How much was your last trip & where did you go?

Road trip up the east coast of the US and then spent most of the time in Canada. $1,316 for 17 days for our family of 5 (using some free hotel nights and travel redemptions from a credit card).

Restaurant Meals $19/day - lots of take out; a few restaurant meals
Groceries $12/day - we cooked a lot at home
Gas 2,300 miles @ $0.135/mile
Parking ~$10/day when we paid for parking
Tolls $92
Transit we rarely took transit $36
Four Points by Sheraton (Philly) 4 nights, 16,000 SPG points
NYC Hotel 2 nts, incl. $50 off coupon @ Expedia 192
AirBnB Apartment - Montreal $471
AirBnB Apartment - Quebec City 2 nights (cancelled last 6 nights and received full refund for entire stay) 0
Barclay Arrival Plus Card bonus -$500 redemption on the Airbnb stay
Entertainment/Admission Fees so much awesome stuff was free $49
Souvenirs no thanks; our house is full already $0
Miscellaneous Laundry $6
TOTAL TRIP BUDGET 17 days at $77/day - $1,316

We are leaving for a week long cruise to Mexico, Honduras, and Belize tomorrow. $1,660 for two cabins including all the mandatory tips for the four of us (leaving the 2 year old with grandma). I figure another $300 for parking, gas for the 800 mile drive from Raleigh NC to Miami, and a couple meals on the way there and back, and maybe a little spending money in the ports for bus fare, museum admission or a taxi. Otherwise we don't expect to spend anything on the ship (if past cruises have been any indicator). Hotel for quick overnight in Jacksonville is free using 2,000 Starwood Preferred Guest points. Total vacation budget for 9 days, 8 nights = a hair under $2,000. We might stop in Jacksonville on the way back if we find something fun to do in Miami after we disembark or between Miami and Jacksonville.

We have $5,300 in our early retirement budget for travel, and I don't think we'll do any more big trips this year. We did have to renew 3 passports this year so that's another few hundred dollars out of the travel bucket.

Just a small point: When in Europe, public transport (trains, buses, trams) are usually all the transportation we need. Far cheaper than renting a car, and no worries about finding a place to park it.

In general I agree. But not entirely. When we were exploring tuscany - and staying at a fabulous agriturismo in the countryside outside of Greve - we absolutely needed a car. But for our city and larger towns part of the trip we could get by with buses, trains, ferries, etc.

We're specifically avoiding a car on our big trip next summer. But if we decide we want to explore the countryside outside one of the towns we're staying in - we can always rent one for the day.

But if you want to do an "under the Tuscan Sun" or "Stealing Beauty" type vacation - you probably want a car.

Absolutely!

If the weather is good I will often picnic if time permits. I choose cheaper hotels that are not far from the center of town, but usually within a 15 minutes max subway or bus ride in. (Good public transportation is a must to do that.)

My rule of thumb is that prices for things like lunch, coffee even souvenirs drop 10% for every 10 minutes one walks away from the prime tourist areas, up to about a 40% reduction if one gets a bit lucky.

I avoid the souvenir shops and, instead, shop local places where the natives go. So, before leaving Paris, I found a nearby Uniprix (I think that was the name) which seemed like a Kohls/supermarket combo. I bought beautiful French soaps, chocolates, scarves (ie. cool local items to take home) for about 1/4 their prices in souvenir shops.

My friend and I found the makings for fabulous picnics by shopping the open air markets. On the Rue Mouffetard (Left Bank), the breads, cheeses, pastries, "charcuterie," and produce were delicious, fresh and economical.

In Tours, there was a similar market near the train station.

(Plus, "picnics" can often be eaten on the run, or on the train.........so more time is available to see the sites.)

For us, the cheapest fun is just being there......!

:dance:

Last edited:
Just a small point: When in Europe, public transport (trains, buses, trams) are usually all the transportation we need. Far cheaper than renting a car, and no worries about finding a place to park it.

This does not apply in Ireland. Without a car you will miss 90% of the good stuff. Earlier this year I rented a Kia Sportage diesel for 2 weeks in Ireland for $250. I had coupons and my own insurance and GPS.

Last month I did a 10-day driving vacation to Virginia (lived in Hampton for 3 years over 30 years ago) and spent around $2800.00 (hotels, gas, tolls, food, admissions). My big splurge was a $250.00 a night oceanfront condo in Virginia Beach for 3 nights but it was great in that it had a terrific kitchen. I bought freshly picked lump crab daily and ate it twice a day out on the balcony. Most other places I stayed averaged $150.00 a night but came with a varied and filling breakfast and so I usually just picked up a Subway sandwich and had it in my room with some fruit for dinner.

January, 2014 - 10 day Costa Rica trip via Caravan tour company cost about $2500 per person, $5000 for me and DW.

June, 2014 - 8 day Alsakan cruise via NCL cost about $2000, $4000 for me and DW. This figure is not very accurate b/c we didn't track all the incidentals very closely. There were too many of us, and DW handled all the money transaction for group incidentals.

1 to 2 day trips which don't required travel by air ranged from a few hundreds dollars (nearby national parks) to about $1500 (golf trip). I do that about 4 - 6 times a year.

Once I RE, I hope to do more travel which requires less money, e.g, camping.

DW and I just got back from a 5 day circle Lake Michigan driving tour

5 nights hotel $508.33
Food $305.29
Gas $181.36
Activities, souvenirs $359.19
Total $1354.17

Last edited:
5 nights in Corvallis, Oregon last month. My husband's band played in an outdoor concert, and we decided to make a vacation out of it:
5 nights-400 (great and cheap VRBO place in Philomath)
gas-222
food and booze and souvenirs/activities-388.70 (includes the food we brought up)
Total: 1,010.70
We hit the farmer's market pretty hard, but limited eating out to three times.

Our most recent major trip was a big splurge and we may not do another this expensive although it was absolutely worth it.

Small-ship cruise in SE Alaska on the Wilderness Discoverer from Ketchikan to Juneau: $7K with tips and extras (but extras- alcohol and a snorkeling trip- were only $130). Probably another $2K in airfares and hotels on land, since we started in Sitka and spent a couple of days there, plus some food in Sitka and on either end in Seattle. Oh, yeah- add $200 for day passes in the airline clubs in both directions! We had a 7-hour layover in Denver outbound and a 2-hour in Houston on the way home, but on the way home we'd gotten up for a 6:30 AM flight out of SEA, we both had colds and wanted peace and quiet. We overnighted in Seattle in both directions but had special promotional certificates from my company's Wellness program that got us into the Marriott for $60/night. We'd actually done this 2 years before and liked it so much we went back.

Last year, at the other extreme, we managed to spend a week in Paris for about $1K out of pocket, using airline miles and hotel points. We tend to pick up most of our meals in grocery stores when we travel with the occasional sit-down restaurant meal. We enjoy relaxing in the room at the end of the day. It wasn't a deliberate attempt to be frugal- that would put a real damper on traveling, It's just how we are.

Our next major trip is likely to be Scotland, including the Orkneys- also a repeat of places we've been before and loved. Airfare, if we're lucky, will be on airline miles between here and Edinburgh. We may have to pay for one fare in Business Class and redeem miles for the other. Cash-back bonuses from credit cards will help defray that- we've got almost $1K accumulated. So, the cost should be something in between the last 2 trips.

We did the Wilderness Discoverer in June 2013, with a week in the interior and back country Kantishna, did the glass dome train. around $13K.

In February we did the Un-Cruise Hawaii Islands on Safari Explorer extra couple of days on the Big island $11K.

We have already booked the Galapagos Islands, with Un-Cruise with Machu Picchu, and we are budgeting $30K for a 3 week trip.

I knew I took SS at 62 for some reason.

This is a really helpful thread. Though actual costs will depend a lot on individual preferences, there is much detail in here to help plan. Thank you all.

My last trip was a week in Venice with the young wife in April.

$2192 Round-trip JFK to Venice, with one stop in London (coach)
$ 132 Airport parking JFK
$2700 Hotel in Venice (6 nights)
$2200 Meals, museum admissions, transportation, etc. while in Venice ~

$7324 TOTAL ~

Last edited:
Last spring we went on a two week european river cruise from Amsterdam to Budapest. Excellent trip!

$11,664 - Total for 14 day Rhine/Main/Danube Cruise

$10,023 - Cruise Including Airfare
$254 - Delta Econo Plus upgrades
$115 - Airport Parking
$280 - ATM Euro Cash
$115 - Dinner in Vienna
$717 - Cruise Tips & Various Other Extras
$160 - Pet Boarding

Yes, we keep a spreadsheet with the details for tracking expenses.

I forgot the pet sitting. It wouldn't seem that it's worth $25 per day to stop by my house once per day, fill up the cats' food and water bowls and empty their litter box, but that's the going rate around here.

I forgot the pet sitting. It wouldn't seem that it's worth $25 per day to stop by my house once per day, fill up the cats' food and water bowls and empty their litter box, but that's the going rate around here.

Yeah, I forgot it too. We give our lady 15 dollars a day in our small town. She comes twice a day and feeds wet food, and waters plants. Also, gives our cat a pill twice a day. We feel very fortunate that she's there for us. She has access to the garden for fresh vegetables, and sometimes we leave wine for her to take. Maybe we need to give her a raise!

Interesting (and educational) to see the different styles and methods of traveling.

We did a two month trip last spring - a week in Hawaii visiting family and staying in a VRBO rental with a car rental. Then seven weeks in New Zealand, where we rented campervan for most of the trip. A few hotel days at the beginning and end of the trip in Christchurch and Auckland. Toured most of the country, camping in the van all along the way. Hiking, mountain biking and a kayaking trip. Most meals were from the grocery store and consumed in the camper sitting in some of the most beautiful scenery in the world. Flight was from the US west coast. Around $12,700 for the trip.

I went to San Francisco for a week. Spent about $100, because someone else picked up the tabs.

When I see what people spend on fairly short trips, I don't think I could make myself do this unless I had about $10million. I always have traveled very cheaply, and that is how I will in the future or I won't go. My gf can only travel in August, and I pretty much refuse to leave Seattle in August, although if she got serious about it she could call out her heavy artillery and I might give in.

Ha

In January my DW and I went to St. Lucia where we chartered a bareboat Lagoon 420 sailing catamaran with friends and did a 2 week sail as far north as Antigua and back. We also did stop offs on Guadaloupe, Dominica and Martinique. Costs were approx $1200 airfare, $2000 share of charter and $1800 food & fun. Total = $6000.

We've been chartering a couple times a year while joined by friends since 2010 and it's a great time! Plans are to buy a boat and spend winters on board when RE'ed in a couple years.

We went to Ireland, spent ~$1700 with travel agency for car, GPS, Insurance, and B&Bs stays that covered real nice rooms and breakfast.
The air fare was ~$1500 for two (off-season, Oct, Nov).
We spent ~$1200 on dinners, tours, and sites on a two weeks trip.

The trip included 3 days in Dublin (no car), 1 day Kilkenny, 2 Cashel, 7 days in Blarney (day trips from Blarney to Cobh, Cork, Kinsale, Killarney, and more. We went to different sites almost every day; we had a discount book from travel agency that cut most costs in half as a BOGO.
Evening meals were at Pubs, and nice restaurants we don't drink so we ate pretty well.

We take a lot of pictures, but have stopped buying souvenirs don't need the stuff, just the memories.

So about $4400 all in and even though we went in off-season, all the sites were still open and we had most to ourselves, weather was not bad, wore jeans, t-shirts, and hoodie.

We are heading to France in a few weeks with another couple for 12 days. Should cost us around $8,500 per couple.

Airfare - $2,800
Transport - $700 (combo of rental and public)
Lodging - $1,650 (2 VRBO's and 2 nice B&B's)
Meals - $2,000 (planning around $100/day/person - probably will be less)
Attractions - $1,000 (This might be high but doing a nice wine tour and some other experiences)
Misc - $350 (buffer)

Total - $8,500

If anything I'm high and the dollar has been climbing against the Euro in the past month which should help in the end. Guessing it may end up closer to $8k.

Looking at some of these numbers, looks like I'll be staying home a lot...

When I see what people spend on fairly short trips, I don't think I could make myself do this unless I had about $10million. I always have traveled very cheaply, and that is how I will in the future or I won't go.

Travel has always been a huge priority of ours. Back when frequent flyer programs were more generous, I was accumulating points via business travel, and DH's back could withstand long hauls in Coach, we went to Europe 2 or 3 times a year. I'm glad we did that when we could. OTOH, we lived very modestly in other areas (driving mediocre used cars, eating mostly at home, etc.) to free up more money for travel.

Next weekend we're headed to our favorite B&B for 3 nights- a little over 3 hours away. It will probably be $1,000 after factoring in purchases at the local wineries and meals not provided by the B&B (although we'll have a very special dinner at the B&B one night). I'm grateful that's still in the budget!

We're in week three of a month-long RV trip to New Mexico and Colorado. Looks like the total cost will be around $2,400.

I love NM - used to live in Albuquerque and my folks retired to Santa Fe.

When I FIRE, I want to take about a month and just drive the state - lots of festivals, events, beautiful spots.....and the food! :D

I love NM - used to live in Albuquerque and my folks retired to Santa Fe.

When I FIRE, I want to take about a month and just drive the state - lots of festivals, events, beautiful spots.....and the food! :D
+1

We try to spend a couple of weeks in NM every year. We stumbled across this place last week in Albuquerque. Some folks will probably recognize it...

Attachments

• DSCN2610.jpg
    DSCN2610.jpg
    635.4 KB · Views: 49
We're in week three of a month-long RV trip to New Mexico and Colorado. Looks like the total cost will be around $2,400.

That works out to a bit more than $100 per day. We couldn't travel on that.

The NM part sounds like fun. We've finally begun taking road trips, shorter ones to start, but I'm looking forward to a couple of weeks in the SW as we build up our "on the road" endurance.

Back
Top Bottom