• 21-25

Votes: 16 10.3%
  • 26-30

Votes: 9 5.8%
  • over 30

Votes: 29 18.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
22 foreign countries, although that 22 includes Puerto Rico and some Caribbean islands which are probably technically protectorates or whatever.

37 states, and that 37 includes DC, which of course technically isn't a state. Whatever.

I thought we were very well traveled--until we went on a 13 day Holland America repositioning cruise ending in Rome starting 4/2/2017.

We've never met so many ridiculously well traveled people as were on that cruise. But there again, the average age was a generation older than our 67 years. Over 900 of those on the cruise went on to the Greek Isles for another 15 days.

There are many people in this world that travel time and time again--spending little time at home.

States.....haven't been to Alaska, Wyoming, Colorado, Nebraska, Kansas, Iowa, Vermont, South Dakota, Utah.

Provinces...haven't been to Newfoundland. (Or the northern territories.)

15 countries, may even more. I have visited Johnson Island, Waka, Midway, Pohnpei, Truck, Quartz, Iwo Jima, Marcus island and a Cole more. Visited most of these ore than once.

Last edited:
Not very. I've never been particularly interested in travel.

I'd rather go on adventures in my head than take trips to other countries. Seems like it's more trouble than it's worth.

We just now got back from two new to us countries so we are at 18. There are only two or three that we still want to see. This trip was two full weeks and although I loved it, it wore me out so thinking there's an end in sight to my enjoyment of our international travels. Otoh it was chilly and rainy and I came home with a godawful cold, so maybe will feel differently in a week or so

I almost didn't count Panama. But I have been through the Panama Canal twice (takes all day long and then some), and we did get off the ship in Panama City at least one of the times. So I think it's good enough.

Spent 200 days per year on the road for 30+ years travelling for business with lots of time for personal exploration while there.

Everywhere. Every US state (oddly except Oklahoma), Western/Eastern Europe, all of Asia, Japan, China, Africa, Latin America, Middle East, several small Pacific Islands and.....Canada.

Racked up 4MM flight miles along the way and loved every minute of it! DW was also able to tag along for most trips.

Last edited:
I stopped counting after about 32, but I think I missed a couple. Like Marko, I was on the road 3 weeks out of the month for many years. That said, I counted up the states I've been to, and it is significantly fewer than countries I've been to. With the RV, we plan to add a few more stages this summer. And, while DW would still like to visit some places overseas, I no longer have any drive to do so. Hawaii is about as far overseas as I'm interested to go.

Travelled all countries in Europe (including the likes of Andorra, Monaco, Vatican, Lichtenstein, etc etc) in my teens/early 20-ies. Rail passes and hitchhiking (no problem back then :cool: ). Then travelled many, more places on business for megacorp. That's part of the reason why I REALLY dislike air travel now and try to avoid it as much as I can.

33, soon to be 34.

I don't consider myself to be particularly well travelled, because there are continents and major countries that I have not visited. I'm currently focusing on Europe as, despite being born there, I left in my 20s and was too busy throughout my career in North America to spend much time there.

I have been to all provinces in Canada except PEI. Have not been to Nunavut or NWT.

I have been to 25 US states, plus Washington DC.

Last edited:
I've been to about 40 countries, depending on what you count as a country. I only counted the U.K. once, though I've been to England, Wales, & Scotland (and Guernsey & Jersey). How to count Czechoslovakia if you were there when it was 1 country but were in both parts that later became 2 countries? (I was there when it was 1 country, but only in the part which became the Czech Republic.) How about the Sinai peninsula? I was there when it was still occupied by Israel and not yet returned to Egyptian control. What about the Palestinian Territories? What about Monaco or the Vatican, both of which seem pretty bogus to me? I didn't count Iceland or Japan where I never left the airport, or Cyprus, where I never left the boat.

I've been to all 50 US states & DC, 9 Canadian provinces (though I never got off the train in Saskatchewan), and 19 Mexican states plus Mexico City. Been to every continent except Antarctica.

Nearly all of this was before I retired and it was all pleasure travel, not for work. The vast majority was by bicycle. Since my retirement 5 years ago, eldercare has prevented me from doing as much travel as I'd hoped.

I have been to 59 countries, as well as the northernmost point in North America Point Barrow, the southernmost city in South America Ushuiah
I have certificates attesting to my being in all 24 time zones and all 7 continents.
I have been north of the Arctic Circle, and south of the Antarctic Circle.
As CS&N said in "Southern Cross" , I have been around the world. BUT I did not lose my girl (DW)

Last edited:
About 24 based on the 48 consecutive hour definition and about 30 if you include stops during cruises and such. I included Taiwan but excluded Scotland.

Normally, my definition of a visit is that you have to get out of the airport and head into town and likely have a local meal. We usually pack in a bunch of stuff even on an 8 hour visit/port of call.

IMO, the number of countries thing is somewhat superficial. In large countries you'd only add one to the tally even though there are likely so many unique regions.

I suspect our country count won't go very high. While there are some new countries we'd like to visit, we're normally inclined to revisit countries that we really like.

Made it to 32. Would like to add Australia, Austria and the Czech Republic to the list.

Spent 200 days per year on the road for 30+ years travelling for business with lots of time for personal exploration while there.

I'm not eager to leave a large inheritance to a bunch of nieces who won't even talk to me unless I talk to them first.
Hi there, favorite uncle, marko.
How ya' doing?
Your very bestest niece,
XOXOXO
redduck
Heeeyyyy!! I found an appreciative relative finally!
Now, just send me your full name, address, important PINs and social security number and I'll put you in the will...guaranteed.
Found you. You really do travel a lot. Just the other day you were on a different thread.
Hi, it's me again, uncle marko. Thought I'd just drop by to see how you were doin'.
Oh, you and the numbers, always numbers, hah! You forgot my full name? I hope you haven't forgotten that you're my godfather. But, that's OK, even if you did forget-I forgive you. Oh, I don't have my own social security number-if I need one, my friends let me borrow theirs. But enough about me: let's talk about us…

I was thinking that maybe you could take me to a football game to see our favorite team--you know, the Patriots. I could wear a Tom Brady jersey (it would be neat if you bought me one). Whenever I see Tom Brady on TV, I always think he looks a lot like you--except that you have more of a macho swagger. That's my favorite uncle!!!
Forever and always,
Your very closest niece (and most appreciative relative),
redduck

Found you. You really do travel a lot. Just the other day you were on a different thread.
Hi, it's me again, uncle marko. Thought I'd just drop by to see how you were doin'.
Oh, you and the numbers, always numbers, hah! You forgot my full name? I hope you haven't forgotten that you're my godfather. But, that's OK, even if you did forget-I forgive you. Oh, I don't have my own social security number-if I need one, my friends let me borrow theirs. But enough about me: let's talk about us…

I was thinking that maybe you could take me to a football game to see our favorite team--you know, the Patriots. I could wear a Tom Brady jersey (it would be neat if you bought me one). Whenever I see Tom Brady on TV, I always think he looks a lot like you--except that you have more of a macho swagger. That's my favorite uncle!!!
Forever and always,
Your very closest niece (and most appreciative relative),
redduck

Finally! A relative who loves me for who I am and not for my money!!

Travelled all countries in Europe (including the likes of Andorra, Monaco, Vatican, Lichtenstein, etc etc) in my teens/early 20-ies. Rail passes and hitchhiking (no problem back then :cool: ). Then travelled many, more places on business for megacorp. That's part of the reason why I REALLY dislike air travel now and try to avoid it as much as I can.

Ah... I forgot about the Vatican... though I think there is some debate whether it is a country or a soverign city-state.

Had this debate with a friend when we were each counting countries -

Does having been to Germany, West Germany and East Germany count as 1 or 3?

if not for those Patriots tickets you would be the invisible uncle. :D

Naw....not my favorite niece redduck! I'm calling my lawyer this morning to change my will. (and increasing nighttime security around the house)

I've been to about 40 countries, depending on what you count as a country. I only counted the U.K. once, though I've been to England, Wales, & Scotland (and Guernsey & Jersey). How to count Czechoslovakia if you were there when it was 1 country but were in both parts that later became 2 countries? (I was there when it was 1 country, but only in the part which became the Czech Republic.) How about the Sinai peninsula? I was there when it was still occupied by Israel and not yet returned to Egyptian control. What about the Palestinian Territories? What about Monaco or the Vatican, both of which seem pretty bogus to me? I didn't count Iceland or Japan where I never left the airport, or Cyprus, where I never left the boat.

I've been to all 50 US states & DC, 9 Canadian provinces (though I never got off the train in Saskatchewan), and 19 Mexican states plus Mexico City. Been to every continent except Antarctica.

Nearly all of this was before I retired and it was all pleasure travel, not for work. The vast majority was by bicycle. Since my retirement 5 years ago, eldercare has prevented me from doing as much travel as I'd hoped.

WOW! We have not covered as much territory but we did a lot of our travel, in N America and Europe on our bicycles as well. We have another trip planned for this summer GAP/C&O. A great way to travel. Hope you are still able to get on the bike from time to time.

I'm not really sure; 50 maybe? The ones that left the most impression and in the end felt like the biggest reward were the worst. Chad, northern Uganda, Rwanda, Liberia etc... Riding the scary ferry between Brazzaville, Congo and Congo-Kinshasa was one of the highlights of my life.

Back
Top Bottom