Iceland in end July

Moscyn

Full time employment: Posting here.
Anyone been to Iceland in summer? A few friends and I are planning a trip to Iceland in July for a week. I googled Icelandicair and noted they also have travel packages and day trips from Reykjavik. Prefer not to drive, so any other tips on planning or must do/eat/see while there? Thanks

Fantastic place. I've only been there once (a two week TDY many years ago), but I got to see Reykjavik and all the area around there, as well as the more remote east coast. Alas, I was there in the winter, but I would love to go back in the summer. Even in winter it was a memorable experience, so I think you'll be fine no matter when you go. Stay away from the banks.

Are you going to Iceland directly or is it a stopover for someplace else? You might want to check and see if Icelandic Air has their "free stopover" in Iceland on the way to someplace else in Scandinavia.

With four days, I don't think you'll have a ton of time, so I would do the popular Golden Circle tour.

Heard very good things about the Blue Whale Watching tours, but we decided against it due to the cost and the time factor.

It's been almost 8 years so a lot might have changed. Oh, and we were there in late July/Aug and at least 2 of days were pretty cool (the high was in the low 50's).

Are you going to Iceland directly or is it a stopover for someplace else? You might want to check and see if Icelandic Air has their "free stopover" in Iceland on the way to someplace else in Scandinavia.
This is what I was going to mention, as they do often run this offer. I suspect that if we ever take a long vacation in Europe we may do it this way. But right now, my desire to vacation there has to overcome the increased hatred I've developed for flying, an activity I used to enjoy but which I now loathe above almost all else.

DW did the Iceland stopover enroute to Europe long ago (before I met her) and loved it.

For my money, Iceland is so beautiful that it's a destination in itself, and well worth at least a week on its own.

Trivia:
The Icelandic language has not mutated with the rest of the Scandinavian languages, and remains close to the original. As a result, any literate icelander can read the medieval sagas and eddas with little or no trouble.

The Icelandic animals have evolved into fairly unique breeds. The horses, for example, are short and very shaggy, as are the sheep. The sheep are really amazing. Their wool is so incredibly rich in lanolin that a hand-knit Icelandic sweater (a big cottage industry there) is so soft that you can wear it right next to your skin with nothing in between.

The cows give milk that tastes better than any milk I've ever had in my life, and I've lived all over the world.

Thanks everyone for good suggestions. My travel plan is now changed given the recent vocanic activity. My travel partners prefer to play it safe and have a worry free holiday, Iceland is definitely a place worth visiting and I will defer it to later. I think I may go with DH when he can take leave from work and we can go as a side trip. My friend and I are now looking at other destinations for our July trip.

Thanks everyone for good suggestions. My travel plan is now changed given the recent vocanic activity. My travel partners prefer to play it safe and have a worry free holiday, Iceland is definitely a place worth visiting and I will defer it to later. I think I may go with DH when he can take leave from work and we can go as a side trip. My friend and I are now looking at other destinations for our July trip.

Forgot to mention, Iceland makes every other place look cheap, so this probably isn't a bad place to go since stuff is a lot cheaper since the krona took a dump during the crisis. We'd heard that Norway was crazy expensive, but after Iceland, we didn't think it was bad at all!

Ohh, and when you go, you absolutely must try the local Icelandic delicacy: Puffin. Not because it's good, it's not, but where else can you try Puffin?!

Back
Top Bottom