Join Early Retirement Today

Old 11-08-2014, 04:43 PM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I could see the benefit of Global Entry if traveling with carry on luggage only but for most of my international travel (mainly through LAX) it is extremely rare when my checked in luggage is waiting for me on the carousel after going through customs so I don't see it getting me out the door any quicker. Am I missing something?
zinger1457 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-14-2014, 11:47 PM   #22
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Location: Spending the Kids Inheritance and living in Chicago
Driving back from Canada, we were told to get the Nexus card by the U.S. customs, so we "would not have to wait in line with all the criminals".
I did look at the application, but it was about 45 pages long... and they wanted us to bring the car we would cross the border to an interview.
We don't live near the border and will be changing cars, so I passed on it.
Did another trip this year, and drove right up to the booth to get into Canada, no line.
On the way back had a 5 car line up, so it was pretty short 15-20 minutes tops.
Sunset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2014, 10:29 AM   #23
Confused about dryer sheets

I've participated in NEXUS since shortly after it was first introduced and the application has never been anywhere close to 45 pages.

Last check: 4 pages. http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/publicati...bsf658-eng.pdf

Vehicle registration is optional. In the beginning it was mandatory but not anymore. I've crossed over in many different vehicles, including rentals, all unregistered and all without a hitch.

If you don't travel very much or during times where it's busy and the lines get longer, then it may not be of much value.

It's been around for over a decade and still only costs $10 a year so I still see it as a great value. Even if it only saves you 10 or 20 minutes a trip, that can add up quickly if you travel enough.
yupislyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2014, 12:21 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunset View Post
Driving back from Canada, we were told to get the Nexus card by the U.S. customs, so we "would not have to wait in line with all the criminals".
I did look at the application, but it was about 45 pages long... and they wanted us to bring the car we would cross the border to an interview.
That must have been quite some time ago.
When we enrolled in NEXUS, a little less than a year ago, it was simple, quick and easy. Fill out the online application, get an interview appointment, and you're done.

Coming back into the US over the Ambassador Bridge in Detroit this past July, it saved us at least an hour. Bypassing the huge backup and sailing through the NEXUS lane was delightful!
braumeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2014, 12:39 PM   #25
Full time employment: Posting here.

I travel often and Global Entry is an enormous time saver. Enormous. Once, I even got a big 'X' as a previous poster mentioned, I was directed to a special customs officer. He simply had me fill out a regular blue form and after handing it back to him, he okayed it and I proceed through. I highly recommend it.
Richard4444 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2014, 10:03 PM   #26
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by zinger1457 View Post
Is that with any AMEX card or just the Platinum?
Any of the AMEX cards.

Sent from my mobile device so please excuse grammatical errors.
Old 11-17-2014, 08:18 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by zinger1457 View Post
I could see the benefit of Global Entry if traveling with carry on luggage only but for most of my international travel (mainly through LAX) it is extremely rare when my checked in luggage is waiting for me on the carousel after going through customs so I don't see it getting me out the door any quicker. Am I missing something?
For LAX, at least, I can certainly support this. I fly into and out of LAX from/to Asia every year. This year, I had to wait a long time in the immigration line as some folks in my line were *really* getting scrutinized (at one point the line did not advance by a single person for 15 minutes as a couple and a single were getting reamed by two different officers! One was led into one of those white rooms). I think the total wait in line might have been 35 minutes, which might be the longest I ever waited coming into the USA. The bags had not even started coming and did not start for awhile after that. The exact same thing the year before (although shorter immigration line). I don't remember before that except that the bags take a long time on international flights there.
kramer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2014, 08:52 AM   #28
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kramer View Post
For LAX, at least, I can certainly support this. I fly into and out of LAX from/to Asia every year....
I try to use SFO as my gateway to that region. This is one of several reasons.

On most occasions when I have returned, my checked luggage is already waiting on me even when I fly through the Global Entry lines. Oddly, at least to me, this is much faster than they are able to get domestic checked bags to baggage claim.
CoolChange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2014, 10:22 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyBoy5 View Post
Any of the AMEX cards.
I did look into it and was told by Amex support that the fee reimbursement only applies to specific Amex cards, and mine was not one of them. This is what the Amex web site states:

"The application fee credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre is available to American Express Gold Corporate Card Members, Consumer Platinum CardŽ Members, Corporate Platinum Card Members, and Business Platinum Card Members."
zinger1457 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2014, 10:33 AM   #30
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by fh2000 View Post
Hmmm. OP here.

Since I am a dual citizen, maybe I should just wait in line like everyone else. Not sure what sort of issues would pop up.

In LAX, there is already improvement. No long lines to check entry registration and passport. Just one line on Exit.
We are both dual citizens and never had a problem. We came into LAX a few days from Australia and there were many machines with no one using them. Easy peasy, no problems.