Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

How to find best deals for flying business class
Old 04-29-2017, 01:34 PM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

How to find best deals for flying business class

A couple friends invited us to join them for a Europe trip late September/early October. We are thinking of flying business class. Someone once said if we don't fly business class, our kids will. We wouldn't want that

We are pretty flexible on the dates and places flying in and out of. Any idea on how to find the best deals?

Thanks!
GoodWishes is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

wow,
Old 04-29-2017, 02:48 PM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

wow,

ididnt know they discounted business/first class i am excited to read these tips. and i like the quote about the kids flying in ur placehahaha
Blue Collar Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2017, 03:10 PM   #3
Recycles dryer sheets

My favorite group for travel help is travel miles 101. The guy who started the facebook group will also book you for a very small fee...i think it's $40

I've also use this booking service where they used my miles and booked it all for me. One Mile at a Time - TIPS, TRICKS, AND TRAVEL WITH LUCKY It was $100 a ticket and they used all my miles and some cash
TrophyWife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2017, 06:12 PM   #4
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I always fly steerage--in the back of the plane. And I can afford two trips instead of one with the difference in price. My flight takes the same time as theirs. Note: I flew home from Budapest earlier this week for $238 one way.

You don't say where you're flying from and to. With a little more info, we could possibly help you know which airports to fly into. They're not all priced the same.
Bamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2017, 06:25 PM   #5
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I booked economy plus for an upcoming trip for a cruise leaving from Southampton. But splurged for cross country first class seats to Seattle from Philly later this summer to see our grandson (and his parents). I just book through the airline's website after researching through other travel sites.
Dash man is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2017, 07:26 PM   #6

I like momondo.com because when you search, it has a bar chart of fares by date so it's pretty easy to click on the shortest bar and switch the search to cheaper dates. Also, it groups results by cheapest, quickest and best, which I like. When I was booking flights for our trip later this summer, I started at momondo and then went to the individual airline sites to fine tune the search and actually book the one that had the best route at the best price.

I've also found that on some routes I can save a nice amount by getting myself to a hub airport and flying from there. For example, round-trip SAN to ARN this summer is $979 and you have to go through EWR (an airport I detest), but SFO to ARN via AMS on the same days is only $432.50. It happens that we have enough miles on Southwest to get to SF for free the day before and a place to stay with family that night, but even if we didn't, we could certainly do it for a fraction of the $1093 we're saving on two tickets.

I think the best thing you can do is just do a lot of searches from any airports you're willing to fly from/to, set fare alerts through Google or Kayak and buy when you think they've gone as low as they're going to.
cathy63 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2017, 08:53 PM   #7

I have a BA credit card, and amassed enough miles and credits to get a companion ticket for DW. That made the miles for business class the same as for coach for both of us.
Our absolute LAST European trip was on BA from LAX to Moscow, returning from St. Petersburg.
Souschef is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2017, 09:50 PM   #8
Recycles dryer sheets

DH and I did some searching today. There are a lot of choices. We saw many cities/countries that we are interested in flying in and out of. We will have to do some narrowing down. On one hand it is good to have so much flexibility. On the other hand need to make some choices. When we were working, our date and place of vacation are more well defined. Now more like we can go anywhere anytime.

Thanks for all the tips.
Old 04-29-2017, 11:39 PM   #9
Recycles dryer sheets

The best way to find routine good prices is using Google Flights. Just head there, put in your departure airport as your home one and then for destination put in Europe. Make sure at the top right you choose business class. You don't have to put in dates or anything. Under all of that stuff (dates and whatnot) will be a "discover destinations." Just pick your month and duration. It will give you a lot of choices with the price. For example, I'm currently seeing LAX to London or Paris in September for around $3K. But hey, Barcelona or Madrid are about $2K. There are lots more choices by choosing business class and then clicking on the map to explore as well.

If you want to stumble across the true deals, they are here on flyer talk. You better be ready to pull the trigger and purchase as the deals disappear relatively quickly.
clobber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2017, 12:04 AM   #10
Recycles dryer sheets

@clobber
Looking at Google flight now. Exactly what I am looking for. ~2k to Spain sounds pretty good. Thanks.
Old 04-30-2017, 02:49 AM   #11
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodWishes View Post
@clobber
Looking at Google flight now. Exactly what I am looking for. ~2k to Spain sounds pretty good. Thanks.
I dont understand what you mean. If you follow the steps I outlined, you should see it all. Do you?
Old 04-30-2017, 10:12 AM   #12
Recycles dryer sheets

@clobber
Sorry I wasn't clear. I did see lots of cities with prices on the map. I was just commenting on a couple of them, that ~2k to Madrid and Barcelona seem good to me. I need to spend more time and look through the many choices on the map. Time I have
Old 04-30-2017, 11:11 AM   #13

Another option - an all biz class airline. Prices not that much higher that legacy coach...

https://www.lacompagnie.com/en/la-co...r-and-services
Old 05-01-2017, 06:17 AM   #14
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodWishes View Post
@clobber
Sorry I wasn't clear. I did see lots of cities with prices on the map. I was just commenting on a couple of them, that ~2k to Madrid and Barcelona seem good to me. I need to spend more time and look through the many choices on the map. Time I have
Ahh - I re-read what you said and it makes sense now!
Old 05-03-2017, 08:32 AM   #15
Dryer sheet wannabe

Has anyone used asaptickets.com or alphaflightguru.com ? I've looked at them in the past, but haven't pulled the trigger.
2K1N1K is offline   Reply With Quote