Going to Puerto Vallarta in a couple of weeks, questions.

ShokWaveRider

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
We are off to Mexico mid December. Never been to PV tomorrow. I have a few questions.

1) We do not like to use ATMs or Take cash from our CCs. Yes, we know it is a better rate but we do not care. Other than CiBanco which we are told is the next best, can we get some basic fund exchange for say a couple of hundred US Dollars at the Airport? Are they reasonable?

2) We are staying near the Terminal Marina in an All inclusive, they do not do currency exchange, is there anything close to there?

3) Can anyone recommend MUST Do things and places to see while we are there. There are local bus stops just outside the Hotel.

Thanks.

We are off to Mexico mid December. Never been to PV tomorrow. I have a few questions.

1) We do not like to use ATMs or Take cash from our CCs. Yes, we know it is a better rate but we do not care. Other than CiBanco which we are told is the next best, can we get some basic fund exchange for say a couple of hundred US Dollars at the Airport? Are they reasonable?

2) We are staying near the Terminal Marina in an All inclusive, they do not do currency exchange, is there anything close to there?

3) Can anyone recommend MUST Do things and places to see while we are there. There are local bus stops just outside the Hotel.

Thanks.

When we go to Cancun (which I'd say the same) we take 200$ (for transportation, misc, etc) and ~40$ in one dollar bills for tips and that's all you need if you staying in all-inclusive

I think there is a cambio on the other side of the pedestrian bridge at the airport. 3 minute walk. The taxis are cheaper here, also.
Personally, I use machines.

My Yelp reviews are here - https://www.yelp.com/collection/pmxNp7lY6T3nNRd_ZnraFQ

PVR is a vacation/beach city. However, there is a small Naval museum in El Centro. I liked it. Wife did not.

We walk a lot. We eat in old favorites and try new restaurants.
We sit poolside and read.

You can always sit through a time share presentation. LOL.

I think there is a cambio on the other side of the pedestrian bridge at the airport. 3 minute walk. The taxis are cheaper here, also.
Personally, I use machines.

You can always sit through a time share presentation. LOL.

Thanks, we got a free lobster dinner last time we sat on one, it was not a chore at all. They gave us Hotel vouchers worth $500! Not too shabby certainly worth 2 hours and a Gourmet Lunch (Not a Buffet). So we are up for that if they still give out the benefits..... :dance:

The airport cambio has very poor rates. Can you order some pesos from your bank so that you have pesos in hand upon arrival? There are also santander and HSBC ATMs at the airport.
We travel to PV 3-5 times per year, so ask away.

Last edited:
Spend some time off property in the old town area. It’s beautiful and quaint and safe.

I use ATM all over Mexico. Always get pesos. Never understood why people get dollars out of them.
Also I take singles to get by until I have pesos. I also use credit cards with no foreign transaction fees for everything. At restaurants I tell them to run in pesos so rate is better.
Also take $1000.00 large bills and credit card on a different account that I leave in safe in case I lose wallet. Since we go for 3 weeks I try to be prepared since I lost my ATM card once.
Absolutely get off property. Go downtown to malecon area for lunch or dinner.
Also take a ride up to Bucerias, head to the beach (Mercado de Bucerias). Little restaurants right on beach. Mariscos El Gordo was great.
Have a great time!

Not to be a party pooper, but we went to PV once. The all inclusive we stayed at had a lot of drunk people - all day. The town was under whelming. We also took the local bus which was “interesting.”
We spent most of time at the beach. That was really the only interesting part of the trip. Never went back. Mexico just doesn’t appeal to us.

Not to be a party pooper, but we went to PV once. The all inclusive we stayed at had a lot of drunk people - all day. The town was under whelming. We also took the local bus which was “interesting.”
We spent most of time at the beach. That was really the only interesting part of the trip. Never went back. Mexico just doesn’t appeal to us.

We are the opposite, stay in Adults only resorts and always use local transport. We loved Cancun, Playa del Carmen, Akumel and Tulum so much decided we would check out PV. We could easily live there. We do not speak good Spanish though, but it is easy to communicate if you make a little effort.

I will comment more when we get back.

We go to Mexico often and just bring good old US$ currency for tips and extras. Otherwise, we use credit cards. I know you are at an all inclusive, but if you go into town you need to eat/drink at Pipi's.

When exchanging for pesos ask for more/mostly small denomination bills. Taxis, small shop keepers and street vendors will tell you the can't break larger bills.

Rythms of the night
Swimming with the dolphins
Hacienda San Angel for dinner
El Gran Miramar rootop restaurant or Gin Bar for fantastic views day or night

Bus routes have recently changed so routing to El Centro ask the concierge or the bus driver. Some go right in while others offer transfers.
Taxis are cheap and plentiful pay with pesos.
Tipping in 20 pesos notes. American coin is not useful.

Travel to Mexico all the time. Headed down to Zihua and then PV next month. Agree that airport exchange is a rip off. A couple of times I’ve gone to my crappy mega bank and exchanged for pesos. However I’m pretty much exclusively ATM. It is just too easy and efficient. I make sure I have extra pesos after the trip now so I have cash for the beginning of the next trip.

We are still using our snorkel equipment we bought 20 years ago in PV at one of the good dive shops. Something useful if you are forced to “go to town to look around”. I’ve done many of the sit through the timeshares for free money, dinner cruises, etc. but not worth it to me anymore. But I do take the local busses as opposed to taxis so the ingrained save money is still in me.
Have a great time!

We are still using our snorkel equipment we bought 20 years ago in PV at one of the good dive shops. Something useful if you are forced to “go to town to look around”. I’ve done many of the sit through the timeshares for free money, dinner cruises, etc. but not worth it to me anymore. But I do take the local busses as opposed to taxis so the ingrained save money is still in me.
Have a great time!

We take the busses for fun not the savings, I find it more satisfying getting by with my Spanglish, which is poor at best as I mix it with French and Italian by mistake, I do not know either of the languages well. But after a few days it becomes easy really.

We travel to PV often and stay in a small hotel in Zona Romantica. Love that part of town. We simply get pesos from an ATM (fees are minimal), and use credit cards otherwise (with no foreign transaction fees). We walk most anywhere, and truly enjoy being on the Malecon at sunset, when the vendors and the community are out for an evening stroll. Many favorite restaurants, particularly Jorges Hideaway and Shrimp Shack, a fun neighborhood restaurant that is low key and has fantastic seafood. LaPalapa, on the beach, is good for afternoon cocktails and people watching. The view from Mirador de la Cruz is phenomenal, though a bit of a hike up hill and stairs — worth the cardiovascular work out. Recommend, also, a side trip to Sayulita, if you have time. Some good zip lining in the forest as well.

Not sure how old you are but you should go to Andale Bar near the romantic area. Depending on time of year it can have quite the variety of customers. Very close to the gay beaches. However very American music and lot of older folks. Have had many a wild evening there. Give it a shot (or two)

Krisaquit.....where do you stay in PV's Romantic zone? Looking for a smaller hotel. Thanks.

We have been to PV and environs several times but always in an AI. We anticipate doing 6-8 week of independent travel in Mexico starting in Huatulco and working back up the coast in Jan. We will fly down on a one way ticket. We may spend all of our time in Mexico or go fly down to Costa Rica or Panama for two or three weeks.

Krisaquit.....where do you stay in PV's Romantic zone? Looking for a smaller hotel. Thanks.

We have been to PV and environs several times but always in an AI. We anticipate doing 6-8 week of independent travel in Mexico starting in Huatulco and working back up the coast in Jan. We will fly down on a one way ticket. We may spend all of our time in Mexico or go fly down to Costa Rica or Panama for two or three weeks. We typically only plan a few days in advance on these trips.

SWR; As I just stated on the exchange thread we have spent winters in the PV area for the last 12 years. In no particular order my comments are:

1)Yes there is an area of ATM's just outside of the final exit room. Ask at the taxi desk where the ATM's are. There are 5 or 6 lined up in one are

2) Taxis are charged by zone. This eliminates gouging.

3) I don't think that 1 bus will get you all of the way to El Centro. I think you'll have to change at the Walmart.

4) Yes to Bucerias. Very cool small town with many good restaurants.

5) Sayulita is another great beach town to the north, with a bohemian vibe. It's a surfing town. Great for a day visit.

6) Best Tour Operator hands down is Vallarta Adventures. Check their website. Buying in advance (48-72 hours)on their website will be cheaper.

7) You will be accosted by multiple time share people just before the final exit door. That area of the airport is called "The shark tank" for a reason. Don't establish eye contact with them. Say no thank you and keep moving. You will regret it if you agree to go on a time share tour. They are not 90 minutes including a nice breakfast. They are 4 hours with the last 2 hours VERY hard sell.

8)Keith upstream mentioned several good restaurants. You owe it to yourself to try at least one offsite meal. My very favorite restaurant for stunning views, ambiance and great food is La Capella. Reservations in advance needed. A trio of classical violinists stroll throughout the loggia styled restaurant and are very special. The restaurant overlooks the lit up basilica of the cathedral just in front of it with the ocean in the bacground. Ask for a table by the railing.

9)Uber is now in Vallarta. We use Uber and prefer it to tXix as you don't have to deal with cash.

Enjoy

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom