Global Entry Changes

I applied for renewal a couple of months ago, as soon as there was less than a year to go until expiration. With nearly a year for them to get around to it, I'm not concerned, and AFAIK it will be automatically extended even then.

Mine is a little different, as it's through NEXUS rather than GE, and the website says approval will be in "12 to 14 months". I imagine that renewals won't take quite that long, but we'll see.

Just got my NEXUS approval notice, no interview required. Almost exactly four months after I applied, so much better than anticipated.

Yeah, just breezed through Global Entry - it was awesome.

They’ve really streamlined things at IAH. Amazing.

I told DH several times that he only had to look at the camera. He didn’t believe me - said he was looking for where to put his passport.

Saw signs saying if you are conditionally approved come in for an interview there.

This evening I finally received my notification that my Global Entry renewal submitted the first week of January last year was finally approved. It was an approval, not a conditional approval meaning I do not need to go in for an interview.

One year and two weeks for a renewal. My previous GE expired last July 1 although I have used GE for international travel in the meantime with no problems.

This evening I finally received my notification that my Global Entry renewal submitted the first week of January last year was finally approved. It was an approval, not a conditional approval meaning I do not need to go in for an interview.

One year and two weeks for a renewal. My previous GE expired last July 1 although I have used GE for international travel in the meantime with no problems.

This news is helpful and timely. DW and I just completed our online renewal today and submitted our $100 fees. Hope we don't have to wait a year!

So worth it: we were in Barcelona with another couple. They didn't have GE, we did. We were home and unpacked when they called us saying that they finally got through immigration and were just now gathering their bags....3 hours!

Last edited:

Oh wow :facepalm:
We submitted ours in July of 2023 and when I check it still just says "Pending Review"...was hoping to have it before May of this year and thought that would be no problem...

Not sure how they do it but I haven't seen the $100 (×2) charge against our credit card. Might they not charge us until final review 6 or 12 months from now?

Not sure how they do it but I haven't seen the $100 (×2) charge against our credit card. Might they not charge us until final review 6 or 12 months from now?

My credit cards showed the $100 fees within minutes of submitting my renewal application online. I know they are now good for one year after expiration so not too concerned about any delay. Hopefully the five year clock only starts when they get approved.

Impossible to get appointments for interviews in Austin; however, apparently no issue at Brownsville or Laredo; might be a road trip in our future.

Marc

So the earliest you can put in for a renewal is one year before expiration? I know I could look it up, but that's no fun. And the latest to renew? If you get continuous coverage, even after your card expires, as long as you're "pending", it seems that you need not stress about getting started early. But I also suspect that delaying won't extend the next expiration (so delaying re-up isn't going to save money).

My credit cards showed the $100 fees within minutes of submitting my renewal application online. I know they are now good for one year after expiration so not too concerned about any delay. Hopefully the five year clock only starts when they get approved.

Impossible to get appointments for interviews in Austin; however, apparently no issue at Brownsville or Laredo; might be a road trip in our future.

Marc

My credit card was charged immediately when I submitted my renewal application last year.

My next renewal date is July 1, 2028 which is 5 years from my previous expiration date, not 5 years from my approval date so the delay in approval did not provide any extension to the 5 year term. The expiration goes by your birth date.

So the earliest you can put in for a renewal is one year before expiration? I know I could look it up, but that's no fun. And the latest to renew? If you get continuous coverage, even after your card expires, as long as you're "pending", it seems that you need not stress about getting started early. But I also suspect that delaying won't extend the next expiration (so delaying re-up isn't going to save money).

It is specifically stated when I log into my Trusted Traveler account that the expiration of my GE is July 1,2028 and the earliest date I can renew is July 2, 2027. I believe I will be renewing very early next time.

Any chance you used a credit card that provides GE as a free benefit? On my card, I see the charge from the government and the refund as a statement credit from Wells Fargo, but yours might work differently.

If not, you should probably login and just verify that your renewals are in pending statust.

Marc

That’s right, if you are willing to come down to the border it’s easy to get an appointment. We are fortunate to live 5 miles away from an international bridge that does global entry interviews.

So............DW signed up for renewal two days ago. Today she was notified that her application has been reviewed and approved and she can use GE immediately. Expires in 2029.

How did this happen.? They charged her $100 to the credit card this morning. Waiting for mine now. Completely puzzled after reading about all the long wait times here.

Last edited:
So............DW signed up for renewal two days ago. Today she was notified that her application has been reviewed and approved and she can use GE immediately. Expires in 2029.

How did this happen.? They charged her $100 to the credit card this morning. Waiting for mine now. Completely puzzled after reading about all the long wait times here.

My SIL had the same experience recently. She applied over the weekend and was approved on Monday. She has a Nexus card, so we assumed that was why the approval was speedy.

Yeah, it kind of stunned me last January as well. DGF and I did our renewal applications at the same time sitting with two laptops at the breakfast room table. She was notified the next day of her approval with no interview needed. She was an army brat born in Germany and got almost immediate approval. Me, not so much. Go figure.

I have never had Global Entry because NEXUS is more useful for me (I like to travel in Canada, and I get to use the same GE kiosks as GE members).

I've always been charged right away for NEXUS (it's half the price of GE), although I still get reimbursed when I use the right credit card. I've also never had to wait very long for renewals.

Within two days we were both approved for renewal; no interview.

Me too! DW was approved yesterday and I just received my approval this morning. Feel badly for those who have been waiting months.

6+ months ago my DW and I renewed out Global entry. DW was approved in 2 weeks and I am still waiting. Can't call them. I emailed them and got the generic response that they are back logged.

I am thinking of either contacting my congressman or just going to the airport where they have an office and see if anyone would talk to me.

Any advice here?

Thanks

6+ months ago my DW and I renewed out Global entry. DW was approved in 2 weeks and I am still waiting. Can't call them. I emailed them and got the generic response that they are back logged.

I am thinking of either contacting my congressman or just going to the airport where they have an office and see if anyone would talk to me.

Any advice here?

Thanks

My advice is to just wait. You're only at 6 months and it can take well over a year. Some people get renewed in days, others take the max amount of time and require another interview. There's no way to know why the two members of a married couple have different experiences, but from other threads here I knot it's very common that one gets an instant renewal while the other takes forever.

Since it's a renewal, your previous GE membership is extended until they get around to it, so there's no reason to try to talk to anyone or call your congress person. I'm not even sure if your Rep would get involved since the renewal delay has no effect on your ability to travel or to use the service you paid for.

It took over 10 months for my husband and me to get renewed. I required a zoom interview, which was completed within a week of informing me that one was required. The interview was less than 7 minutes and she asked the same questions that I entered online.
We continued to use our GE while awaiting.

My daughter applied for renewal on 12/29 in the evening, and was approved 36 hours later. She received her card within a week.

She lives in California and we are in New York, so perhaps regional offices are busier than others ?

It simply sounds like they stepped up their game with recent renewals while still slowly working through the backlog.

Back
Top Bottom