How many continents are there?

Plantman

Recycles dryer sheets
I would like to go to every continent in my lifetime. I am now confused as to how many there are. Growing up, I was taught that there were seven. Africa, Antarctica, Asia, Australia, Europe, North America and South America. Some say Europe and Asia are one (Eurasia). I've also seen a newer one called Zealandia.

I would like to go to every continent in my lifetime. I am now confused as to how many there are. Growing up, I was taught that there were seven. Africa, Antarctica, Asia, Australia, Europe, North America and South America. Some say Europe and Asia are one (Eurasia). I've also seen a newer one called Zealandia.

Well it depends. For the US education system it is 7 as you detailed. My friends from France swear there are 6 because Antarctica has no countries. Other people teach six because Europe/Asia or North/South America are combined.

Think you are free to go where you want. The wildcard, and most expensive, is the Antarctic. I would do the other 6 and then if you have a spare $30k take a cruise out of Argentina or Chile.

You could probably find places you would enjoy traveling to more than arbitrarily traveling to separate continents. You're not even sure what to consider a continent. It seems there's a better way.

Well it depends. For the US education system it is 7 as you detailed. My friends from France swear there are 6 because Antarctica has no countries. Other people teach six because Europe/Asia or North/South America are combined.

Think you are free to go where you want. The wildcard, and most expensive, is the Antarctic. I would do the other 6 and then if you have a spare $30k take a cruise out of Argentina or Chile.

If a person counts it without stepping on the ice, then it can be a lot cheaper. Example 1K for a few that cruise along it.
https://www.vacationstogo.com/fastdeal.cfm?deal=41863

or:
https://www.vacationstogo.com/fastdeal.cfm?deal=18752

The only one we have not visited is Antarctic. Nor do we plan to. We have a
enough snow, ice, glaciers where we live.

On our cruise to SA a few years ago we were not willing the shell out the big bucks for an excursion just so that we could step on a piece of snow or ice and say we had been there. Did not seem any point to it.

Based on the number of ads for Depends, I would imagine there are also a lot of incontinents, so that's another category to consider.

Reactions: jj
I was taught in the USA that there were 7. I was also taught that there were 9 planets, so things can change.

I've been fortunate and have been to somewhere on each of the 7 continents. Of all the places I have visited, Antarctica gets my vote as the most spectacular (by far). Yep, it is expensive to visit and difficult to get to. The trip was worth it to me.

There are seven continents on Earth. They are:

Africa
Antarctica
Asia
Europe
North America
Australia
South America

During our trip a few years ago, I got to camp out in a tent overnight on the Antarctic mainland. Just an incredible experience and a memory that will last me the rest of my life.

We also got to go swimming in the ocean there, at an island with an active volcano that kept the water (close to shore) warm enough to do that.

Attachments

• DSC_0239.jpg
    DSC_0239.jpg
    339.5 KB · Views: 19
I've been fortunate and have been to somewhere on each of the 7 continents. Of all the places I have visited, Antarctica gets my vote as the most spectacular (by far). Yep, it is expensive to visit and difficult to get to. The trip was worth it to me.

I met a couple on my last trip with Overseas Adventure Travels who had done 22 tours with them. (Yeah, the math is pretty mind-boggling.) When asked about their two favorite trips they said Antarctica and Tanzania. I just don't do cold well so probably will never get there.

Slightly OT: I listened to a Peter Attia podcast on the effects of too much exercise. They mentioned a woman who had run 7 marathons on 7 continents in 7 days. Nope. Not on my bucket list.

Zealandia is a submerged, continental fragment. Not a continent.

Reunite Gondwana!

Last edited:
Here you go:

continents.jpg

I was dragged to six of the seven by the time I was nine years old, by my travel-addict parents.

Honestly I don't see how traveling to Antarctica would add to my total life experiences in any positive way. YMMV

You can easily knock out 2 by visiting Istanbul. Kinda like going to Texarkana.:LOL:

From my link above. It seems the only continents “everyone” agrees with are Australia and Antarctica. Although the Olympics says there are 5 continents, hence 5 rings.

Attachments

• IMG_2898.jpeg
    IMG_2898.jpeg
    726.2 KB · Views: 5
Probably because the Olympics will never be held in Antarctica.

Europe and Asia don’t have a geological (tectonic plate) separation, so I can see counting Eurasia as one continent. 5 rings then.

Interestingly part of eastern Siberia is on the North American plate as is the northern half of Japan.

From my link above. It seems the only continents “everyone” agrees with are Australia and Antarctica. Although the Olympics says there are 5 continents, hence 5 rings.

Hey, if Google results aren't good enough for our esteemed members, then maybe they can get a new job as "Continent Definer" in retirement.

Honestly I think the whole thing is baloney. If one does not have a reason to disagree with the majority, I'd just go with what Google (and the Encyclopedia Brittanica) agree is the accepted number of continents. But then, maybe my personality is not argumentative enough.

Oh, and then here's another argument for you - - my family cruised just offshore of Antarctica, which I suppose might mean that I have been in Antarctic waters. So does that give me the (apparently HIGHLY desired) bragging rights that you all so seriously covet?

I couldn't care less. If I did, I'd be dragging myself through several of the states I have never visited so I could brag about that.

I would have preferred to stay home that year so I could do many of the other things that I missed due to constant travel. For example, I never saw one single episode of "The Honeymooners", a show that many still talk about but I have never seen. My point is that if you do one thing, you miss doing something else.

I don't know how anyone can count them accurately, since due to tectonic plate movement the continents are in constant motion. :cool:

According to Bard:

The number of continents depends on how you define them! There are a few different models used, and which one is "right" can depend on who you ask and where you are in the world. Here are the three most common options:

Seven continents: This is the most common model, especially in the West. It includes:

• Asia
  • Africa
  • North America
  • South America
  • Antarctica
  • Europe
  • Australia
Six continents: This model merges North and South America into a single continent called "America." It's more common in some parts of South America and Europe.

Four continents: This model combines even more landmasses. It merges North and South America into "America," Europe and Asia into "Eurasia," and Africa, Asia, and Europe into "Afro-Eurasia." This model is less common, but it's used in some parts of the world, like Russia and China.

So, the answer to your question is technically "it depends"! But the most common answer, especially in the West, is seven continents.

Ultimately, it's up to you how you choose to define and count the continents. There's no one "right" answer, and each model has its own merits and drawbacks.

I hope this helps! Let me know if you have any other questions.

If continents are intended to be land masses, I can't really see the logic of combining North America and South America together, nor Africa and Asia, but I could see some logic in combining Europe and Asia into Euroasia, but still think 7 is the best answer.

Last edited:

I think it's a terrific goal if you want to do it, & seeing Antartica sounds like an amazing experience from those who have done it. IMHO swimming or cruising in nearby waters or flying overhead & looking out the window wouldn't "count" but you can set whatever parameters are meaningful for you.

I recently made a list of countries I've been to (26) & states (28) -- many as a travel writer in my 20s, work-related travel as a lawyer (I always managed to explore), & vacations. I may be adding to the list soon, not to increase the numbers but for the experiences. I have vivid memories of every single place & the experiences are a big part of who I am.

Last edited:
If it makes you feel complete then just go to all 7 as defined by what you were taught. However, keep in mind that this limits your experiences of travel if your travel ends there. If your trip to Europe is visiting Portugal then it would be quite different than if you went to Scotland instead. A trip to Argentina in SA would be different than to Venezuela or a trip to India will be different than South Korea.
Why not just enjoy your travels to countries in which you have an interest?

Since I have already been to most of the countries I really wanted to see, the seven continents idea is actually an expansion of my travel desires.

Back
Top Bottom