Join Early Retirement Today

Old 04-08-2017, 05:08 PM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amethyst View Post
It doesn't cost anything to apply and get an appointment. You could explain the situation at the appointment and, based on the reaction, decide whether it's worth it to go ahead and pay for the process.
Actually you have to pay ahead.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-08-2017, 06:25 PM   #22
Give me a forum ...

Good to know. I didn't have to pay to apply online, so I guess you mean they ask for payment before you can talk to a human at the application office?

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2017, 06:37 PM   #23
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

For Global Entry, check your credit card benefits and see if you have on that rebates the fee. That's the main reason we went ahead and got it instead of pre-check (also, we live a lot closer to a GE interview center than a pre-check one). The rebate came through within 24 hours of the charge, way before we even had the interviews, so even if they had denied us it still would have cost us nothing.
cathy63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2017, 08:08 PM   #24
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amethyst View Post
Good to know. I didn't have to pay to apply online, so I guess you mean they ask for payment before you can talk to a human at the application office?
No - that's a difference between the Global Entry program and the TSA Pre-check program. The overall process is different even though both give you a KTN which gives you TSA Pre-check.

With GOES, you pay to apply online, then you get a conditional approval letter with your KTN, then you schedule an interview, then if you "pass" your interview (which includes FBI screening), you are approved. You get to use your KTN, and you get an RFD GOES card to use at border crossings. And you get to use the super fast lane at immigration.
Old 04-09-2017, 11:54 AM   #25
Give me a forum ...

I noticed that once I turned 60 we started to have TSA pre check printed on our boarding passes on most flights so we did not need to pay. I have heard from others that once they turned 60 this happened to them too. I guess they figure old people won't be terrorists)
Teacher Terry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2017, 12:07 PM   #26

Quote:
Yes, you pay ahead for Global Entry.
You pay at the appointment for TSA pre-check. Known traveler number is issued 8-10 business days later.
As to the relative difference between the two. Right now it just depends on the airport where you land. In Seattle, TSA pre-check gets you to a kiosk just like the GE holders. Bundle that with a mobile app from CBP, "Mobile Passport" and you don't need to complete a CBP form on the plane.

Rita
Old 04-09-2017, 12:37 PM   #27
Give me a forum ...

In a way I hope this is incorrect, because I just turned 60 and would have gone through the (expensive) name change procedure for naught! Not to mention the TSA pre-check procedure for us both.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
I noticed that once I turned 60 we started to have TSA pre check printed on our boarding passes on most flights so we did not need to pay. I have heard from others that once they turned 60 this happened to them too. I guess they figure old people won't be terrorists)
Old 04-09-2017, 12:39 PM   #28
Give me a forum ...

This is all the TSA web site has about older passengers: If you're over 75, you get to keep your shoes and jacket on.

https://www.tsa.gov/travel/screening...s-75-and-older
Old 04-09-2017, 12:53 PM   #29
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
That's what I hear - seniors usually get TSA precheck, but I didn't know 60 was the magic number.
Old 04-09-2017, 01:19 PM   #30

Quote:
I noticed that once I turned 60 we started to have TSA pre check printed on our boarding passes on most flights so we did not need to pay. I have heard from others that once they turned 60 this happened to them too.
Ah, that explains it.

Before DW and I got Global Access, often she would get TSA precheck and I wouldn't. She'd zip though and I wait in the long line - and she'd have to wait for me.
mpeirce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2017, 04:09 PM   #31
Full time employment: Posting here.

We decided to get our Nexus cards. Same benefits as global entry, but it is only $50 for five years instead of $100.

I believe it took a few weeks, but we were in no rush. Could be that Canada didn't agree with the background check and fingerprints that we had on file for our explosives manufacturing permit.
Clone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2017, 05:15 PM   #32

NEXUS is great. All the benefits of GE at half the price. Plus expedited entry at Canadian airports. The only hassle was getting the iris scans, but we were able to do that without even an appointment when passing through the Halifax airport a couple of years ago.

I walked through the terminal and found the office, and there was a sign on the door "No Admittance. Call xxx-xxx-xxxx for an appointment."
So I pulled out my cell phone and called. Told the guy I needed an iris scan for NEXUS and he said "Where are you calling from?"
"Right outside your door."
"Well, we're not busy right now, come on in."
braumeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2017, 05:25 PM   #33

Quote:
That explains why I now get pre-check on all my flights. I thought it was the metal stuff that required me to go through the scanner anyway so the TSA can be sure I am not a threat.
Another Reader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2017, 05:51 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by euro View Post
I was bent on NOT bothering with a Global Entry card because I'm trying to minimize international travel, but you guys are making me reconsider...... it IS very tough to stand in a 300 person line after a tiring transatlantic flight. No doubt about that.
Especially if you have another flight to catch... I think I'll probably get Global Entry.

Too bad I didn't know about it when I did TSA Precheck last year. Mine took about 2 weeks to get my number by email, another 2-3 weeks to get my official letter.
EastWest Gal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2017, 08:38 PM   #35
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post
The GE website says that convictions "may" disqualify you, not that it's a sure thing, so it might be worthwhile giving it a try.

A quote from an LA Times article from last year that talked about people appealing GE denials and getting in the program:

Global Entry program turns this traveler down, then reconsiders--and here's why

I had a minor in possession on my record from 35 years ago (at the time I applied 5 years ago). I was approved with minimal additional questioning.
ears20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2017, 12:00 PM   #36

I wanted to post an update on the Mobile CBP app. I just got back from a trip to Europe. On landing complete the new trip section of the app and keep the app active when you go through Customs.

Skip Global Entry kiosks totally with this app. Cool your heels waiting for luggage off the airline (gives you time to complete the new trip screen).

At Customs talk to the officer, then hold your phone with the bar code down on the reader. Scan it. Done. At least in Seattle, anyway.

- Rita
Old 06-07-2017, 01:20 PM   #37
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
That's what I hear - seniors usually get TSA precheck, but I didn't know 60 was the magic number.
My DW and I have been getting it for free as well for almost all of our flights (maybe all - can't recall) the past 2 years and we are 54/55 now. Don't think 60 is a magic number.
Fishingmn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2017, 01:48 PM   #38
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishingmn View Post
My DW and I have been getting it for free as well for almost all of our flights (maybe all - can't recall) the past 2 years and we are 54/55 now. Don't think 60 is a magic number.
This is a practice TSA is shutting down except for the elderly unless someone has been through the process to get a known traveler number. Don't be surprised if it goes away for you.
Old 06-07-2017, 02:27 PM   #39
Recycles dryer sheets

Just learning about these programs..

Seems like NEXUS is better than GOES is better than TSA Precheck...

but.. I don't see any nexus app center in the tri state area (PA, NJ, MD)

GOES has a couple in my state..
jetpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2017, 02:44 PM   #40

Yes, NEXUS gets you exactly the same benefit as Global Entry, but at half the price. It also gives you a big advantage flying into Canada from overseas, and a terrific advantage crossing the border in a car.

A couple of years ago we were crossing the Ambassador Bridge (Detroit) from Canada to the US at a busy time, and the line was mind-boggling. I was calculating that it would easily take us an hour to get through the crossing, when I suddenly noticed an empty "NEXUS Only" line. Luckily, I was able to maneuver over to it, we showed our NEXUS cards and were waved right through. Saving over an hour of stop&go in the hot sun was priceless.

It was well worth the effort to drive up to one of the NEXUS stations (we used Detroit) to get the cards.

Tags
travel, tsa approval, tsa pre-check