Global Entry Changes

Same here. I applied the first week of January and mine expired on my July 1 birthday. DGF applied 20 minutes before me and was approved within a day with no interview required (July 2 birthday).

My husband applied for renewal in August 22 and was finally notified in July that he was approved. I applied last October and was notified last week that I needed an interview. I had several options regarding time slots for this week via zoom. The entire interview was a confirmation of the information I provided on the form, lasting about 5-7 minutes. I was informed that I was approved and will be reviewing my new card soon.

I’m not sure why my husband was approved without an interview and I wasn’t, given that we had the same travel in the past 5 years.

The expiration date is extended while you are awaiting approval. We traveled internationally twice since our initial expiration without any difficulty.

My husband applied for renewal in August 22 and was finally notified in July that he was approved. I applied last October and was notified last week that I needed an interview. I had several options regarding time slots for this week via zoom. The entire interview was a confirmation of the information I provided on the form, lasting about 5-7 minutes. I was informed that I was approved and will be reviewing my new card soon.

I’m not sure why my husband was approved without an interview and I wasn’t, given that we had the same travel in the past 5 years.

The expiration date is extended while you are awaiting approval. We traveled internationally twice since our initial expiration without any difficulty.

Guess we put it to the test as we leave tomorrow afternoon for London to kick off a two week trip including a 10 day UK cruise. I still haven't received any further updates on my Global Entry renewal which expired on July 1. I do show active on the Trusted Traveler web site and my boarding passes show TSA Precheck so off we go.

We arrived back from London on Friday evening. I renewed Global Entry about November of last year and still haven't heard back, it's "pending" or something but they let it continue for about 1.5 years.

Returning to the US was a breeze (after waiting 1/2 hour for our luggage). I went up to the machine, didn't even have a chance to "pose" and it went through; went to the next step, asked a couple questions and out we went. It literally took 5 minutes total.

Pity the poor 1000+ people in the long lines that weren't US citizens. GE is so worth it!

Enjoy London, it was close to 90 degrees last week.

Wow! I had no idea. I only applied for the first time last month, so I guess I won’t get my hopes up for international trips I have this fall and winter.

My GE expires at the end of this month. DH and I applied for renewal in April. He got his almost right away but mine still says it’s pending. I know the GE benefit continues for another year or two past expiration but does that include the TSA pre check benefit? That one is almost more important to us than GE.

I know the GE benefit continues for another year or two past expiration but does that include the TSA pre check benefit? That one is almost more important to us than GE.

We continued to get TSA pre check on all domestic and international flights. The validity of the GE is just continued until they finalize the renewal. Just continue to use it normally until the renewal process is complete

Wow! I had no idea. I only applied for the first time last month, so I guess I won’t get my hopes up for international trips I have this fall and winter.
I mean, it depends. I got my provisional approval in less than a day....although I had a clearance until 2020, so I had background check done a few times. And in DC I had 3 locations to choose from that I could drive or take the subway to the interview appointment. I wouldn't get your hopes up, but who knows?

I applied for renewal a couple of months ago, as soon as there was less than a year to go until expiration. With nearly a year for them to get around to it, I'm not concerned, and AFAIK it will be automatically extended even then.

Mine is a little different, as it's through NEXUS rather than GE, and the website says approval will be in "12 to 14 months". I imagine that renewals won't take quite that long, but we'll see.

On board now for the first leg to Boston and TSA Precheck worked for us as usual.

I've thought abut applying for the Global Entry after our last visit to a relative in the Philippines a couple years ago. Finally got serious about it early this week. I spent most of one day filling out the applications for me and spouse. Rec'd an e-mail that we were conditionally approved, just needed the interview. Of course, no interview slots for nearly a year in our area. I was looking for anything within a 4 - 5 hour drive. On Thursday, I continued looking, and by some miracle, an entire afternoon of appointments the next day opened up within 3 1/2 hours from us. We picked a 2:15 and a 2:45 slot. Got there an hour or so early (didn't know if we would find the location easily or traffic in a major city.) The interviewer took us both at the same time (only had to do his spiel once!). We were both finished and out BEFORE the time of our first appt !!!! We received our e-mails last night saying we were approved !! Just need our cards now.

So LESS than a week from start to finish. I feel lucky after all I've read about the process!

by some miracle, an entire afternoon of appointments the next day opened up within 3 1/2 hours from us.

Good work!
That's something many people don't seem to realize. Checking for appointment openings every day usually pays off.

I applied for renewal a couple of months ago, as soon as there was less than a year to go until expiration. With nearly a year for them to get around to it, I'm not concerned, and AFAIK it will be automatically extended even then.
I thought renewal does not require an interview, correct? If so then approval should come faster.

I thought renewal does not require an interview, correct? If so then approval should come faster.

This is incorrect. My renewal required an interview. DH's renewal did not.

We got our original GE at the same time and have traveled to the same places since having it.

Just returned a few days ago from London after our 2 week UK cruise/land vacation. Although my GE was scheduled to expire on July 1 and still waiting after 6 months for my conditional approval, TSA Precheck and Global Entry still worked as advertised for our journey.

I find it interesting that DGF (Army brat born in Germany) and I (Vet with security clearances for many years) applied for renewal the same day and yet she was approved the next day and I'm still waiting 6 months later. Shows I have no idea what the criteria is for quick approval.

Just returned a few days ago from London after our 2 week UK cruise/land vacation. Although my GE was scheduled to expire on July 1 and still waiting after 6 months for my conditional approval, TSA Precheck and Global Entry still worked as advertised for our journey.

I find it interesting that DGF (Army brat born in Germany) and I (Vet with security clearances for many years) applied for renewal the same day and yet she was approved the next day and I'm still waiting 6 months later. Shows I have no idea what the criteria is for quick approval.

Hey, you're dealing with the gummint. They are inscrutable.:cool:

FWIW, I applied to renew by Global Entry last week. Early this week I got a message telling me I was conditionally approved but needed to do an interview. Appointments for the interviews were available in about four months. I checked online interviews and none were available.

On the advice of a fellow traveler, I got up very early one morning and found that there were a dozen on-line Zoom slots available that morning from 4:30 AM to 7:00 AM. That is Pacific Time. They were not available the previous evening. The interviews were with agents in NY. I grabbed the 6:00 AM slot, gathered the necessary paperwork they required me to have, and at 5:50 activated Zoom. 10 minutes later I was approved and done. The actual interview was about 3 minutes.

Whether they added these slots early this morning, or folks on the East Coast decided they needed to cancel their morning appointments, or both, I don't know. It saved me a four month wait.

How do they do the fingerprint on zoom?

Neither DW nor I had to reinterview at renewal for Nexus. I applied for a replacement card and received it a week later.

How do they do the fingerprint on zoom?

If they need your fingerprints you have to come in.

My Zoom meeting was for a renewal. I had already used GE for a decade and I assume I was a known person with no record of abusing my status by trying to smuggle things like candy cigarettes, baking sprinkles made with silver, candy containing alcohol, bush meat, raw milk cheese, black pudding from the UK, and other such dangerous items.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom