Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Getting a visa for Saudi Arabia
Old 03-01-2014, 01:04 PM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Getting a visa for Saudi Arabia

Considering visiting this country? Here is one person's take on getting a visa.

Quote:
SAUDI ARABIA
At least two weeks in advance, if you can get one at all…
Fee: from $500 for a hajj (religious tourism) visa

Why Go: The holy Muslim cities of Mecca, to which all able Muslims must undertake a pilgrimage, and Medina are the country's big tourist calling cards. There are other sights of interest, too, including the ancient elaborately carved tombs of Madain Saleh, Saudi Arabia's version of Petra (as in Jordan, the temples at Madain Saleh were carved by the Nabataeans).

Why It's Complicated: But good luck going to see these amazing sites—Saudi Arabia discourages visits by U.S. citizens and is not currently issuing standard tourist visas. For those lucky enough to get approved, the rules are strict: female travelers under the age of 30 must travel with their husband or brother, or with a group—it is only OK for men and women to travel together if they can prove they are married or are part of a larger group.

What to Do: The embassy will occasionally make an exception for religious tourism, but you must apply through a licensed U.S. travel agency representing the consulate, and the prices are high (from $500 to $600 per visa if you're approved). If you are visiting as a business traveler, you need to have an invitation from a local company you are doing business with and visas can take months to process. Women visitors traveling alone need to be met by sponsors at the airport or may face delays in entering the country, according to the U.S. State Department. And overstaying your welcome is also not looked upon kindly—go beyond the dates on your visa, and you may face a fine of at least $2,667 and incarceration.

The worst decisions are usually made in times of anger and impatience.
Chuckanut is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-01-2014, 01:20 PM   #2
Full time employment: Posting here.

There are sooooooo many great things/places to see......why someone would "need" to check this one off is silly (in my opinion). Some people just think that they need to see these places..... After spending almost 30 years out of the US I always had people I worked with who HAD to go to Paris, Berlin, etc etc etc. When I asked them if they had been to the really beautiful place nearby (tons of places) they would look confused and ask why. These people needed to check off the places they could talk about to other people.
F4mandolin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2014, 01:44 PM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by F4mandolin View Post
Some people just think that they need to see these places..... After spending almost 30 years out of the US I always had people I worked with who HAD to go to Paris, Berlin, etc etc etc. When I asked them if they had been to the really beautiful place nearby (tons of places) they would look confused and ask why. These people needed to check off the places they could talk about to other people.

I'm not sure why people would not want to see Paris or Berlin. I have seen both and they are interesting to say the least. Berlin, in particular, was a hoot and real treat. That said, I agree that there are many beautiful places in the world besides the BIG tourist destinations. I have seen some parts of France, Italy and England, that even in the middle of tourist season are relatively calm, uncrowded and very pleasant. Warning: don't expect the locals to speak much English in these areas. But, that is part of the fun of the visit and is certainly part of the learning experience.

The worst decisions are usually made in times of anger and impatience.
Chuckanut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2014, 02:45 PM   #4
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckanut View Post
I'm not sure why people would not want to see Paris or Berlin. I have seen both and they are interesting to say the least. Berlin, in particular, was a hoot and real treat.
Yep, been there myself....I usually tied my visits in with doing something else. In my case running races when I was younger. I was in Berlin just after the wall came down....definitely interesting. My comments were mainly aimed at people who just "have" to go to Saudi and other places just because they haven't "been" there yet. Personally....I don't care for cities at all. WAY too many people/noise/aggravation for me. I am not a museum type person.....I spent about 14 years in England and never have seen the Tower of London for instance.
F4mandolin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2014, 08:28 PM   #5
Recycles dryer sheets

Been working in Saudi 18 years now and haven't gone to see a single "touristy" thing here as it just isn't my idea of fun etc., also it should be noted that non-muslims cannot visit the sites in Mecca or Medina.
I wouldn't fault someone who feels the need to "just have to go to" anyplace that they feel the need to go to however, why would I care what other people do with their free time and resources?
Have gone to several ruins in Mexico, in conjunction with other fun activities (ruins were not the primary reason for the visit), and explored several ruins in Cambodia, including Angkor Wat which I thought was quite interesting and was the primary purpose for being there, as well as Iceland and many other countries.
To be fair however I am not the best "tourist" and my primary idea of a vacation includes food, drink and the beach!
Lucantes is offline   Reply With Quote