HoneyMoon Destinations

lswswein

Recycles dryer sheets
I am getting married soon, and I have the task of planning the honeymoon. I have some time and we both agreed to take advantage of the time around Christmas & New Yrs when we get free vacation days. I am in the East coast and we are looking for some place warm to go and relax. Any recommendations for a 7-10 day trip?

Thanks
-h

Any of the caribbean islands would be my choice and if you really want relaxation go to an all inclusive and by the way Congratulations !

DW & I stayed for a week at an all-inclusive resort in Jamaica for our honeymoon back in 1995. It was very nice, but probably not the best value since we're not big drinkers/partiers. We stayed in Negril which had gorgeous beaches, and the sailing and scuba diving from there were a lot of fun.

Downsides to Jamaica were (then, at least) the constant warnings about personal safety. We did a couple of off-resort excursions, but at the time they made it sound like we were taking our lives into our hands by leaving the resort. Things may be different now.

Also, if going there, keep a supply of $1 bills and expect to tip people quit a bit (someone will grab your bags at the airport and carry them for you, etc.). It wasn't a big deal, but I wasn't expecting it and it was a little off-putting at first.

From the East Coast I'd say Spain, the south of France, the Canary Islands, or Portugal.

If warm isn't your only requirement, I can heartily recommend the Czech Republic (Prague) and Tuscany. But Prague is really, really cold in winter and Tuscany isn't too toasty, either.

I have heard good things about all inclusive resorts. Mexico in particular.

Our honeymoon included a 4 day 3 night cruise which left from Miami (maybe it was 5 day-4 night?). Royal Carribean did a great job.
We then stayed 3 days at a Marriot resort in Ft Lauderdale
We then came home and took another day or two off work.

I liked the fact it was broken up (not 10 days in one place).

A few things I liked about our plans:

Married on a Saturday, but did not leave for airport until 3:00 pm on Sunday. Gave us TIME on Sunday. My family came 500 miles for the wedding, so I was able to meet them for a 9:00 am breakfast on Sunday. We also were able to get home, open gifts (and get MONEY) without being rushed.

I have heard numerous stories about people being late, or running late, on Sunday morning because of travel. I don't like being rushed, so this plan worked real well for me- I also traveled for a living at the time and this fit well into a good change of pace. I had one cousin which even left their own reception at around 9:00 pm (it ended at midnight) to get 100 miles to Toronto for a 6:00 am flight the next morning.

Think about the details of that weekend (how busy you will be) and where you need to get to (airport) and when you need to be there.

The sky is the limit... Wht's the budget? What do you enjoy? Desert SW is great at that time of year. Vegas is an option as is AZ or Southern Cal. It all depends on what you want to do and how many bucks you want to spend.

Back
Top Bottom