Hawaii in December..?

A friend lives in Hawaii and he said the state is considering rationing medical care due to COVID patients in hosp

A friend lives in Hawaii and he said the state is considering rationing medical care due to COVID patients in hosp

This is a concern for a few States, but of course the details are important.
If they stop cosmetic surgery due to a lack of beds, that seems like a pretty harmless (relatively) ration.

No he was saying if it looks like you are to sick to survive they might withhold care ie vent from you. I read that 3 states are doing this now. I think Idaho , and 2 others out west. Seems drastic to me. Not trying to change your mind about Hawaii just FYI

No he was saying if it looks like you are to sick to survive they might withhold care ie vent from you. I read that 3 states are doing this now. I think Idaho , and 2 others out west. Seems drastic to me. Not trying to change your mind about Hawaii just FYI

I think this is the actual proclamation:

https://governor.hawaii.gov/wp-cont...utive-Order-No.-21-06-distribution-signed.pdf

It does mention being allowed to limit elective procedures and DOES mention triage, but any care facility already has some policy on triage in place I would assume. Covid 19 presents issues from time to time just as a major natural or man-made disaster that would require triage. I don't think any emergency room would simply roll someone to the side and say "sorry" - rather they would say "we're overwhelmed" and call the next closest point of emergency care for transfer. I'm making this up as I go so YMMV.

I think Ige is simply letting the emergency folks know that no one will come after them IF (repeat IF) they actually don't have the ability to treat everyone. Again, not an expert (medically or legally). I just don't see this proclamation as "ground breaking" but rather as simple recognition that any given care center COULD become overwhelmed and won't be held responsible IF they perform in a reasonable manner.

By the way, I know of no such situations occurring but - I've been "away" for a while and just returned. It does appear that Covid infections are at least currently on the wane.

Responsible replies are welcomed as I just got home and YMMV.

https://health.hawaii.gov/coronavirusdisease2019/#counts

The 14 day average of new cases (see above link) is down almost 50% across the state. Drop in hospitalizations will start to drop soon and rationing shouldn’t be an issue, in the immediate future.

Things are getting better here. But the lower levels are still higher than last summer. To put it in perspective, we are still at levels the CDC is issuing "Do Not Travel" warnings for in other parts of the world.

There are still bodies in shipping containers and tent wards at hospitals. As recently as about a week ago the ICUs were full on my island. So we have some weeks of recovery ahead.

Politically there is a faceoff between opening up to appease tourist businesses and protecting ourselves from what could come in so in non-tourist ares tourists could run into some issues.

I think this is the actual proclamation:

https://governor.hawaii.gov/wp-cont...utive-Order-No.-21-06-distribution-signed.pdf

It does mention being allowed to limit elective procedures and DOES mention triage, but any care facility already has some policy on triage in place I would assume. Covid 19 presents issues from time to time just as a major natural or man-made disaster that would require triage. I don't think any emergency room would simply roll someone to the side and say "sorry" - rather they would say "we're overwhelmed" and call the next closest point of emergency care for transfer. I'm making this up as I go so YMMV.

I think Ige is simply letting the emergency folks know that no one will come after them IF (repeat IF) they actually don't have the ability to treat everyone. Again, not an expert (medically or legally). I just don't see this proclamation as "ground breaking" but rather as simple recognition that any given care center COULD become overwhelmed and won't be held responsible IF they perform in a reasonable manner.

By the way, I know of no such situations occurring but - I've been "away" for a while and just returned. It does appear that Covid infections are at least currently on the wane.

Responsible replies are welcomed as I just got home and YMMV.

No real disagreement here but I think I can provide more context as a resident of the Big Island. In Hawaii, the island of Oahu has a few major hospitals, and by major, please don't be thinking what you see on the mainland.

On Hawaii Island we have 3 hospitals, Hilo Medical Center, North Hawaii Community Hospital, and Kona Community Hospital. Each has roughly 10-20 beds for serious patients, maybe Hilo 2 or 3 times that. In normal times the saying is that if you are serious here, you are going to Queens, meaning Queens Medical Center in Honolulu.

But these are not normal times so Covid patients are filling the emergency rooms and ICUs

Things are getting better here. But the lower levels are still higher than last summer. To put it in perspective, we are still at levels the CDC is issuing "Do Not Travel" warnings for in other parts of the world.

There are still bodies in shipping containers and tent wards at hospitals. As recently as about a week ago the ICUs were full on my island. So we have some weeks of recovery ahead.

Politically there is a faceoff between opening up to appease tourist businesses and protecting ourselves from what could come in so in non-tourist ares tourists could run into some issues.

Are you talking about Hawaii.. the 7 day average for deaths is 6..and they are putting them in shipping containers? And your 14 days average for cases is down almost 50%

As a previous resident of Big Island, I can attest that the medical capabilities are quite limited.

Having said that, back to OPs question, one of my best memories of living on Hawaii was spending Christmas Day playing in the snow on Mauna Kea in the morning then spending the afternoon on Mauna Kea beach swimming and sunning.

Big island no ka oi!

Are you talking about Hawaii.. the 7 day average for deaths is 6..and they are putting them in shipping containers? And your 14 days average for cases is down almost 50%

My post was a couple weeks ago but yes, bodies in shipping containers. About 200 covid deaths in September alone. We don't have the capacity to handle that. Things have improved quite a bit in the last couple of weeks but the situation is still far from normal.

My post was a couple weeks ago but yes, bodies in shipping containers. About 200 covid deaths in September alone. We don't have the capacity to handle that. Things have improved quite a bit in the last couple of weeks but the situation is still far from normal.

You mean they had to make temporary morgues for overflow ? well I'm glad numbers are improving.

You mean they had to make temporary morgues for overflow ?

Yes. And they put up tents outside some hospitals to house patients in.

CDC "Very high risk" criterion is 500 cases in last 28 days per 100,000 population. Hawaii Island has about 200,000 people and is still getting 30-40 new cases per day (~980 per 28 days). Including the last 28 days would put us way over the threshhold. So even our improved level would correspond to a "do not travel" order. If we were not part of the United States a trip here would bar you from entry to the US right now.

The situation is not as dire as the numbers suggest, and life goes on. But looking at Honolulu numbers or state aggregates tells you nothing.

And still, people keep coming.

Drop in hospitalizations will start to drop soon and rationing shouldn’t be an issue, in the immediate future.

It has already started to drop. I get a daily email from Hawaii County Civil Defense that provides the numbers. A few days ago hospitalizations were at 39. Today it is 14. We have 24 ICU beds on the entire island and roughly that many ventilators. It is my understanding that most covid hospital admissions are ending up in the ICU at least for a while so, while it is a relief that hospitalizations have dropped from 39 to 14 is about a week, 14 is still using up over half the ICU capacity.

I have not heard any stories about rationing care but I'm not really looped in to any medical people on this island. I've heard though that most elective procedures have not been happening even though I don't think there is any official policy on this.

A couple of weeks ago we were getting 100+ new cases per day. Last summer we were shocked the day it hit 15 here. Today there were 49. So yes, we are moving in a positive direction but things are far from normal and not even close to summer 2020.

I don't think most patients end up in the ICU. But I would be curious what number do end up there. It's good to hear your numbers are dropping. I can certain see why you don't need tourists adding to the problem.

I don't think most patients end up in the ICU. But I would be curious what number do end up there. It's good to hear your numbers are dropping. I can certain see why you don't need tourists adding to the problem.

And I will reiterate, I am NOT anti-tourist. I came here for many years as a tourist before moving here. We don't need tourists adding to the problem right now, but more importantly for the OP, what you will find as a tourist here right now is sky high hotel and rental car prices and not nearly as good experience as when this all blow over. You will pay the same or more for a resort as 2-3 years ago but services are very limited so you get far less value.

And for the record, the health department has said that tourists are not the source of this surge. Most tourists are vaccinated except the criminals who forge their documents. It is unvaccinated locals who are getting sick.

Back
Top Bottom