Join Early Retirement Today

Greek Island biking cruise
Old 04-09-2020, 07:10 AM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Greek Island biking cruise

Am looking at doing something like this in September of this year - has anyone done something like this? Any tips or advice? The company is Turkish/German and most of the trips start on a Turkish Island and then go to different Greek Islands. I would be renting the e-Bike and would do the Cyclades and Dodecanes. I have visited Greece many times before but am salivating at something like this....and hoping the forced jailing will ease up soon :-)

https://www.inselhuepfen.com/en/bike...of-the-aegean/

If you go to parent website/home, you can see they have lots of places they go around the worlf.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-09-2020, 09:08 AM   #2
Recycles dryer sheets

Two years ago I went on one of their Croatia tours. Loved it, get the nicest ship you can, some on our tour said our ship was one of their nicest so I'm concerned about going on one of their Greek tours.
Only thing I hated was towels, they only change towels once, each day our towel was wet as they never dry on the ship. I've looked on Amazon for a microfiber towel hoping it would dry.
I've been on many bike tours, one thing different with them, they didn't give you a route guide, everyone stuck together. I didn't like that but only hated the wet towels.
All this said I'm still considering going with them as they are the only tour company I found that does the cruise and bike.
Any trip beats JAIL.
Sunnymar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2020, 10:08 AM   #3
Recycles dryer sheets

Thank you for posting your question. I looked at all the Greek tours and booked the Pearls of the Aegean trip on the Elara for September.
Certainly we will be out of jail by them. We booked the ebike as we did for Croatia, they make the trip easy and fun.

Happy biking...
Old 04-10-2020, 06:10 AM   #4

Excellent! I'm still hesitating...may do it in October, a shoulder season trip here in Europe. Have a great time and report out here, please....🙂
deserat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2020, 05:01 PM   #5
Recycles dryer sheets

I have been to Greece and Turkey 4 times...but would never suggest biking there because I think it is too dangerous (roads + drivers).

For safety and culture and climate I recommend the Loire Valley in France, cycling East-West (downhill). I did the Loire Valley by bike and train and found the drivers to be very respectful of cyclists. Lots of bike paths and great food. The French were very accepting of cyclists.
samm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2020, 09:28 AM   #6
Recycles dryer sheets

Hear you all talking about booking trips to Greece and Turkey islands, I couldn't help wondering that isn't US is banned by the Europeans countries?
Eucerin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2020, 12:54 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eucerin View Post
Hear you all talking about booking trips to Greece and Turkey islands, I couldn't help wondering that isn't US is banned by the Europeans countries?
I live in Europe (Germany) right now and am able to move around ostensibly. I have not yet purchased the tour, as I am waiting for things to open up a bit more. We'll see. I was in Ricquewihr last weekend and the French told me they had just opened up the tourist spots a few days before. They had been closed for 3 months.

My colleague was in Belgium - things were quiet but a few places were open. A few weeks ago we went to Trier - not packed but a few people walking around and enjoying spring at the time.

I will try to drive to Switzerland soon to do some hiking there.
Old 07-22-2020, 09:18 AM   #8
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

We have traveled to and in Greece many times. Mainland and islands. Each time we rent cars. Sometimes for a day, often for a week or more. We have also driven in Turkey...multiple times. Last fall it was 4 one week rentals in Greece ( mainland and Ionian islands) and a 2 week rental in Cyprus.

Never had a problem driving, never found the drivers particularly bad.

As an aside, we would never recommend a cycling vacation in the summer months. Too hot. Much better to pick the shoulders...late April/May or October. Crete would be perfect for cycling!
brett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2020, 09:46 AM   #9
Recycles dryer sheets

Thought I should update my previous post.

I did book the Greece cycling trip online, when the company sent me my bill, I sat on it for a few days. I told my DH, maybe we jumped too soon, traveling out of the country is a risk we shouldn't take, he agreed. I then emailed back saying I'd love to do the trip but traveling to Greece at this time is just not smart.

I "smartly" changed our trip to travel to South Carolina and Georgia cycling with VBT in October. It isn't cancelled but I have a distinct feeling we wont be going on that one either.
Old 08-19-2020, 12:01 PM   #10
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Smart.

We are looking at Greece/Cypus or Morocco for either May/June or Sept/Oct of next year. I suspect IF it can happen safely the latter date is the most optimistic.

We are not counting on any travel for the remainder of this year and over the winter. The flight prices for next spring to either location are great but we do not intend to spend a dime or make a commitment until a week or two prior to departure.
brett is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
biking, cruise, greece