Join Early Retirement Today

If you could live anyplace in the world for 6 months where would it be?
Old 08-22-2009, 02:49 PM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

Where would you choose and why?
bank5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-22-2009, 02:54 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bank5 View Post
I'd choose right here.

Why? Two reasons:

1. Even with the chiggers, scorpions and rattlesnakes, it is still home.
2. Four of the upcoming six months will likely have days below 100 - and maybe some rain!
Old 08-22-2009, 02:55 PM   #3
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Living in Minnesota I think about this a lot.

I'm researching this now. I think I would go to a different warmish place every year.
Danny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2009, 03:00 PM   #4
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Island of Crete.

Reason - It is sooooooo beautiful there.
I spent 6 days there in 1996. It was way too short a visit. I am half Greek and have always wanted to learn more about the culture of my ancestors.
While I was there, I was actually able to read the letters on the signs and some short words because I know most of the alphabet from science/math courses. A local guy was teaching me some simple phrases and I took right to the language.
Knowing me, I would get involved in some volunteer w*rk at Knossos: doing research or cataloguing artifacts or giving tours in English.
Old 08-22-2009, 04:34 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by bank5 View Post
Every time we leave the islands we hear "All y'all are from Hawayuh and yer travelin' hee-yer?"

I wouldn't mind living in Chiang Mai for a few months like Oct-Mar. Interesting culture, great archeological & historical sites, wonderful food. Or somewhere on the Monterey Peninsula like Carmel or Pacific Grove, as long as it's May-Sept. Diving, the Monterey Bay Aquarium & Cannery Row, great restaurants, perhaps a friend or two from when we were stationed there in the 1980s.

But there are other days where I don't even want to go downtown, let alone go traveling...

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2009, 04:37 PM   #6

Napa Valley. Preferably a secluded spot.
Notmuchlonger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2009, 04:38 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

I read the title of this to Frank, since he is standing here beside me. His answer is "the U.K.".

I guess my answer is back in Hawaii, on the windward side of Oahu where I grew up. I could soak up some sunshine, get tough island feet again, have my fill of crack seed, and revisit places that I remember from my youth.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post
But there are other days where I don't even want to go downtown, let alone go traveling...
That would be just about every day, for me.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2009, 04:43 PM   #8
Gone but not forgotten

Even though it is isolated and has incredible snow storms and no shops I'd pick Lakewood ,NY because that is where my grandson ( the love of my life ) ,my daughter and son in law live .
Moemg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2009, 04:44 PM   #9
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Want2retire View Post
...have my fill of crack seed...
I thought growing that stuff was illegal.
Old 08-22-2009, 04:49 PM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
I thought growing that stuff was illegal.
Hee-hee!! It's just Chinese/Hawaiian candy.

My friends and I used to walk down from my high school to a little convenience store a half a block away, to buy crack seed. My favorite was li hing mui. Then we would stroll barefoot through the neighborhoods, eating crack seed, laughing as teenaged girls do, and always ended up being a little late for class and making up some excuse or other.

Memories are really great sometimes. I'm sure that it really wasn't THAT much fun.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2009, 04:56 PM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Grants Pass, Oregon. I've visited DH's family there; beautiful scenery and cool temps. A little piece of heaven IMO.
Old 08-22-2009, 05:02 PM   #12
Give me a forum ...

Lived and traveled in Europe for 4 years and been fortunate to travel to many parts of the world, but I'd still choose Nantucket MA May thru Oct - pure bliss IMO, especially Sept. Need to visit New Zealand though, never been...

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2009, 05:04 PM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Want2retire View Post
Hee-hee!! It's just Chinese/Hawaiian candy.
My friends and I used to walk down from my high school to a little convenience store a half a block away, to buy crack seed. My favorite was li hing mui. Then we would stroll barefoot through the neighborhoods, eating crack seed, laughing as teenaged girls do, and always ended up being a little late for class and making up some excuse or other.
What a coincidence-- we have a teen girl in the house and we have a pantry full of crack seed & li hing mui-flavored objects. I can live without li hing mui gummy bears but the powder makes a very interesting contribution to a margarita. Particularly the third & subsequent margaritas.

Our dojang is selling li hing mui fundraiser candy by the pallet case. Our kid sold $150 worth to her friends, and she's saving up the labels to make sure we put the right flavors & brands in her care packages next year. Because apparently Mainland candy somehow just doesn't taste right.

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2009, 05:36 PM   #14

I would live in Maui. We were there 15 years ago and I can still picture it clearly. As far as climate and natural beauty go, there is nowhere else I would rather spend 6 months.
grumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2009, 05:41 PM   #15
Full time employment: Posting here.

I would live in a small coastal town in Mexico or Costa Rica. I would study Spanish in the morning and go sight seeing or paint in the afternoon. I met a guy who retired in Costa Rica and now makes wine from honey.
GoodSense is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2009, 05:49 PM   #16
Recycles dryer sheets

I like the napa valley answer a lot but I would live in Queensland New Zealand.... now that is paradise...
heyduke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2009, 05:50 PM   #17
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodSense View Post
I would live in a small coastal town in Mexico or Costa Rica. I would study Spanish in the morning and go sight seeing or paint in the afternoon. I met a guy who retired in Costa Rica and now makes wine from honey.

I knew a fellow who retired in costa rica and bought a place high up in the mountains.. he could see the atlantic from his house and walk up a small hill behind it and see the pacific...incredible ehhh?
heyduke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2009, 05:57 PM   #18
Give me a forum ...

McAfee's little southern New Mexico hutment. Nice NM style adobe, nice decoration, onsite well-stocked theater, enough room to step outside and shoot a few rocks without getting the neighbors nervous, opportunity to learn trike flying, big sky, lots of stars... and I hear it's going cheap.
calmloki is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2009, 06:14 PM   #19
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by calmloki View Post
McAfee's little southern New Mexico hutment. Nice NM style adobe, nice decoration, onsite well-stocked theater, enough room to step outside and shoot a few rocks without getting the neighbors nervous, opportunity to learn trike flying, big sky, lots of stars... and I hear it's going cheap.
I read the original NYTimes article as well as his response. McAfee Responds - Economix Blog - NYTimes.com He sounds like a decent man who is not afraid to take risks and have fun, and did not blame others for the loss of his fortune. I don't have much sympathy for him, of course, since he is still worth $4 million...
GoodSense is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2009, 06:58 PM   #20
Give me a forum ...

Is Mars an option? If so that is where I'd like to spend 6 months, clearly it would be great cocktail conversation afterwords.
clifp is offline   Reply With Quote