Join Early Retirement Today

global entry.org
Old 11-04-2014, 01:27 PM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

global entry.org

Came back thru LAX custom yesterday with DW. The new quick entry method is refreshing. You entered few questions from the computer and took a photo. Then answered few questions with the custom officer. No more long waiting lines.

We had just one carry-on, so we proceeded with Exit. There were 4 long lines with other foreign visitors, but relatively quick. The officer there asked a few same questions, and we were on our way.

I saw an empty line for global entry approved visitors, so I am wondering if it makes sense to register. What would the qualifications be?
fh2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-04-2014, 03:25 PM   #2

The advantage is that you can simply go to a kiosk, enter a few items, and be on your way. No human interaction required.

As for Global Entry, the information is here:
https://goes-app.cbp.dhs.gov/main/goes

But if you ever travel to Canada, or live or travel within reach of the border, I think NEXUS is a better deal than Global Entry. Half the cost, and all the same privileges, plus the same privileges traveling to/from Canada.
NEXUS | U.S. Customs and Border Protection
braumeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2014, 06:13 PM   #3
Recycles dryer sheets

We got it as well, have not used it yet. We were in a very long line in Logan Boston for 60 min returning from Rome and that sealed the deal for us.
BellBarbara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2014, 06:18 PM   #4
Full time employment: Posting here.

Have global entry and have used it a few times. It helped me make a tight connection when one of my flights was late.

I travel quite a bit so I love anything that makes my travels easier and this really does. If I was a leisure traveler (especially if retired) I probably wouldn't pay for it.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum
Old 11-07-2014, 06:20 PM   #5

The process is simple. You just need to apply (you can do it online). You then need to visit a customs office for an in-person interview. No qualifications beyond that assuming you don't have any skeletons in your closet.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum
Old 11-07-2014, 07:17 PM   #6

After a hellish connection last month at Heathrow, I am convinced the money spent is well worth it. We had a 2 hr connection from inbound Barcelona flight with BA to connect another BA flight to Seattle. Barely made it--the security process was inane and populated by the inept and incompetent.
After speaking with our travel advisor, she suggested the Global Entry process and light bulb went off--there were clear, almost no wait Fast Track lanes.
Nwsteve
nwsteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2014, 08:32 PM   #7

Well worth the money, even for vacation travelers. We dive outside the US once or twice a year and do not live in a hub city. Got into Global Entry in May 2012, and I believe that every single trip since then, my wife and I have looked at each other and said that it paid for itself just on this trip. (Plus, it carries TSA Pre-Check with it--although that program is becoming increasingly less valuable at our airport)

Once we retire and are doing a lot more traveling, I anticipate that it will be even more attractive.

EDIT___{BTW, we came through LAX on 7.3.14 and there was no comparison between our blitz through customs/immigration and the line faced by other US citizens. Maybe it has changed since then?}
2017ish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2014, 08:51 PM   #8
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Best deal ever and if you use an AMEX car to pay the fee, they will reimburse you for the cost.

Sent from my mobile device so please excuse grammatical errors.
Old 11-07-2014, 09:45 PM   #9

I got my Global Entry a few months ago. The first time I used it was returning from Calgary. At the Calgary airport, you actually clear US Customs in Calgary. Well, I entered the Global Entry line bypassing a much longer line for the regular folks. At this point, I'm thinking everything is going very well and was really glad I got the Global Entry. I went to the kiosk and scanned my passport and Global Entry card. The kiosk then told me that it was processing my info and showed a little spinning clock on the display. Minutes passed and people who were behind me in line were passing me up one after another. Finally, after about five or six minutes, the kiosk spits out a receipt with my info on it with a huge "X" on it. I think "this is not good". I take the receipt to the customs agent just ahead of me and he looks at it and then looks at me for what seems to be a long time. Then he asks "has his ever happened before?" I say no. He says "ok, come with me". So, I'm following him and then I ask if there's a problem. He says "it's not good". At first, I think he's just kidding with me, but then I look at him and he's not smiling at all. Uh oh. Well, he takes me around the corner to a waiting area, he takes my passport and boarding pass and tells me to wait here. He disappears through a door into an area that looks like an office with several one way windows looking into the area where I'm waiting. I can see some movement behind the one way windows, but can't see what's going on. At this point, I'm getting a bit worried. I wait about 10 to 15 minutes. All sorts of things are going through my mind, including whether I'd soon be spending time behind bars. Finally, the agent emerges from behind the one way mirrored room, hands me my passport and boarding pass and tells me that I'm good to go. I ask him what the problem was was he provides some vague, not very specific answers. I got on my flight and had no problems after that. Not sure if I want to use my Global Entry card again. Maybe I'll just wait in line like I've always done before.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
txtig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2014, 10:15 PM   #10

I have Nexus. Works well however the first time I used it (border crossing into Niagara Falls, NY) I had an experience a bit like txtig and almost missed a flight. It wasn't quite so stressful though and the US Border agents were quite helpful in sorting things out. It was some sort of a glitch in the online registration process which they fixed pretty quickly and I was on my way.
6miths is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2014, 01:38 AM   #11
Dryer sheet aficionado

We have NEXUS & Global Entry. Can't believe how easy this has made our travel. Bypass security & customs lines (even internally in Canada), no questions from the border guards and no need to fill out US declaration cards. Basically go to the kiosks and you are good to go. Makes the process a whole lot easier. 50 bucks well spent.
Old 11-08-2014, 09:20 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTOrt View Post
We have NEXUS & Global Entry. Can't believe how easy this has made our travel. Bypass security & customs lines (even internally in Canada), no questions from the border guards and no need to fill out US declaration cards. Basically go to the kiosks and you are good to go. Makes the process a whole lot easier. 50 bucks well spent.

I'm confused...you have BOTH? Might I ask why?

omni
omni550 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2014, 09:25 AM   #13

When I got my NEXUS card, I was told (in writing) that it automatically cancelled my Global Entry membership, since the GE was redundant for those in NEXUS.
Old 11-08-2014, 10:20 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by txtig View Post
I got my Global Entry a few months ago. The first time I used it was returning from Calgary. At the Calgary airport, you actually clear US Customs in Calgary. Well, I entered the Global Entry line bypassing a much longer line for the regular folks. At this point, I'm thinking everything is going very well and was really glad I got the Global Entry. I went to the kiosk and scanned my passport and Global Entry card. The kiosk then told me that it was processing my info and showed a little spinning clock on the display. Minutes passed and people who were behind me in line were passing me up one after another. Finally, after about five or six minutes, the kiosk spits out a receipt with my info on it with a huge "X" on it. I think "this is not good". I take the receipt to the customs agent just ahead of me and he looks at it and then looks at me for what seems to be a long time. Then he asks "has his ever happened before?" I say no. He says "ok, come with me". So, I'm following him and then I ask if there's a problem. He says "it's not good". At first, I think he's just kidding with me, but then I look at him and he's not smiling at all. Uh oh. Well, he takes me around the corner to a waiting area, he takes my passport and boarding pass and tells me to wait here. He disappears through a door into an area that looks like an office with several one way windows looking into the area where I'm waiting. I can see some movement behind the one way windows, but can't see what's going on. At this point, I'm getting a bit worried. I wait about 10 to 15 minutes. All sorts of things are going through my mind, including whether I'd soon be spending time behind bars. Finally, the agent emerges from behind the one way mirrored room, hands me my passport and boarding pass and tells me that I'm good to go. I ask him what the problem was was he provides some vague, not very specific answers. I got on my flight and had no problems after that. Not sure if I want to use my Global Entry card again. Maybe I'll just wait in line like I've always done before.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
Hmmm. OP here.

Since I am a dual citizen, maybe I should just wait in line like everyone else. Not sure what sort of issues would pop up.

In LAX, there is already improvement. No long lines to check entry registration and passport. Just one line on Exit.
fh2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2014, 10:54 AM   #15
Dryer sheet aficionado

We are Canadian so that may be the difference. We received an email with the following message:

Global Entry Benefit: As a NEXUS member, you can now use the Global Entry kiosks located at the top 20 major U.S. international airports to enter the U.S. To use the Global Entry kiosks, you must use a valid machine readable passport. Do not use your NEXUS card in the kiosk, but you may wish to carry it with you. There is no additional cost to use Global Entry, and you may use it for the duration of your NEXUS membership.

Please be advised that, in an effort to improve the NEXUS program, the kiosks currently available in the U.S. pre-clearance areas at Canadian airports are being replaced with U.S. Customs and Border Protection (CBP) Global Entry (GE) kiosks. Global Entry is a U.S. domestic trusted traveller program that offers expedited clearance for pre-approved, low-risk members. NEXUS members receive Global Entry benefits automatically, at no additional cost, and have access to the GE automated kiosks for entry into the U.S. at participating airports.

When we leave Canada to the US we use a Global Entry kiosk, when we come back to Canada we use a NEXUS kiosk.
Old 11-08-2014, 12:31 PM   #16

Quote:
We are Canadian so that may be the difference. We received an email with the following message:

Global Entry Benefit: As a NEXUS member, you can now use the Global Entry kiosks located at the top 20 major U.S. international airports to enter the U.S. To use the Global Entry kiosks, you must use a valid machine readable passport. Do not use your NEXUS card in the kiosk, but you may wish to carry it with you. There is no additional cost to use Global Entry, and you may use it for the duration of your NEXUS membership.

Please be advised that, in an effort to improve the NEXUS program, the kiosks currently available in the U.S. pre-clearance areas at Canadian airports are being replaced with U.S. Customs and Border Protection (CBP) Global Entry (GE) kiosks. Global Entry is a U.S. domestic trusted traveller program that offers expedited clearance for pre-approved, low-risk members. NEXUS members receive Global Entry benefits automatically, at no additional cost, and have access to the GE automated kiosks for entry into the U.S. at participating airports.

When we leave Canada to the US we use a Global Entry kiosk, when we come back to Canada we use a NEXUS kiosk.
Thanks for the clarification.

Looks like I'll be applying for NEXUS.

omni
omni550 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2014, 01:01 PM   #17

Quote:
We are Canadian so that may be the difference.
I don't think there is a difference; we got the same message.

But we had joined Global Entry first, and were issued cards in that program.

Once we were in NEXUS, we were told to destroy our old GE cards since they would be invalidated in the system. As NEXUS members, we still have all the GE benefits in addition to the NEXUS benefits, so I guess that's what you were thinking of.
Old 11-08-2014, 01:13 PM   #18

I love my Global Entry status for coming back into the USA as well as for the TSA Pre benefits. (I have never randomly been denied my TSA Pre line since enrolling in Global Entry.)

Note that Australia and New Zealand also offer similar arrival benefits for those with Global Entry cards for free; I hope to try this out in the coming year. Anyone have actual experience using their GOES card to enter Australia or New Zealand?
CoolChange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2014, 01:32 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyBoy5 View Post
Best deal ever and if you use an AMEX car to pay the fee, they will reimburse you for the cost.
Is that with any AMEX card or just the Platinum?
zinger1457 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2014, 01:45 PM   #20

If you are United Premier Platinum or higher United will pay for your Global Entry!