Help directions from PA to NC avoiding Baltimore

Here is a quicker route with some highways. If you start at the right time you can avoid many missteps. I think 81 could work, but it will add significant time.

I am from the area and have been on these roads. Minor modifications can be made for whatever reason. https://goo.gl/maps/zk92wtXZ4v5Lg5NN8

Must be an echo in here.

One possibility is to take I-476 from Allentown down to the south end of Philadelphia, go on I-95/I-495 to Wilmington, Delaware and then catch US-13 to go down the Eastern Shore to the Chesapeake Bay Bridge Tunnel across to Norfolk. Then take US-17 from Norfolk to New Bern and US-70 from New Bern to Beaufort.

You'll only be on the Interstate a short time and in an area probably familiar to you.

Last edited:
+1 I rode I-81 on my motorcycle from near Ashville, NC to Hagerstown, Md in the rain. White knuckle all the way with all the 18 wheelers. That won't be repeated.

I live a few miles off I-81 and had to drive it routinely for w*rk. That was a major input in my decision to ER. It’s simply full of vehicles at all times of day, with the trucks blocking both lanes going uphill at 45 mph.

Must be an echo in here.
Not really an echo. In my post someone can click start and have Google guide the driver from beginning to end.

One possibility is to take I-476 from Allentown down to the south end of Philadelphia, go on I-95/I-495 to Wilmington, Delaware and then catch US-13 to go down the Eastern Shore to the Chesapeake Bay Bridge Tunnel across to Norfolk. Then take US-17 from Norfolk to New Bern and US-70 from New Bern to Beaufort.

You'll only be on the Interstate a short time and in an area probably familiar to you.

I live on the Outer Banks, NC and have driven to Pennsylvania a few times. Having lived many years in Northern Virginia I had no desire to deal with traffic around DC or Baltimore. I would drive down the Eastern Shore then over the Chesapeake Bay Bridge Tunnel as suggested by Gumby. Once you get past Norfolk/Va Beach it is an easy drive in the country the rest of the way. But the Chesapeake Bay Bridge Tunnel scares some people. It's not high or anything, but can feel like you are driving just over the ocean waves.

Back
Top Bottom