Global Entry Changes

Global Entry Jfk

I have travelled extensively during the past few months.

Jfk experience:

There is no line specifically for tsa pre check or global entry when departing. Both groups are processed in one line so when you go through security you have tsa agents telling everyone to take off their shoes and take out your computers....this slows down the line since the global entry people have to stop and say they dont have to do either since they have g.entry. Very, very inefficient.

Arriving at Jfk is a big joke. Plenty of g. entry custom machines and NONE of them work. One that did work did NOT recognize I had g. entry even though I it was processed and confirmed before I flew.

JFK g. entry is one big Embarassment.

Actually, some people do. It seems to be random.

I had an interview for renewal. Luckily, the office is only a few miles from me.

I asked the interviewer why I needed the interview and he said it was probably because I had been to Morocco recently. So it may have something to do with where you have traveled.

I had an interview for renewal. Luckily, the office is only a few miles from me.

I asked the interviewer why I needed the interview and he said it was probably because I had been to Morocco recently. So it may have something to do with where you have traveled.
DH had not traveled anywhere I hadn’t been, yet he had to interview again, and I did not.

I have travelled extensively during the past few months.

JFK g. entry is one big Embarassment.

Apparently, not to JFK or they would fix it. No system is better than its maintenance people.

One final post for me on this thread.

I had posted that we applied in July 22 and I received my interview and final approval in November 22 (if I remember the date correctly). I applied for DW same day, 10 minutes after my application but she had heard nothing for 8 months. Alas we did our travel early Mar 23 with my approval and no word for DW. Last week (about 23 Mar 2023) while we were out of the country on our travel she received her email for conditional approval that she needed to schedule her interview. So on our return 25 Mar at SFO she did the interview at the customs area in about 10 minutes. She is now approved and should get the card later this week.

I guess you could say all well that ends well. Our customs was smooth (although we were very early in the day so that may have made it easier) so my bitterness is a bit better now that the process is completed for both of us. Still have to wonder why it took couple months for me and 8 for her. No reason she couldn't have been processed much earlier but like I said it is done. I should be happy and not waste cycles being bitter about something in the past.

Sorry to resurrect an old thread, but I have a question if you see this. I currently have a pending Global Entry application. I leave for 3 weeks in Europe tomorrow and I'm hoping they detect me and send me an email to do the interview upon my return to JFK Airport. Was your wife given special treatment to get her appointment upon arrival? Or did she just get lucky that there was an available slot shortly after your arrival on your day of arrival. I wonder if they can process me upon arrival if they have no available appointments using their online website. I hope my question makes sense.

Interview on arrival is a known "thing". Just make sure you don't exit. Ask a TSA officer about an interview. You should be fine

*has your application been approved? Ready for interview? I think that part has to be in place first. Or your application still being reviewed?

Interview on arrival is a known "thing". Just make sure you don't exit. Ask a TSA officer about an interview. You should be fine

*has your application been approved? Ready for interview? I think that part has to be in place first. Or your application still being reviewed?

My application is still pending. However, I believe the previous poster indicated that the wife’s was as well when she left the country. So I’m hoping.

My application is still pending. However, I believe the previous poster indicated that the wife’s was as well when she left the country. So I’m hoping.

I'd give it a shot. IIRC I had to pass the initial screen before scheduling an interview. Perhaps you will get a combined screen & interview!

Sorry to resurrect an old thread, but I have a question if you see this. I currently have a pending Global Entry application. I leave for 3 weeks in Europe tomorrow and I'm hoping they detect me and send me an email to do the interview upon my return to JFK Airport. Was your wife given special treatment to get her appointment upon arrival? Or did she just get lucky that there was an available slot shortly after your arrival on your day of arrival. I wonder if they can process me upon arrival if they have no available appointments using their online website. I hope my question makes sense.

We just returned from an overseas trip. We had applied for GE back in November 2022 and our status was still pending when we left for this trip in late Feb.

Our return flight was just a few days ago and we got an email about 48 hours before saying to log in because our status had changed. We were conditionally approved and able to go through the Enroll on Arrival process and both fully approved just one day later.

So they must be monitoring manifests for enrollees who are pending. So make sure you have a way to login and check your status a couple days before your return flight (I downloaded the app and made sure to bring login info etc). Also double check the Enroll on Arrival FAQs and make sure you go through the right CBP line for it on the way back. Good luck!

We just returned from an overseas trip. We had applied for GE back in November 2022 and our status was still pending when we left for this trip in late Feb.

Our return flight was just a few days ago and we got an email about 48 hours before saying to log in because our status had changed. We were conditionally approved and able to go through the Enroll on Arrival process and both fully approved just one day later.

So they must be monitoring manifests for enrollees who are pending. So make sure you have a way to login and check your status a couple days before your return flight (I downloaded the app and made sure to bring login info etc). Also double check the Enroll on Arrival FAQs and make sure you go through the right CBP line for it on the way back. Good luck!

Unfortunately, I also just returned to the US after a 3-week trip to Europe and they did not reach out to me as they did to you. I had applied in March or so, and my application is still pending. I checked it before I left Europe for the return trip just in case I had missed the email, but it is pending. And after my return home it still says pending. Oh well. I guess it's not a guarantee that they will do that detection.

I had applied in March or so, and my application is still pending.

Sorry to hear that. Hopefully your wait for approval will be shorter than ours was; we waited 7 months and I was not optimistic about being approved before our return flight, it was definitely an unexpected surprise.

I know you’ve already returned but this might help other travelers—on previous trips we used the Mobile Passport Control app before landing back in the US. It did help get us through the CBP lines faster, but didn’t have the TSA pre-check benefits that Global Entry has.

Sorry to hear that. Hopefully your wait for approval will be shorter than ours was; we waited 7 months and I was not optimistic about being approved before our return flight, it was definitely an unexpected surprise.

I know you’ve already returned but this might help other travelers—on previous trips we used the Mobile Passport Control app before landing back in the US. It did help get us through the CBP lines faster, but didn’t have the TSA pre-check benefits that Global Entry has.

My next international trip is in September. So maybe I'll either have it done by then or maybe at least they will notify me so I can do the interview upon return from the trip.

Funny you mention the Mobile Passport Control app. I was going to use that upon my return at JFK. I was one of the first off my plane and one of the first to enter the Passport Control hall. It was virtually empty. The agents weren't even in their cubicles, they were off to the side chit-chatting because there was no one to process. Then my flight's passengers flooded into it. I was the very first person in the MPC line as the agents returned to their cubicles. Then about 30 Global Entry people got in their line. They only had one agent processing the Global Entry AND the MPC people. And, of course, the Global Entry people were all being given higher priority, even though I lined up before they did. Meanwhile, they had many agents processing the people with no special passport advantages. So they were being processed quickly, and faster than me, for sure. So I finally asked the person controlling the line if I could just go down to a regular line. There was an agent not processing anyone at that time. So I skipped using my MPC and just went thru a regular line. I still got thru faster than a few of the Global Entry people.

It would have been very different if, upon arrival, the hall was filled. But with an empty entry hall, it was faster just to get in the regular line.

I never win!

My next international trip is in September. So maybe I'll either have it done by then or maybe at least they will notify me so I can do the interview upon return from the trip.

Meanwhile, they had many agents processing the people with no special passport advantages.
Actually, I think this is a JFK 'thing.' I have never found them to be a very efficient airport.

I have no problems using MPC at Sea-Tac and am generally out the door while the Global Passport line is moving along.

- Rita

I am trying to find an appointment soon just out of an abundance of caution, as I don't currently have any travel planned, but I hope to travel internationally a lot more once I retire....which I hope will be in 2024!

I just started using the free version of TTPTracker, and I've already gotten an alert of an open slot near me! It was downtown at 5pm on a Friday, so I let it go, but I'm going to try keeping a tab open and see how many appointments open up, and when and where, over the next week or two to see if I can find the ideal time (mid-day, so going to and from the appt. is easier), but I might get less picky after that.

It's really best if you are sitting inside much of the day and can keep a computer nearby to alert you, or you can pay for text alerts ($29/month).

Last edited:
Just returned from Europe through Chicago. While on the plane, everyone was given a Customs form to fill out. Why? The GE kiosks were down. When I landed, I had the form, but I use Mobile Passport. Turns out they had extra lines to handle the GE users, but no one on shift yet (9:30 AM) to handle Mobile Passport.

Actually the regular lines were quite fast given they added staff to handle the influx.

Rita

I have filled for renewing my global entry probably 6 months ago, it is still pending. It actually expired two weeks ago. I don't know what is going on.

I have filled for renewing my global entry probably 6 months ago, it is still pending. It actually expired two weeks ago. I don't know what is going on.

Same here. I applied the first week of January and mine expired on my July 1 birthday. DGF applied 20 minutes before me and was approved within a day with no interview required (July 2 birthday). We have at trip to the UK scheduled for September so it should be interesting to see how that goes. I know we are supposed to be automatically extended but it is a government agency after all. This from a 10 year Air Force vet accustomed to using the VA for health care.

Just returned from Europe through Chicago. While on the plane, everyone was given a Customs form to fill out. Why? The GE kiosks were down. When I landed, I had the form, but I use Mobile Passport. Turns out they had extra lines to handle the GE users, but no one on shift yet (9:30 AM) to handle Mobile Passport.
You're using Mobile Passport because you don't have a Global Entry permit, correct?
I've used Mobile Passport before but Global Entry is so much better on my opinion. My guess is not many people are using Mobile Passport these days.

You're using Mobile Passport because you don't have a Global Entry permit, correct?
I've used Mobile Passport before but Global Entry is so much better on my opinion. My guess is not many people are using Mobile Passport these days.
Yes I use MP exclusively. GE is heavily promoted and MP not so much. Customs and Border Patrol shot themselves in the foot with MP app. It was initially developed by a vendor for them and was free, including retaining passport details and biometrics. Then the vendor was given free control over the app and there was an annual fee to retain biometrics. Someone must have complained to their Congressional rep because it is now a free app - biometrics (a photo) must be taken each time you use it.

I agree you get more with GE - as long as CBP is staffed adequately to handle the volume of travellers and the kiosks work. When the lines for GE are 10 deep at every kiosk, Mobile Passport lets you sail through customs because everything you enter at the kiosk has been entered on the app and your photo has been taken, and it has been transmitted.

I agree you get more with GE - as long as CBP is staffed adequately to handle the volume of travellers and the kiosks work. When the lines for GE are 10 deep at every kiosk, Mobile Passport lets you sail through customs because everything you enter at the kiosk has been entered on the app and your photo has been taken, and it has been transmitted.

You don't enter anything at a GE kiosk any more. You walk up, it takes your picture and you walk past the agent as he/she calls out your name.

My problem at NY JFK in May was that I was using Mobile Passport. I was the first person to arrive in that line at the time. At the same time, about 25 Global Entry passengers arrived in their line. There was only one agent working both lines and he was processing all the GE passengers, totally ignoring the 10 or so Mobile Passport people who were in line. There were multiple agents working the "regular" passport lines. After about 10 minutes of waiting with no end in site, I finally flagged down the woman who was coordinating the lines and asked if I could be sent down to a "regular" passport line since I had passport in hand. I was thru in just a jiffy, while many GE and GP people were still in their line. Such a mess. My GE application has been pending review for several months now.

I had an interesting experience recently at a GE kiosk. Walked up to a group of about 10 kiosks, all empty since I was apparently the only one to have GE among those I was with. Pressed the screen to start the process, the silhouette came up, placed my face in camera view as required, and hit the "Take picture" button. Screen went blank, then showed a blue box with "Loading Microsoft Teams ..."

Waited another minute or two, and still nothing else appeared, so I went to a different kiosk and everything worked normally. Perhaps it was an omen that several of the kiosks were marked "Out of order" or maybe it was just my ugly face that crashed the system. :D

In May coming into Newark from Zurich, MP on my phone ready except for the selfie. Track star Ms G wouldn't slow down for the photo op. Well GE and MP had lines, we walked right up showed our passports had our photo taken. Collected our luggage and just walked right out of the terminal. Kinda like customs had closed for the day.

I did hear the backlog with GE applications is not unique: the same happens with US passport applicants. Just too many people are traveling now and apparently processing staff got reduced during the Covid time.

My Global Entry was good until June 2024. It said I could renew as early as June 2023 and it would add 5 years to the 2024 date

I applied Tuesday night and it did discuss an interview, but this morning I received notice my renewal was approved and good until 2029. That was easy

Back
Top Bottom