Join Early Retirement Today

Going to Puerto Vallarta in a couple of weeks, questions.
Old 12-02-2019, 01:45 PM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Going to Puerto Vallarta in a couple of weeks, questions.

We are off to Mexico mid December. Never been to PV tomorrow. I have a few questions.

1) We do not like to use ATMs or Take cash from our CCs. Yes, we know it is a better rate but we do not care. Other than CiBanco which we are told is the next best, can we get some basic fund exchange for say a couple of hundred US Dollars at the Airport? Are they reasonable?

2) We are staying near the Terminal Marina in an All inclusive, they do not do currency exchange, is there anything close to there?

3) Can anyone recommend MUST Do things and places to see while we are there. There are local bus stops just outside the Hotel.

Thanks.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-02-2019, 01:54 PM   #2
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShokWaveRider View Post
We are off to Mexico mid December. Never been to PV tomorrow. I have a few questions.

1) We do not like to use ATMs or Take cash from our CCs. Yes, we know it is a better rate but we do not care. Other than CiBanco which we are told is the next best, can we get some basic fund exchange for say a couple of hundred US Dollars at the Airport? Are they reasonable?

2) We are staying near the Terminal Marina in an All inclusive, they do not do currency exchange, is there anything close to there?

3) Can anyone recommend MUST Do things and places to see while we are there. There are local bus stops just outside the Hotel.

Thanks.
When we go to Cancun (which I'd say the same) we take 200$ (for transportation, misc, etc) and ~40$ in one dollar bills for tips and that's all you need if you staying in all-inclusive

(—Charles Bukowski)
wanaberetiree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2019, 04:00 PM   #3
gone traveling

I think there is a cambio on the other side of the pedestrian bridge at the airport. 3 minute walk. The taxis are cheaper here, also.
Personally, I use machines.

My Yelp reviews are here - https://www.yelp.com/collection/pmxNp7lY6T3nNRd_ZnraFQ

PVR is a vacation/beach city. However, there is a small Naval museum in El Centro. I liked it. Wife did not.

We walk a lot. We eat in old favorites and try new restaurants.
We sit poolside and read.

You can always sit through a time share presentation. LOL.
davebarnes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2019, 04:20 PM   #4
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by davebarnes View Post
I think there is a cambio on the other side of the pedestrian bridge at the airport. 3 minute walk. The taxis are cheaper here, also.
Personally, I use machines.

You can always sit through a time share presentation. LOL.
Thanks, we got a free lobster dinner last time we sat on one, it was not a chore at all. They gave us Hotel vouchers worth $500! Not too shabby certainly worth 2 hours and a Gourmet Lunch (Not a Buffet). So we are up for that if they still give out the benefits.....
Old 12-02-2019, 05:41 PM   #5

The airport cambio has very poor rates. Can you order some pesos from your bank so that you have pesos in hand upon arrival? There are also santander and HSBC ATMs at the airport.
We travel to PV 3-5 times per year, so ask away.
erkevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2019, 05:54 PM   #6

Cyber-Monday sale on tours:
ends today

https://www.vallarta-adventures.com/en/
erkevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2019, 08:25 PM   #7
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Spend some time off property in the old town area. It’s beautiful and quaint and safe.
Scuba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2019, 05:36 AM   #8
Confused about dryer sheets

I use ATM all over Mexico. Always get pesos. Never understood why people get dollars out of them.
Also I take singles to get by until I have pesos. I also use credit cards with no foreign transaction fees for everything. At restaurants I tell them to run in pesos so rate is better.
Also take $1000.00 large bills and credit card on a different account that I leave in safe in case I lose wallet. Since we go for 3 weeks I try to be prepared since I lost my ATM card once.
Absolutely get off property. Go downtown to malecon area for lunch or dinner.
Also take a ride up to Bucerias, head to the beach (Mercado de Bucerias). Little restaurants right on beach. Mariscos El Gordo was great.
Have a great time!
whenicandave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2019, 05:57 AM   #9
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by erkevin View Post
Cyber-Monday sale on tours:
ends today

https://www.vallarta-adventures.com/en/
Thanks but... Seems like they are the same price a always. Even perhaps a bit more expensive than 3 weeks ago. I do not think we should believe everything pitched to us.
Old 12-03-2019, 05:58 AM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scuba View Post
Spend some time off property in the old town area. It’s beautiful and quaint and safe.
We plan to, along wit The Botanical Gardens, perhaps Bucerias and some whale watching.
Old 12-03-2019, 06:01 AM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Not to be a party pooper, but we went to PV once. The all inclusive we stayed at had a lot of drunk people - all day. The town was under whelming. We also took the local bus which was “interesting.”
We spent most of time at the beach. That was really the only interesting part of the trip. Never went back. Mexico just doesn’t appeal to us.
COcheesehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2019, 06:15 AM   #12
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by COcheesehead View Post
Not to be a party pooper, but we went to PV once. The all inclusive we stayed at had a lot of drunk people - all day. The town was under whelming. We also took the local bus which was “interesting.”
We spent most of time at the beach. That was really the only interesting part of the trip. Never went back. Mexico just doesn’t appeal to us.
We are the opposite, stay in Adults only resorts and always use local transport. We loved Cancun, Playa del Carmen, Akumel and Tulum so much decided we would check out PV. We could easily live there. We do not speak good Spanish though, but it is easy to communicate if you make a little effort.

I will comment more when we get back.
Old 12-03-2019, 06:50 AM   #13
Recycles dryer sheets

We go to Mexico often and just bring good old US$ currency for tips and extras. Otherwise, we use credit cards. I know you are at an all inclusive, but if you go into town you need to eat/drink at Pipi's.
bltkmt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2019, 07:37 AM   #14
Recycles dryer sheets

When exchanging for pesos ask for more/mostly small denomination bills. Taxis, small shop keepers and street vendors will tell you the can't break larger bills.
Mykle57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Eat at Pipi’s
Old 12-03-2019, 07:58 AM   #15
gone traveling

Eat at Pipi’s

Quote:
Originally Posted by bltkmt View Post
you need to eat/drink at Pipi's
We love Pipi’s. Read all 251 reviews https://www.yelp.com/biz/pipis-puerto-vallarta-2

Pro tip: Order your items one course at a time. If you don't, your waiter will bring everything at once as they are trying to turn the tables.
davebarnes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2019, 09:10 AM   #16
Give me a forum ...

Send a message via Skype™ to kcowan
Rythms of the night
Swimming with the dolphins
Hacienda San Angel for dinner
El Gran Miramar rootop restaurant or Gin Bar for fantastic views day or night

Bus routes have recently changed so routing to El Centro ask the concierge or the bus driver. Some go right in while others offer transfers.
Taxis are cheap and plentiful pay with pesos.
Tipping in 20 pesos notes. American coin is not useful.
Old 12-03-2019, 09:20 AM   #17

Travel to Mexico all the time. Headed down to Zihua and then PV next month. Agree that airport exchange is a rip off. A couple of times I’ve gone to my crappy mega bank and exchanged for pesos. However I’m pretty much exclusively ATM. It is just too easy and efficient. I make sure I have extra pesos after the trip now so I have cash for the beginning of the next trip.
Old 12-03-2019, 10:13 AM   #18
Give me a forum ...

Thanks for all the good info, keep it coming, I am making a list, we leave Wednesday next week.
Old 12-03-2019, 10:41 AM   #19

We are still using our snorkel equipment we bought 20 years ago in PV at one of the good dive shops. Something useful if you are forced to “go to town to look around”. I’ve done many of the sit through the timeshares for free money, dinner cruises, etc. but not worth it to me anymore. But I do take the local busses as opposed to taxis so the ingrained save money is still in me.
Have a great time!
RetireAge50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2019, 10:56 AM   #20
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetireAge50 View Post
We are still using our snorkel equipment we bought 20 years ago in PV at one of the good dive shops. Something useful if you are forced to “go to town to look around”. I’ve done many of the sit through the timeshares for free money, dinner cruises, etc. but not worth it to me anymore. But I do take the local busses as opposed to taxis so the ingrained save money is still in me.
Have a great time!
We take the busses for fun not the savings, I find it more satisfying getting by with my Spanglish, which is poor at best as I mix it with French and Italian by mistake, I do not know either of the languages well. But after a few days it becomes easy really.