Hotel Breakfasts - Post Corona Crisis

Stayed at a hotel a couple of weeks ago here in Norway. Breakfast buffet almost back to normal. Hot bacon, eggs etc. Fruits and cereals. Only missing was the chef making omelets the way you want them.

It did feel weird suddenly eating a buffet breakfast among many other guests. I'm fully vaccinated so I enjoyed myself. But since then the Delta has really accelerated here in Norway so I'm not sure I would have enjoyed the same breakfast now.

The Hampton Inns I have stayed at Post Covid have had grab bags. The lodge we stayed at in Alaska last week had full buffets for breakfast, lunch and dinner. The food was dished up by lodge server people.
Same experience with Hamptons here so far. I’m not ready to wade into a breakfast buffet yet anyway. YMMV

We are staying at a BnB next week and another in about a month, but we may not eat in - will scope out the situation when the time comes. We expected Covid exposure to be much less of a threat by now when we made all the reservations, but obviously circumstances have deteriorated once again…very frustrating. Thousands in non refundable deposits on the line. :mad:

Last edited:
The new Hilton policy is interesting.

At the lower tier properties, (Hampton Inn, etc.) they will still have the traditional hot breakfast buffet. Higher end properties have restaurants where you buy your food, but there will be a credit to offset that cost.

The middle tier (Hilton Garden Inn) gives you $10 per person food credit (up to 2 people) per day.

The higher tier (Hilton, Doubletree, etc.) has a $12/day credit ($15 in some expensive cities).

The highest tier (Waldorf Astoria, etc.) has a $25/day credit.

Those food credits are automatically applied to your bill when you charge food to your room, and are good for any food, not just breakfast.

This is the kind of thing that ranks on my "back to normal" list. Especially at a nice hotel, the breakfast buffet can be awesome, and easily power me through a whole day of site seeing, activities, whatever, without having to stop for lunch. Room service breakfast isn't the same.

When I start traveling again, I'm hoping that all this is back. I am no more worried about the safety of buffets pre/post covid, given how transmission works.

I'm Elite level member of Marriott's loyalty program, which entitles us to free Continental breakfast at the buffets. Last May we stayed at Fort Lauderdale Marriott; the buffet was closed and replaced with waiter service, but it was still free. I got my Oatmeal/English muffin every day, and DW got her cold cereal and fruit. We ate on the outside veranda, although indoor dining was available as well.
We're going back end of September.

Spoke with the GM of a local Marriott the other day. We talked about this very issue.

Bottom line, they can't get help. They can't serve breakfast, they can't even clean the rooms daily, just at the end of the guest's stay. It's not just his hotel, they're all (at least, around here) having the same problems.

Hotel careers are made or broken on the comments guests leave. But lately, upper management has recognized the challenges and reduced that focus. It's not the GM's fault that the web site still advertises amenities for which there are no resources to support.

On the flip side, his observation is that guests are more cranky, too. Some of it is understandable based on the missing amenities, but there's also a sharp increase in pure a-hole attitudes.

I suspect this is partly a local thing. Our regional economy is seasonal. Many foreign workers couldn't come this year, and local young people who often seek out summer jobs are not doing so. Add to that all the shortages and inability to buy, ship, install or fix appliances and materials, and everyone's nerves are shot.

All this may be true; but we noticed a decline, in food quality and service, well before COVID messed up everything for everybody.

During the 90's and aughts, when I traveled on per diem, chains such as Marriott and Hampton Inn vied for business travelers' dollars. "Free Breakfast" was a coveted perk. Guests lined up at 0600-0630 for omelet stations, waffle stations, hot greasy meats (which I avoided), fresh fruit, yogurt, several kinds of boxed cereal, and granola bars that could be taken away for snacks. As others have said, I could go all day (and save my lunch per diem) on a good solid breakfast.

In later years, we shuttled back and forth on I-95 between Maryland and Florida with an overnight stay along the way. The same chains now offered Wi-Fi but in other ways were clearly shaving expenses. Many breakfast items were pre-packaged (preservatives and salt, yuck).

First the omelet stations disappeared, then the waffles (which I never liked). I still recall a Hampton Inn in Savannah GA, with smiling attendants and freshly cut fruit medley, that morphed the next year into canned fruit cocktail, with a clumsy grump, loudly banging steam trays into their supports.

We moved to Florida in 2019, necessitating several car trips, and a lot of overnights until we brought pots, put an inflatable bed in the house, and cooked there.

Breakfast was now only the cheapest calories: One kind of dry cereal, from a sort of pet food dispenser, I suppose to cut down on theft of individual boxes; toast; milk; cheap yogurt cups (two tablespoons yogurt, the rest preserves); some trays of greasy meat; liquid sugar disguised as orange juice; and a rack of bananas. No snack bars, or perhaps they were already gone. Of this "bounty," all we could stomach was coffee, cereal, milk, and sliced bananas.

Of microwaveable sandwiches, the less said, and even less eaten, the better.

Spoke with the GM of a local Marriott the other day. We talked about this very issue.

Bottom line, they can't get help. They can't serve breakfast, they can't even clean the rooms daily, just at the end of the guest's stay. It's not just his hotel, they're all (at least, around here) having the same problems.

Hotel careers are made or broken on the comments guests leave. But lately, upper management has recognized the challenges and reduced that focus. It's not the GM's fault that the web site still advertises amenities for which there are no resources to support.

On the flip side, his observation is that guests are more cranky, too. Some of it is understandable based on the missing amenities, but there's also a sharp increase in pure a-hole attitudes.

I suspect this is partly a local thing. Our regional economy is seasonal. Many foreign workers couldn't come this year, and local young people who often seek out summer jobs are not doing so. Add to that all the shortages and inability to buy, ship, install or fix appliances and materials, and everyone's nerves are shot.

The best breakfast buffets tend to be in Europe. I can think of a half dozen hotels over there (my favorites) that have incredible breakfasts. Ten times better than the best I've ever seen in this country.

IIRC, Marriot is the chain that put their official tip envelopes into the rooms a few years ago. IOW, they know they aren't paying their staff a descent wage, and so have foisted that responsibility onto their customers. Shameful.

Back to breakfast... while the buffet breakfast spread at the Holiday Inn in Corvallis OR may not be as good as a breakfast from a good Americian style coffee shop, it has the advantage off not soaking up another hour of time in the morning. That's nice if one has another 600+ miles to go on the today's drive, or if one wants to get to some popular site before the lines get too long

I agree that the grab-n-go bags are awful. We felt grateful for a Denny's near one hotel that did the breakfast bags. Imagine that!

IIRC,
Back to breakfast... while the buffet breakfast spread at the Holiday Inn in Corvallis OR may not be as good as a breakfast from a good Americian style coffee shop, it has the advantage off not soaking up another hour of time in the morning. That's nice if one has another 600+ miles to go on the today's drive, or if one wants to get to some popular site before the lines get too long

I agree that the grab-n-go bags are awful. We felt grateful for a Denny's near one hotel that did the breakfast bags. Imagine that!

Agree I like to go back to my room after breakfast, to brush my teeth and finish other necessary things.

Breakfast was now only the cheapest calories: One kind of dry cereal, from a sort of pet food dispenser, I suppose to cut down on theft of individual boxes; toast; milk; cheap yogurt cups (two tablespoons yogurt, the rest preserves); some trays of greasy meat; liquid sugar disguised as orange juice; and a rack of bananas. No snack bars, or perhaps they were already gone. Of this "bounty," all we could stomach was coffee, cereal, milk, and sliced bananas.

Of microwaveable sandwiches, the less said, and even less eaten, the better.

Ah, I love your descriptions! I agree with them. I travel with a stash of protein bars (yeah, I know many of them have a lot of chemicals and some are sugar bombs, too) in case nothing but the coffee meets my standards. Sadly, I do think some of the deterioration is due to people filling their backpacks with stuff to eat later. Someone mentioned on another board that they do that and when I pointed out that breakfast items aren't meant to be taken out for later consumption I was accused of "shaming" her.

Hey, they're "free," right? lol

I've also seen where places provide saran-wrapped oranges, bananas, and Red Delicious (a.k.a. wax) apples, clearly for take-away. Never saw anyone grab handfuls of those.

when I pointed out that breakfast items aren't meant to be taken out for later consumption I was accused of "shaming" her.

I heartily agree. Wonderful food and hot drinks! Then again, we haven't been in Europe on our own since the aughts, so things may have changed. Our trips overseas, since retirement, have all been with tour groups staying in finer hotels, where lavish buffets were expected. Wonder what it's like there now.

The best breakfast buffets tend to be in Europe. I can think of a half dozen hotels over there (my favorites) that have incredible breakfasts. Ten times better than the best I've ever seen in this country.

I heartily agree. Wonderful food and hot drinks! Then again, we haven't been in Europe on our own since the aughts, so things may have changed. Our trips overseas, since retirement, have all been with tour groups staying in finer hotels, where lavish buffets were expected. Wonder what it's like there now.

Actually, the places I was thinking of are definitely not "finer hotels", just mid-range. I'm often just blown away by their breakfast rooms. But we haven't been over there since 2019 so I hope things haven't changed by the time we eventually get back.

We stayed at a Comfort Inn in western PA about two weeks ago. It has been a while since I last stayed in one of them, but it seemed like the breakfast selection was substantially pared down - individually wrapped bagels, cream cheese, muffins and bananas were all they had. And coffee, which was really bad. Our second morning, we just went to McDonalds.

Pre-COVID I loved having a made to order omelette for breakfast. Hilton Garden Inn usually offers this option.

So many US hotel breakfasts are high in carbs - particularly those grab and go bags. And often the eggs are yucky. Slim pickings for us.

Last edited:
Even in countries that traditionally eat minimal “Continental” breakfasts like France and Spain!

Yes, love the European hotel breakfast experience. Many even offer an egg cooker (heated water bath) where you can cook your own soft boiled eggs just right.

We stayed at a Comfort Inn in western PA about two weeks ago. It has been a while since I last stayed in one of them, but it seemed like the breakfast selection was substantially pared down - individually wrapped bagels, cream cheese, muffins and bananas were all they had. And coffee, which was really bad. Our second morning, we just went to McDonalds.

I've been doing McDonalds since Hampton Inns went to the go packs. And DW refuses to eat the Hampton Inn breakfasts when they are at their best. She just grabs a banana.

We have spent several weekends this summer at the Trump International Hotel in Washington DC and have enjoyed their breakfasts very much.

So many US hotel breakfasts are high in carbs - particularly those grab and go bags. And often the eggs are yucky. Slim pickings for us.

And it's really a waste when the bags are pre-packed and you don't get to choose what's in it- stuff gets thrown out, Fortunately, the Embassy Suites where I take my granddaughters did this only once, in odious styrofoam trays since the breakfast area was closed. (Really unfortunate that COVID has got us back to more single-use plastics.) We didn't eat everything but I put the leftovers in the refrigerator in our room. Later I parked them in front of Netflix and took a nap. The leftovers disappeared.:D

Lots of these breakfast bags are nothing more than 'sustenance' that one eats because it's [-]free[/-] already paid for and better than going hungry.

This Spring we stayed at a Hampton Inn, and had the same issue as Mr. Gumby. After nibbling on a few things from the hotel grab-n-go bag we found a local chain called Elmer's for breakfast. There was a Denny's across the street from the hotel also, but Elmer's was worth the extra 5 minute drive. If I am going to Blow That Dough paying for a descent breakfast is a good way to start.

Last edited:
Hmmm. Upgrade hotels?

The town we’re in has a Comfort Inn, a Best Western Plus, and some local places that look like pay by the hour motels. So we’re already in the best of what’s available. Having said that, I wouldn’t upgrade hotels just to get a good breakfast anyway. Easy to buy stuff in the grocery store such as yogurt and fruit, or go to a restaurant if we want a hot breakfast.

Finishing up a 2 week trip to Austria and Italy.

The Salzburg and Dolomite hotels offered full buffets.

One hotel gave you plastic disposable gloves for handling. BTW, sanitizers everywhere, even entering stores.

One of the Dolomites hotels made you eggs to order. They asked though if you leave your table for the buffet that you wear masks. They also made coffee drinks to order, had Tyrolean cold cuts and cheeses.

I have stayed at 4 hotels in the last 6 weeks. 3 Holiday Inn Express and 1 Sheraton.

All in NC.

Sheraton had an on-site restaurant so didn't offer free breakfast or any credit. All 3 IHGs had hot breakfast and coffee. Omelets or scrambled eggs, patties or links, muffins, cereal, milk, hot cinnamon rolls, yogurt, bagels, cream cheese, butter.

Back
Top Bottom