-2021-a-105268-21.html#post2635286) we travelled to Germany for 20 days, and it went something like this:
  • Philadelphia (PHL) to Frankfurt (FRA) 3,950 miles
  • Frankfurt am Main Mitte-Nord (2 nights)
  • Burg Alt-Eberstein, Baden-Baden (2 nights) 158 km
  • Bietigheim, Rastatt
  • Altensteig, Calw 77 km x 2
  • Baden-Baden, 7 km
  • Seewald
  • Rottweil, 114 km
  • Wallhausen (3 nights, Konstanz) 85 km
  • Litzelstetten (Mainau)
  • Konstanz
  • Fähranleger (Ferry) Konstanz to Meerburg
  • Lindau
  • Füssen (3 nights) 133 km
  • Munich (2 nights) 127 km
  • Berlin (3 nights) (ICE train, 5 hours, 504 km)
  • Frankfurt (2 nights) (ICE train, 4 hours, 424 km)
  • Frankfurt (FRA) to Philadelphia (PHL) 3,950 miles
It was a great time and we were quite busy by foot, auto, train and plane. The surprise place was Füssen, and we agreed it was a favorite -- Ludwig I and Ludwig II castles, Benedictine monastery (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/St._Mang's_Abbey,_Füssen) and a superior hotel made for a nice vacation within a vacation. I found a few hundred lutes, guitars and violins in the Abbey/Museum. The workbench room was incredible.

Attachments

• 20211013.jpg
    20211013.jpg
    155.8 KB · Views: 44
Very nice. Agree about the workroom!

More than 30 years ago, when I lived in Philadelphia, I was a beginning 'cello student of someone who usually only taught master classes (I was persistent in getting her to agree to teach me). She was an excellent teacher and was in several prominent orchestras.

I bought a used 'cello (with an amazing bow) and she took me to "her guy" in Germantown or Mt. Airy, I think, to have it looked over for any repairs. Turns out he was the main guy for the Philadelphia Orchestra's string section. While I was there with her the first violinist from the Orchestra stopped by and I was introduced.

As someone who was struggling to learn "Crunchy Cookies" and master the scales, I was deeply embarrassed to be there in such company. I wanted to slide under the door and just disappear!

But I remember quite vividly two things: the fu manchu moustache of the shop owner and his amazing workroom with hundreds of jars of glues and varnishes and hanging violins. It was another world!

-BB

Great looking itinerary! I am going to save as we want to do a tour of Germany soon.

Great looking trip! I grew up not too far from there and our ONLY family trips were a once-a-year day-trip to Mainau Island - very beautiful even back then but as kids we could only get so exited about visiting fancy gardens....;)
One time, on a school day-trip, we took the Meersburg ferry - that was a HUGE deal for us, coming from a landlocked country... In fact, I recall Meersburg itself being a very pretty town.

As discussed in the travel thread (https://www.early-retirement.org/forums/f46/travel-hopes-2021-a-105268-21.html#post2635286) we travelled to Germany for 20 days, and it went something like this:
  • Philadelphia (PHL) to Frankfurt (FRA) 3,950 miles
  • Frankfurt am Main Mitte-Nord (2 nights)
  • Burg Alt-Eberstein, Baden-Baden (2 nights) 158 km
  • Bietigheim, Rastatt
  • Altensteig, Calw 77 km x 2
  • Baden-Baden, 7 km
  • Seewald
  • Rottweil, 114 km
  • Wallhausen (3 nights, Konstanz) 85 km
  • Litzelstetten (Mainau)
  • Konstanz
  • Fähranleger (Ferry) Konstanz to Meerburg
  • Lindau
  • Füssen (3 nights) 133 km
  • Munich (2 nights) 127 km
  • Berlin (3 nights) (ICE train, 5 hours, 504 km)
  • Frankfurt (2 nights) (ICE train, 4 hours, 424 km)
  • Frankfurt (FRA) to Philadelphia (PHL) 3,950 miles
It was a great time and we were quite busy by foot, auto, train and plane. The surprise place was Füssen, and we agreed it was a favorite -- Ludwig I and Ludwig II castles, Benedictine monastery (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/St._Mang's_Abbey,_Füssen) and a superior hotel made for a nice vacation within a vacation. I found a few hundred lutes, guitars and violins in the Abbey/Museum. The workbench room was incredible.

Very nice. I currently live in Deutschland. I like Hohenschwangau better than Neuschwanstein (Disney like castle). Did you walk the gorge behind the castle? That is cool.

The monastery is nice but so is the famous church nearby considered a Baroque masterpiece....all those pink, blue and gold angels and curly-cues- very ornate.

Have not been to Mainau yet...have biked around Lake Constanz...that was fun. That area is near German Swiss border and the Alps start building near there-gorgeous area .

Heads up- thread hijack below:

I've been going to more obscure places-just got back from Ravenna-the mosaics are awe inspiring and pictures don't give you the visual impact, especially in the mausoleum. The tiles glitter-literally glitter....amazing.

Before that I did a two week Greek Island hopping tour. I usually 'roll my own' trip logistics but with the lingering COVID Uber logistics, it was great to not have to deal with that. I showed up at the designated time for the ferry or bus or taxi; all paperwork was filled out and I merely signed it; all hotels were booked; private transportation to hotels was provided, etc. And, the itinerary was loose, ie, they usually had a hike or some other some such available to do but you were not compelled to go.

I will be going to the UK in Nov to hike, see a friend and go to a concert. Very excited about that. Will be hiking in Sussex and have also found a 'Roman London' day hike to do. Concert is in Brighton.

After that are two ski trips in Austria, then Christmas in FL.

Will have to move back to USA soon, so am glad travel has eased up.

PM if you want any tips/info about travel here in Europe.

How was the travel experience inside Germany? Was the buses and trains crowded? Were there any restrictions in moving around?

How was the travel experience inside Germany? Was the buses and trains crowded? Were there any restrictions in moving around?

I live in Germany - I think COVID is over for travel. I drove back from Frankfurt airport yesterday (airplane was full both ways (Friday to Bologna and Sunday back to Frankfurt)) and it was packed. I saw 7 contrails from airplanes in the sky. I rode a train to the airport on my way to Greece in September - it was late (*VERY ODD*) and we were sprawled all over the car with our luggage (no seats). Highways are packed with drivers (staus are back).

Busses and trains in Italy were packed yesterday; train was bearable (had seat). Train to the airport in Bologna (Marconi Express) only allowed 20 people per car and there were waits of 15 minutes at 0830 am on a Sunday!

So, if you have your vaccine pass, it is fine (masks required on all transport and public areas inside - outside no masks required).

Oh and the costs reflect the increased demand as well.....the cheap days are over...

I went to a mountain town in France the weekend before last (drove). There was a market day and it was packed - had to park pretty far away to go to the store I wanted.

But, all are happy to see tourists and when the Americans come back they will be fairly nice...they like the moolah.

Very nice. Agree about the workroom!

More than 30 years ago, when I lived in Philadelphia, I was a beginning 'cello student of someone who usually only taught master classes (I was persistent in getting her to agree to teach me). She was an excellent teacher and was in several prominent orchestras.

I bought a used 'cello (with an amazing bow) and she took me to "her guy" in Germantown or Mt. Airy, I think, to have it looked over for any repairs. Turns out he was the main guy for the Philadelphia Orchestra's string section. While I was there with her the first violinist from the Orchestra stopped by and I was introduced.

As someone who was struggling to learn "Crunchy Cookies" and master the scales, I was deeply embarrassed to be there in such company. I wanted to slide under the door and just disappear!

But I remember quite vividly two things: the fu manchu moustache of the shop owner and his amazing workroom with hundreds of jars of glues and varnishes and hanging violins. It was another world!

-BB
I've always been interested in the construction methods used by guitar builders. In preparing for this trip I realized how extensive the influence of German immigrants to the U.S. has been on my family. For one example, my father bought a used Martin guitar (company founder C.F. Martin was a German immigrant) from the Zapf music store on 5th street in Philadelphia. That entire area was predominantly German immigrants and of course the store was started by one. The legacy Facebook page for the store is pretty interesting. There's a video of someone playing the only known Stradivarius guitar!

Attachments

• Clipboard02.jpg
    Clipboard02.jpg
    126.4 KB · Views: 11
Great looking itinerary! I am going to save as we want to do a tour of Germany soon.
This was our 2nd trip, the other being in the 90's with our children. We're fortunate to have friends and family in Germany.

Frankfurt is the best landing place for us. There's a direct flight.

This is a view from Untermainbrücke - Frankfurt am Main. Not sure what building I've captured in the background.

Attachments

• Clipboard03.jpg
    Clipboard03.jpg
    135.8 KB · Views: 12
Very nice. I currently live in Deutschland. I like Hohenschwangau better than Neuschwanstein (Disney like castle). Did you walk the gorge behind the castle? That is cool.

The monastery is nice but so is the famous church nearby considered a Baroque masterpiece....all those pink, blue and gold angels and curly-cues- very ornate.

Have not been to Mainau yet...have biked around Lake Constanz...that was fun. That area is near German Swiss border and the Alps start building near there-gorgeous area .

Heads up- thread hijack below:

I've been going to more obscure places-just got back from Ravenna-the mosaics are awe inspiring and pictures don't give you the visual impact, especially in the mausoleum. The tiles glitter-literally glitter....amazing.

Before that I did a two week Greek Island hopping tour. I usually 'roll my own' trip logistics but with the lingering COVID Uber logistics, it was great to not have to deal with that. I showed up at the designated time for the ferry or bus or taxi; all paperwork was filled out and I merely signed it; all hotels were booked; private transportation to hotels was provided, etc. And, the itinerary was loose, ie, they usually had a hike or some other some such available to do but you were not compelled to go.

I will be going to the UK in Nov to hike, see a friend and go to a concert. Very excited about that. Will be hiking in Sussex and have also found a 'Roman London' day hike to do. Concert is in Brighton.

After that are two ski trips in Austria, then Christmas in FL.

Will have to move back to USA soon, so am glad travel has eased up.

PM if you want any tips/info about travel here in Europe.
We didn't walk the bridge, but captured it from a parapet outside the castle. I think I recall that it was closed due to the rain.

Clipboard05.jpg

Yes, we walked in a light rain from the ticket center to Hohenschwangau. It was maybe 800 meters up a paved street. Sounds close, but a challenge nonetheless.

The walk to Neuschwanstein from there is 2.2 km, much more difficult. We stopped for kaffee and strudel, then continued up the steep hill. There were carriage rides if you needed transport. It rained lightly on that trek too.

On the previous day we were in the Basilika St. Mang. Some history on the saint is here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magnus_of_Füssen

Attachments

• Clipboard06.jpg
    Clipboard06.jpg
    153.9 KB · Views: 12
Before leaving it was necessary to upload documents and information to a German federal site. That relieved some pressure going through customs after departing the plance. You of course need a negative test before getting on the plane, and going further. That was stressful for me, and I made sure to isolate as much as possible before the test. I'm dilligent about masking up and staying away from people as much as possible. In the U.S the test is free, but I did see some last-minute alternatives that were costly.

We had an auto all the way to Munich, and there were no restrictions. We did get our picture taken in a speed trap, much to the dismay of our driver. In our car we had phone attached to display, but there were times we lost internet on the roads in the south. So the Wayze app was out, and we weren't aware of the trap.

We rode one bus for a few minutes, and that was returning to Fuessen from the castles.

We rode ICE trains between the major cities, and were in smaller compartments of six. We had other riders, but it was never full.

In all situations you wear a mask, and remember to always have a spare. In general, follow the rules in Germany. At each restaurant and attraction we needed to show our vaccination card, or an image. When you enter they ask you to scan their QR code into the Luca app for contact tracing. One member of our party always did that.

Lufthansa filghts were half-full, but I'm sure travel is ramping up and that won't last. We hit a sweet spot in time, when many are still reluctant to travel. That made for a better travel experience for us.

You also need a test before getting on a return flight. That was 69 Euros for one test, if you can believe it. It has to be through a certain company, so some disappointment there.

Back
Top Bottom